The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by EmmiLou
Didn't see that you said it was today! Good Luck! :biggrin:

Original post by EmmiLou

Thanks they said 2 hours one and a half on floor then half hour interview, ok and yeah speke how you know :tongue: lol
Reply 101
Original post by EmmiLou

well i feel it went good, but theres 2 jobs and 4 trials, and im the first another one today then 2 on tuesday :frown: so i feel i have to make the biggest impression as il be forgot quicker as il be least memorable tuesday night , :frown: really hope i got it, it seems an amazing place to work i think id love it so much. gota wait till thursday to find out :'(
Good luck Phil! I have my group assessment on Sunday evening, if anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it! :smile:
Reply 103
Ahh i got the job thrilled! Start soon so pleased
I just got a job in my local Pets at Home :smile:
I start tomorrow at 6am.

For my work trial I didn't have to clean out any animal cages, I was just put on the till with a member of staff for 20 minutes and she basically let me work away. Those tills are the easiest I've ever worked!
I think that's all there was to ours because they had five people all in almost at the same time (2pm, 2.15, 2.30 etc) so ours was a bit rushed maybe.

Can't believe I got it! I was so nervous!
Reply 105
Original post by hitherebeckyy
I just got a job in my local Pets at Home :smile:
I start tomorrow at 6am.

For my work trial I didn't have to clean out any animal cages, I was just put on the till with a member of staff for 20 minutes and she basically let me work away. Those tills are the easiest I've ever worked!
I think that's all there was to ours because they had five people all in almost at the same time (2pm, 2.15, 2.30 etc) so ours was a bit rushed maybe.

Can't believe I got it! I was so nervous!

Thats good what store you at? 6am ouch lol
After I applied at the end of March, I just had my interview on Sunday after a cancelled interview last month, then called back on Monday afternoon for the work trial and told on Tuesday I had the job! Very pleased!
I had my group assessment last week and I have the work trial and interview soon and I was told to dress smart casual but not too smart because I'd be getting dirty cleaning out animal cages and doing delivery... not sure how many positions are available but I had 8 people at my group assessment. really need this job haha
Hi foxiroxi, Do you think there's any chance they'll hire a 14 year old? :smile:
Original post by foxiroxi
Well I work there so anythign you want to know just ask!!!!

Firstly just go to your local store and ask if there are any jobs going. They can give you an application form :smile:

I assume you will want full time hours. Depending on the store depends on your hours you will work. Whist at Letchworth I would either start at 7am, 9:15, 11:45 or 13:15 and work untill either 16:15, 18:30, 20:30 or 22:30 when working full time however shifts can and may vary. I also used to do 16:30 till 20:30 whist at school.

Most stores want you to be flexible and work week days and weekends

early shifts (7am start) you will be expected to clean out the animals where's a twilight (untill 22:00) you will concentrate on delivery. Not all stores have twilights though.

Your main job will be to help customers, for this you need knowledge on products and animals. you will need to know about the animals sold aswell as animal's caterd for. Dog nutrition is VERY big at the moment :smile:

You will have to do everything, clean animals, look after ill animals, tills, delivery, work back stock, clean the shopfloor (shelves etc) You will do promo changes (oh how fun! Not!)

However I love the job. You will learn so much more about animals and their care :smile:

As I said at the start feel free to ask me any questions :smile: If you get an interview I could try and help you with what they look for although each manager is different :smile:

Anyway I must go...working a twilight tonight from 6-10 which will mostly consist of customers wanting fish untill 8 (when the store shuts) then aving to do a day's deleivery in 2 hours! :biggrin: ..... oh I love this job.....sometimes! :biggrin:

Do You think they'll hire a 14 year old?
definitely not
Original post by sarah11111
Do You think they'll hire a 14 year old?

definitely not
you may be able to get work experience though
Hey all, I work in pets at home and have done for about 4 months so if anyone has any questions please ask :smile: :smile:
Hii, iv got a group assesment tomorrow & im really nervous about the questions theyl ask expecially the ones where they say what could you bring to this company & why do you want to work for us. I have no idea what to say to that could anyone help me? Thanks :smile:
So I've applied for a part time job at my local pets at home, It's been 3 days and I'm really hoping to hear back of them. Is that a good thing? Am I being impatient? I am a full time student but I have days off and I said i'm happy to work all days off. Do they get back to you on if you are going to have an interview. I would love to get the job as I adore animals completely.
Original post by Debbiexx
So I've applied for a part time job at my local pets at home, It's been 3 days and I'm really hoping to hear back of them. Is that a good thing? Am I being impatient? I am a full time student but I have days off and I said i'm happy to work all days off. Do they get back to you on if you are going to have an interview. I would love to get the job as I adore animals completely.

Hi, I work for one of the larger flagship stores in the pets at home company, and I am currently in college. I have nearly been there a year now and am loving the job and the people! great place to work.

In terms of hearing back, I heard about the group interview about a month after applying. so just be patient. you will not hear anything if you have been unsuccessful at this stage, so if it reaches the 2 month mark I would let it go (they are always flooded with applicants and its very tough to get a job here)

On the group interview they ask you to make up a display for customers, mine was a rabbit hutch, but others are often asked to do fish tanks. you will be put into groups for this, but I would recommend you try to make yourself stand out, whilst still working well as a team. after this you are taken away by a colleague who interviews you 1 on 1. they will ask you why you want to work here, and also your availability. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD AVAILABILITY, as they want flexible people. also one last tip is that if they do invite you to this stage, it does say on the email if you cant make it you can reschedule, this does not exist so make yourself free no matter what on that date.

after this the manager assess all the scoring sheets (yes you are individually scored on the group interview on things like, teamwork, leadership, individuality, friendliness, likability and flexibility to work. this is done by the colleagues as the managers like to have people who the colleagues would enjoy working with.

once the scoring sheets have been assessed, the best scorers will be invited to a work trial which consists of four sections, each again is scored using a scoring sheet by various colleagues. firstly you will have half an hour of facing up the store, making it look nice. you are instructed on how best to do this, and here as well as your facing up skills they are assessing how well you listen to instructions and pick things up. secondly for half an hour you will clean out a cage of an animal. thirdly for half an hour you will be on the tills. now this one is important, make sure you say some of these essential things

"was everything okay in store today?"
"would you like a bag?"
"do you have a VIP card?"
"thank you, have a nice day"

they are very important for everyday customer service.

lastly is the formal interview with the manager, this is pretty much like any other interview, the questions include why do you want to work here, your skills etc.

after this you will be sent home and the successful colleagues will be contacted and a date will be arranged for your first shift.

for both events you need to wear smart casual attire, it must be suitable to clean out in whilst also looking smart. I wore chino pants, a button up shirt and a green fitted jumper to go with company colours. black comfy flat shoes are also essential.

I wish you the best of luck, and if you have any questions regarding pets at home please feel free to PM me!
I have recently just been to a recruitment evening and its been just a bit longer then a week. They said id get either a phone call or an email and i haven't heard either yet. Am i just being inpatient? Is this normal?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by my_giraffe_wins
I have recently just been to a recruitment evening and its been just a bit longer then a week. They said id get either a phone call or an email and i haven't heard either yet. Am i just being inpatient? Is this normal?

My store got back to me with positive news 2 days after my recruitment day, they usually say up to a week.

They never sent emails to those they weren't considering any further

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was wondering if it is policy to let everyone know the outcome after they have done the work trial? I should have asked in the interview.. I just left my old job in tesco, now I'm freaking out! Lol fingers crossed
Original post by Conormozart
I was wondering if it is policy to let everyone know the outcome after they have done the work trial? I should have asked in the interview.. I just left my old job in tesco, now I'm freaking out! Lol fingers crossed

I had a work trial a couple of days ago and got told you receive an email either way! Though I don't plan on leaving my job until i do hear back haha!
Original post by laurennmc
I had a work trial a couple of days ago and got told you receive an email either way! Though I don't plan on leaving my job until i do hear back haha!

ahwell.. Hopes still alive I suppose.! :/ haha

Latest

Trending

Trending