The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Redredred
If you see my paintings seanaldo, I'm sure you're view would be slightly shaken. My predominate point was concerning art being 'taught'. Clearly it is very useful for a lot of people, but fundamentally, you can learn all of it through experience and deploying a God given talent.

As for artists not being able to make a living - that's a whole different story.
I understand your point about the commission taken by agents etc., and in that respect you're right, but if you really think that no artist can live on their work, then we would have very little artists around. But we don't - there are a profusion of freelance artists in the world who make money out of their work by promoting themselves well. Are you aware that, for a proffessional portrait, a good artist charges approximately 7 grand? Without an agent, just 3 of these a year would get you 21 grand.

As i aim to live off my artwork - yes i am fully aware that it is possible! As i am also focusing my work on the figure and portraiture - yes i have done my research and know what price paintings should fetch. However - this is predominately sold at those sort of prices, by people who notice the artists background (for example; where he/she did their MA) and as you are 17 and im guessing doing either A level or ND course, your paintings would almost certainly fetch no more than about £200 no matter how good you think, or your friends have told you your paintings are. I welcome you to send me some photos of your work to my email ([email protected]) and if they really do take my breath away, i shall post an apology on here for not believing you.

In response to your first paragraph, self taught art is not impossible - but i seriously doubt that a self taught artist has better skill than that of an educated one. 'God given gift' will only get you so far by yourself, when applied to a taught enviroment - a quality artist is produced. If you insist on being self taught - in my opinon you will ultimately learn less in a hell of alot longer time. I think you are being quite narrow minded in this respect, and i will refuse to take you seriously until you either start a quality course at a higher level, so you can realize yourself - or you send me a photo of your work and prove me wrong ! :smile:
Reply 21
Well anyway: back to the Ruskin.
The school has had minimal impact on the art scene for a few reasons - its enrolment is too small and its grade requirements are too high.

In terms of the work graduates produce, from what i've seen of the degree shows it does have a conceptual slant but the graduates i've seen practicing as artists are more traditional in approach. But perhaps this is just the impact of Richard Wentworth seeping through - he was after all involved in setting up the interdisciplinary course at Goldsmiths College that produced all these Turner winning types.

Basically the main appeal of the Ruskin is that it's close enough to London to take the odd weekend trip yet that it's apart of Oxford University, which will soften the blow when you tell your parents you want to go to art school.

I researched the school for my BA applications this year but decided it wasn't for me. I'm going to Goldsmiths in September.
I am applying to Ruskin and expect to be offered a scholarship.

Please take a look at some pieces from my portfolio and i think you will agree:

My neighbour's baby named Caleb:

( ^ this was present for his birthday)

Drawing of feet (is very difficult to draw feet)

that_diesel

I dont agree. I think the drawings are quite good - but they are not of the high standard i would expect ! For example the portrait seems ok at first glance, proportions etc are in order - however at closer inspection you notice that the quality of line and the shading is really quite basic and crude.
seanaldo123
I dont agree. I think the drawings are quite good - but they are not of the high standard i would expect ! For example the portrait seems ok at first glance, proportions etc are in order - however at closer inspection you notice that the quality of line and the shading is really quite basic and crude.

Thank you for your remarks which I find helpful. I have given you positive reputation.

However I think you cannot know much about art!! The portrait you talk about (of the baby Caleb) - I am working to a style known as Martinism. It was pioneered by my art teacher Alex Martin in 1992. Therefore you are wrong to say the shading is basic and crude. This is the basis of Martinism.
Reply 25
martinism= poorly executed art brut?
as amusing as it was, the joke wears thin when repeated
itsonlyajoke
martinism= poorly executed art brut?

You seem to crop up on every thread that I post on! I wish you would leave me alone to have discussions with my fellow artists.

And what does "brut" mean?
Art Brut/ Outsider Art is work produced by people with psychiatric disorders who are self taught.

I'm having trouble believing he isn't having a laugh. It's just too funny.
Cthulhufiend
Art Brut/ Outsider Art is work produced by people with psychiatric disorders who are self taught.

I resent people making assumptions that I have a mental disorder. Mental illness is a serious thing, and just because I am creative doesn't mean I have a psychiatric problem.

And I am not self-taught. I learn under Mr Martin - an excellent teacher. This is one of the comments he made on my report before I took my GCSEs:

"Saurabh puts an enormous amount of effort into his work"
Reply 29
you can put an enormous amount of work into anything and get nothing out of it......he doesnt say your the best student hes ever taught!
xkatb15x
you can put an enormous amount of work into anything and get nothing out of it......he doesnt say your the best student hes ever taught!

Yes he does.
Reply 31
Cthulhufiend

I know exactly what you mean! I don't think I could have scripted this.
Reply 32
The Slade publishes on its website that the final year degree show is attended by 2000 guests (!) Does anybody know how popular the Ruskin Degree Show is? It strikes me that this exhibition is an artist's first important exhibition and I certainly would like 2000 people attending mine!! haha

With opinions about Ruskin aside, anybody have a clue about their degree show??
I have a few friends currently doing their postgrad studies in fine art at the various london schools and the impression i got was that none of the them seemed to have met anyone from oxford on their respective courses at Chelsea, the RA, the RCA etc. On top of which, there are virtually no well known contemporary artists who studied at the Ruskin. You could say it's a result of their size but slade students (the slade takes 40 a year whereas the ruskin takes 25) seem to be as present on the british art scene as anyone else. Not that the Turner prize is the be all and end all of contemporary art but, as some one mentioned before, if you went through the cv's of the various nominees you'd find that a lot, if not most, of them went to the Glasgow School of Art, Chelsea, St Martin's, Goldsmith's or the Slade for their first degree. I think most people (including myself at some point) sold themselves on oxford because oxford is oxford which is fine, just bear in mind that there are several factors indicating that it may not be the best place in the UK to study art.

PS. I recently met a guy who'd studied history at oxford for eight years and he was under the impression that the Ruskin wasn't even part of oxford. Just saying

PPS. RE: That_Diesel. You should probably heed your fellow artists' advice. You have A LOT of work to do before you can hope to get into the ruskin or any fine art BA course at all for that matter. I'd suggest doing a foundation first if you're serious about art.
Reply 34
that_diesel
I am applying to Ruskin and expect to be offered a scholarship.

My neighbour's baby named Caleb:

( ^ this was present for his birthday)

Drawing of feet (is very difficult to draw feet)

wow. i cant believ how arrogant you are. are you for real? I don't wana apply for Ruskin if people like you are applying. I shouldn't be too worried though, whatever the technique is called I'm not very impressed with your work. Sorry.
Reply 35
Jekyll
wow. i cant believ how arrogant you are. are you for real? I don't wana apply for Ruskin if people like you are applying. I shouldn't be too worried though, whatever the technique is called I'm not very impressed with your work. Sorry.

I think you should be aware that they were (probably/hopefully) taking the piss :smile:

Latest