The Student Room Group

Difficulty with asperger's classmate

I am currently at college enrolled on a science course.

I have a classmate who has Aspergers.

Yesterday we were doing a titration experiment where even one drop too much spoils the entire results.

I had the misfortune of being paired with the Aspergers classmate.

1) He constantly complained about how slow I was going, because he was bored.
2) Demanded that a plastic clamp as opposed to a metallic clamp was used because he didnt like the metallic smell.
3) Demanded that the blue plastic clamp be used as opposed to a white one because he doesnt like white.
4) Insisted on doing the titration which was badly performed and rushed, with too much of the iodine submerged into the vitamin c solution, resulting in inaccurate results.
5) Plastic clamps were not as secure as the metallic ones, resulting in the burette being dropped and the chemicals going over my lab coat. Cue screaming in my ear from my lab partner.
6) Complained when I had to sit down due to panic attack and shortness of breath as well as pain caused by arthritis in my foot.

He is disruptive, argumentative and belligerent. He does not follow lab safety and I refuse to jeopardise either my academic progress or my physical wellbeing because he is taking a hissy fit.

I am at the stage now I refuse to work with him period, but wonder just how much I would need to insist on this? I thought I would email my lecturers to advise them of my position, but am worried that might be enough.

I am not being discriminatory towards someone with a disability btw. I am merely choosing to exercise MY right to be kept safe, and to protect MY health.
Reply 1
I am sorry to hear of your experience, I have Aspergers myself, and try to be aware of the needs of others, then again I know a fair amount of people with Asperger's tend to display more "classic" autistic tendencies (like my dad -_- ) and in turn come across as very very offensive, and usually when people try to talk to them, they themselves get offended.

You do have a right, just as anyone does to feel safe and to have a better environment to work in, both you and the student in question have a right to be able to complete your education. Talk to your tutor (the one for your lesson or your main tutor) or the curriculum manager, explain your position to them calmly, and stress that it is having a terrible affect on your ability to learn. Hopefully you will have a partner that you are able to work with and they in turn will find a partner that is better equipped to handle more of their "colorful" traits. Hope it works out for you :smile:
There's a guy with Asperges in my lectures all day and he has a woman with him constantly to stop him going off on one.

Email your lecturers and tell them he's making it impossible to work in a group with him but you need some evidence otherwise it might be looked upon as discriminating.
Don't make it common knowledge you have a problem with him either as people may say you are bullying him and turn against you.

Tread carefully.
Reply 3
I think you'd be well within your rights to complain. As long as you are not being outright rude and you have tried to accommodate them, at the end of the day you are not their carer.
Reply 4
Original post by Samwin
I am sorry to hear of your experience, I have Aspergers myself, and try to be aware of the needs of others, then again I know a fair amount of people with Asperger's tend to display more "classic" autistic tendencies (like my dad -_- ) and in turn come across as very very offensive, and usually when people try to talk to them, they themselves get offended.

You do have a right, just as anyone does to feel safe and to have a better environment to work in, both you and the student in question have a right to be able to complete your education. Talk to your tutor (the one for your lesson or your main tutor) or the curriculum manager, explain your position to them calmly, and stress that it is having a terrible affect on your ability to learn. Hopefully you will have a partner that you are able to work with and they in turn will find a partner that is better equipped to handle more of their "colorful" traits. Hope it works out for you :smile:

I must make one thing very clear. I make allowances for the misreading social cues/signals; the limited focus of interests etc etc. That doesn't concern or bug me.

But where there is a real, tangible, credible risk of physical harm being caused as a result of this partner. What if the burette had been filled with acid for example? Myself and or my colleagues would have sustained an injury.

This is not an attack on Asperger's; or people who have Asperger's. I want to be very very very clear on that. In fact, I would have posted this thread if I had a lab partner who acted in the same manner, who did not have Aspergers.
I think you should do what you said and email your teacher explaining what happened and that you don't wish to to work with him anymore. Does he have a learning support assistant with him in class? Perhaps you could ask your teacher in your email whether he could be paired with his learning support assistant (or suggest finding him one if he doesn't have one already), as they will better understand his condition and needs, and also then the burden of working with him won't be on you.

I hope you're able to find a solution, I know how difficult it can be working with students on the autistic spectrum :smile:
Reply 6
Please do not misunderstand me, you sound like you have been through the ringer with this person, and condition or not, said person does need to take accountability for their actions, especially as your safety has been put at risk. I am totally on your side here and do not feel that you are going on a crusade against those with asperger's :tongue: You have just had a nasty experience with someone who just happens to have it :frown: (was just illustrating how I am not offended, well trying to anyhow)

It could happen to anyone, I had a similar experience a few years ago with someone with a personality disorder, it is not something that should be left for the students to handle alone, they have a duty of care to both of you and in turn, they have a responsibility to make sure that you are safe and are able to learn :smile: If that makes sense? (sorry sometimes am not so good at explaining myself.... :smile:

Also if more than one of you are affected, I would ask some of your colleagues to come with you and talk to the tutor/manager privately, as more than one person saying this would help I imagine. good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by Samwin
Please do not misunderstand me, you sound like you have been through the ringer with this person, and condition or not, said person does need to take accountability for their actions, especially as your safety has been put at risk. I am totally on your side here and do not feel that you are going on a crusade against those with asperger's :tongue: You have just had a nasty experience with someone who just happens to have it :frown: (was just illustrating how I am not offended, well trying to anyhow)

It could happen to anyone, I had a similar experience a few years ago with someone with a personality disorder, it is not something that should be left for the students to handle alone, they have a duty of care to both of you and in turn, they have a responsibility to make sure that you are safe and are able to learn :smile: If that makes sense? (sorry sometimes am not so good at explaining myself.... :smile:

Also if more than one of you are affected, I would ask some of your colleagues to come with you and talk to the tutor/manager privately, as more than one person saying this would help I imagine. good luck!

You seem to be getting a bit flustered when you reply to me, worried you will offend me? Worried your going to say the wrong thing? Relax, please; no need to be stressed :smile:

And your doing absolutely fine. You have clearly and eloquently articulated the point you are trying to make, and as a law graduate terms like "duty of care" etc roll right off my tongue.
Reply 8
Original post by apronedsamurai
You seem to be getting a bit flustered when you reply to me, worried you will offend me? Worried your going to say the wrong thing? Relax, please; no need to be stressed :smile:

And your doing absolutely fine. You have clearly and eloquently articulated the point you are trying to make, and as a law graduate terms like "duty of care" etc roll right off my tongue.

Thank you! :smile: I do appreciate it, apologies, as well as Aspeger's I have dyspraxia and social anxiety you see :smile: I have a tendency to put my foot in it from time to time -_- Ahh I totally get that actually with the phrase thing, :tongue: (I'm a former health and social care student xD )
Reply 9
Original post by Samwin
Thank you! :smile: I do appreciate it, apologies, as well as Aspeger's I have dyspraxia and social anxiety you see :smile: I have a tendency to put my foot in it from time to time -_- Ahh I totally get that actually with the phrase thing, :tongue: (I'm a former health and social care student xD )

I have social anxiety too and so reading your reply to me was like reading a mirror, which is why I was so precise in my reply to you. :smile:
Reply 10
I have social anxiety too and so reading your reply to me was like reading a mirror, which is why I was so precise in my reply to you. :smile:

Oooh that's awesome! :biggrin: (not that you have it :tongue: just that someone understands :3 " How are your tutors when dealing with issues? I only ask as I know they can vary (I had one that was slightly batty, seriously o.O )
I am currently at college enrolled on a science course.

I have a classmate who has Aspergers.

Yesterday we were doing a titration experiment where even one drop too much spoils the entire results.

I had the misfortune of being paired with the Aspergers classmate.

1) He constantly complained about how slow I was going, because he was bored.
2) Demanded that a plastic clamp as opposed to a metallic clamp was used because he didnt like the metallic smell.
3) Demanded that the blue plastic clamp be used as opposed to a white one because he doesnt like white.
4) Insisted on doing the titration which was badly performed and rushed, with too much of the iodine submerged into the vitamin c solution, resulting in inaccurate results.
5) Plastic clamps were not as secure as the metallic ones, resulting in the burette being dropped and the chemicals going over my lab coat. Cue screaming in my ear from my lab partner.
6) Complained when I had to sit down due to panic attack and shortness of breath as well as pain caused by arthritis in my foot.

He is disruptive, argumentative and belligerent. He does not follow lab safety and I refuse to jeopardise either my academic progress or my physical wellbeing because he is taking a hissy fit.

I am at the stage now I refuse to work with him period, but wonder just how much I would need to insist on this? I thought I would email my lecturers to advise them of my position, but am worried that might be enough.

I am not being discriminatory towards someone with a disability btw. I am merely choosing to exercise MY right to be kept safe, and to protect MY health.

Is this a long-term pairing? If it is then yes, I think the right course of action would be to contact your lecturers. If what you're saying is true then 1) he needs help but 2) it's not very fair on you to be expected to deal with this for the reasons you correctly point out. Is there no helper or anything with him in the class? Because it sounds like his issues are quite severe which makes me a bit surprised that there isn't any more visible aid for him...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending