The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Disrespectful flat neighbours

Scroll to see replies

If you haven't already, contact the SU on that second link because they're meant to be independent, and might have a different angle. Meanwhile, get a stress ball.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 21
Thanks for you're help Star!
I'm having the same problem :/ I'm right next to our kitchen and the others don't seem to understand how loud it is. They're all rally nice, I'm just not a very big 'partier'. I don't really want to move but I'm off to see the accommodation office, when I rung them up they seemed pretty sympathetic.
Reply 23
Which terrace do you live in? I've kinda got used to the noise now, however, it's still pretty bad on Tuesday night. I find that night hard to deal with.

I think they've calmed down a small amount.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
Well, I just ended up missing an important practical because of their partying. The noise kept me up to 4am and I had to get up at 8am, I had 5 alarms and slept through them all.

My lecturer is very unsympathetic to this so I didn't even bother trying to turn up to the practical. To be honest this is very frustrating because I know I would've made it to the practical if there was no partying. I don't know what to do, I can't get the room changed and I can't the lecture times changed.

It's really easy for the lecturers to say that 9am's aren't hard which is true, but they don't have to content with people partying to 4am. To be honest, you can say it's my fault but I've tried my best and I can't really do anything else if my body is going into a deep sleep and will not wake up.
Maybe you need to tell the SU or someone you're thinking about dropping out? This sounds super awful. I went to Queen's for my undergrad and we never had any of these issues. I guess Norwich is full of partiers.
Original post by STARRS
Maybe you need to tell the SU or someone you're thinking about dropping out? This sounds super awful. I went to Queen's for my undergrad and we never had any of these issues. I guess Norwich is full of partiers.

It's more the people in that hall. I was at UEA in a different hall and never heard a peep from the other flats in my block. And my flat weren't too bad.
Reply 27
Yeah I think i'm the party block lol.
Depending on how badly it is affecting your studies, you could consider a transfer to a different uni? I know it sounds drastic, but if you're falling behind in work etc. Also earplugs.
I'm guessing that you're in the Ziggurats, ifcso there is a possible solution. I'd say there's a high possibility that there is someone in a flat which goes quiet at 11/12 but would rather be in a flat which is like yours. If you could find that person & both of you go to the accommodation office together, that might get both of you the swap you want. To find each other needs one of you to start asking. To do this, you could ask your resident assistant to ask other assistants if they are aware of someone in a quieter flat wanting to move to a livelier one. If you're on Facebook, join the group for your halls & post there. Maybe do a notice that could be put on the notice board of each block in the terraces asking. Ask people on your course as well. Hope you get it sorted soon.
If you are being kept awake because of noise, or it is generally disturbing you, you need to call your senior resident WHEN it is happening - they will then come and shut it down, and if it's their first time, warn them. If they continue with loud noise, that night, or in the future, they'll then get fined - about £300 I think.
Do you know if anyone else in your block is affected? Just thinking that if a few of you start complaining, they may start doing something.

As for alarms - I have one where you can change the volume. And you can get vibrating ones.
I'd call their senior residents. SR's hate having to get up to deal with the issue, so if they have to get up to deal with it more than a couple of times, they'll probably take action themselves.

I really hope things get better for you mate. My first year halls weren't anything like that bad, but I did have some pretty unbearable weeks so I know how it can get you down. Last resort, ask accommodation if they have any rooms in the university-owned houses; you can also lodge relatively afford-ably, if they'll allow you to terminate your contract. At this stage of term I really don't think it is unreasonable for people to keep their partying to weekends/decent hours, so you're in the right to make any complaints you can!!
Reply 33
Raging last night. Had disco lights on last night, loud thunping music at 2am. Made sure to ring up.

It's calmed down a bit since but it's still a bit mad. These people don't have any respect for anyone.
Hi Frostyjoe,

I would be keen to hear who you have spoken to and the unresolved issues - please email me [email protected]

If anyone spots any broken links with the website/portal please also let me know as I can ensure this is fixed.
Call the police, after 11:00 pm if they are keeping you awake, they are breaking the law. Simple as that. 2-3 visits and stuff will be getting confiscated, anti-social behaviour it's called especially on week nights. Good luck!
Reply 36
LOL. It still goes on (It's always the same flat - I know because I look out my blinds every night and I always see them shouting and dancing in their kitchen).

They brought people round last night and had a party so I reported them because I'm actually revising. I know it's Christmas but some of us actually have exams. I've noticed a rapid increase in noise levels since this week has ended so I'm quite worried about next week as I have exams.

I don't know why they're still here if they don't have exams they should really go home or least quiet down because I and others have to revise. I normally don't report it but I've got impatient and have no time for their nonsense. They were really annoying all day today, out in the green shouting and making a fool of themselves.

It's actually very quiet here where I am bar that flat, they are the only flat that makes noise. I can barely hear the people next door to me. It'd be great if they just pissed off home and gave me head peace tbh, kinda sick of them and their noise.
(edited 8 years ago)
Can I ask if you put the Ziggurats as one of your choices for accommodation?

Also, is UEA generally a very party-heavy university? I'd like to focus more on my studies at uni - not the party type - and I'm trying to decide if I should accept my offer from UEA. This isn't the first time I've heard complaints about too much partying especially from flatmates.

As well as smoking/drugs and stuff.
Reply 38
Well I don't know about drugs, I wouldn't be surprised if it is there but I think it's the kind of thing that if you stay away from it you will be fine. They do, however, smoke, i've got no idea what the percentages are but just looking around i'd say about 70% of people smoke in this area - it really, really stinks on the walkway because they all stand there and smoke 24/7.

There are some derraranged people though who just seem to come here to party so I would not recommend living in the Terraces if you are not interested in partying. Like right now, they're making alot of noise outside (same flat) and doing really childish things like wresting etc - to be honest I don't understand how they would have the time to do that, they must be studying media studies or something.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AgnesGrey1
Can I ask if you put the Ziggurats as one of your choices for accommodation?

Also, is UEA generally a very party-heavy university? I'd like to focus more on my studies at uni - not the party type - and I'm trying to decide if I should accept my offer from UEA. This isn't the first time I've heard complaints about too much partying especially from flatmates.

As well as smoking/drugs and stuff.

I don't think it's any more than most tbh,, its common at nearly all unis for a fair number of students to want to go out clubbing- but the Ziggurats have a reputation as being the most party hall, I guess because of the large flats & the fact its mostly home students who are more party orientated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending