The Student Room Group
Well this all depends on what you get in A level. If you end up with acceptable grades for medicine, generally something along the lines of AAB, then you'll only be there to get more grades a la Philosoraptor. If however you do it because you don't get the grades and have to resit , that's something different. It gets messy with extenuating circumstances, or commonly you must get AAA in this resit.
Reply 2
Philosoraptor
Well this all depends on what you get in A level. If you end up with acceptable grades for medicine, generally something along the lines of AAB, then you'll only be there to get more grades a la Philosoraptor. If however you do it because you don't get the grades and have to resit , that's something different. It gets messy with extenuating circumstances, or commonly you must get AAA in this resit.

so...
if i stay at college just to get more grades but have good enough grades for medicine already i.e. AAB then would unis not mind me applying there ?

thanks for your help already just a bit confused :confused:
Of course not! Why would they, you're doing something useful with the year!
It's what I'm doing - and I had multiple interviews and am going to be going to UCL in September!
Reply 4
Philosoraptor
Of course not! Why would they, you're doing something useful with the year!
It's what I'm doing - and I had multiple interviews and am going to be going to UCL in September!

thanks for your help!

its nice to know someone who has done this and got into medical school!

mc :biggrin:
Although this is the first time I've applied for medical school btw! Just a point!
Reply 6
Philosoraptor
Although this is the first time I've applied for medical school btw! Just a point!

i hope that doesn't make a difference because i applied this year but didn't get in :frown:

by the way do you have to pay to go to college for the extra year and if you do how much does it cost?

thanks

mc :biggrin:
No, in general, as long as you are under 19 at the start of the academic year you don't pay. But that's in my area, don't know if it's the same everywhere - but probably it is.
Reply 8
There are some unis which would accept resits without mitigating cirumstances, some which require mitigation, and others which don't accept resits full stop.

As for the grades you would need, typically a resit student would be asked for AAA however there are a handful of unviersities which would ask for AAB from resit students even without mitigation. Some would still ask for AAB if you had valid mitigating circumstances.

It's worth researching out the options available.
Reply 9
Universities which ask for AAB from resits:

Aberdeen (M).
Birmingham (M).
BSMS.
Bristol (M).
East Anglia.
Glasgow (M).
GKT (M) *Enquire about this one.
Southampton (M).

(M) denotes that resit candidates require valid mitigating circumstances in order for their application to be considered.

Latest

Trending

Trending