The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thank you for your reply, dreamqueen. I completely agree with much of what you're saying. I don't think that an advantage like one-on-one teaching should be ignored, because it's certainly a valid reason for choosing a course. What I am saying, though, is that certain things suit certain people. One-on-one teaching--as beneficial as it can be--would be a drawback for some. Sadly, much of this is a result of a person's background. A comprehensive school student would be less able in holding flowing discourse with a literary expert -- it's just the way it is; public schools teach (in an indirect manner, perhaps) their students how to speak, state schools do not. I'm not looking for the "state school sympathy vote" (I bet you're sick of it), just stating the facts; and I personally think it's the primary way in which state schools could be improved. I managed to squeeze my way through an Oxford interview, but found it so straining, that it would be too difficult to maintain over a period of three years. Obviously, I am generalising, here; there may be comp. students on this board who are finding Oxbridge a stroll in ther park. I am by no means doubting the fact that the likes of Oxford, Cambridge and UCL are academic institutions of brilliance, just that this fact does not make them perfect for everyone.
A comprehensive school student would be less able in holding flowing discourse with a literary expert -- it's just the way it is; public schools teach (in an indirect manner, perhaps) their students how to speak, state schools do not

A flowing discourse with an expert in unteachable, I say this as a comprehensive student, also from Newcastle... Most of the private school kids on my course couldn't hold down an intelligent conversation with a parrot... and they're all from Eton/Oundle/Ruby/Charterhouse/Lancing/Westminster &c.
Reply 22
PrinceOfCats
A flowing discourse with an expert in unteachable, I say this as a comprehensive student, also from Newcastle... Most of the private school kids on my course couldn't hold down an intelligent conversation with a parrot... and they're all from Eton/Oundle/Ruby/Charterhouse/Lancing/Westminster &c.

P of Cats, are you studying at Newcastle or UCL?
pharmakos
P of Cats, are you studying at Newcastle or UCL?

UCL.
Reply 24
Nicholas Urfe: excellent post.

Why does anyone give a damn about who had the first English department? That doesn't necessarily make it better. And I don't know how anyone can truly compare two universities having only gone to one, except by reputation (which isn't always accurate) and names. Even fantastic academics don't necessarily make good tutors.

Personally, I'd choose UCL. But that doesn't really matter - you should go where you want to for the university experience and the course. If you have international ambitions, UCL would be better as it is internationally renowned.

The guy who talked about the elitism at UCL - really!? I know a few people there who aren't like that at all and they're very happy. Also, Durham is meant to be like that but I find it easy to avoid all of the tossers like that (there aren't that many anyway).

Latest

Trending

Trending