The Student Room Group

A levels for law at uni

The three best a levels for law at uni
Original post by lot1313

My opinion: Maths, English Lit and History.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lot1313

English Literature, History & Economics
English Literature, History & Psychology (Due to the practical applications of theories regarding trial, court cases, ect...)
Original post by lot1313

I'm studying English Literature, History and Politics at A2 (I also did English Language at AS), and I highly recommend the combination. Literature and History help build up great analysis and essay skills, while it's been really interesting to learn about Politics (especially the units that are about the law, such as the judiciary). I personally wouldn't recommend taking English Language though.

Other subjects that might be useful are Maths (it's highly respected, though also difficult, and provides great skills), and possibly Law, though you wouldn't be at any advantage when it comes to starting the degree if you chose it. Opting for A level Law could help you decide whether a Law degree is right for you though.
Reply 4
English literature and history definitely

3rd can be anything really but ideally essay based... A language always looks good, or perhaps psychology, economics, etc.

Generally uni's only care about grades though and very few require lit, although evidence of essay writing is essential

(Or do what I'm taking; history English German psychology!)
Reply 5
English Lit
History
Economics
Maths
Reply 6
Original post by AdamCee
English literature and history definitely

3rd can be anything really but ideally essay based.

There are several universities - e.g.Cambridge - who like candidates to have taken Maths - I've known 2 or 3 people go to top universities for Law having done maths, Further Maths, a Science and a modern language. Just pick well regarded subjects that you enjoy.
Reply 7
Original post by Compost
There are several universities - e.g.Cambridge - who like candidates to have taken Maths - I've known 2 or 3 people go to top universities for Law having done maths, Further Maths, a Science and a modern language. Just pick well regarded subjects that you enjoy.

would english lit, history and psychology be respectable, or do you think philisophy would be better in psychologys place?
Reply 8
Original post by lot1313
would english lit, history and psychology be respectable, or do you think philisophy would be better in psychologys place?

Either of those 3 would be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest