The Student Room Group

A few problems I need help with!

Hi every1,

I'm new here lol. Well here's the story so far. 2A*.s 6A's and 1B for my GCSE's. Not perfect but considering I come from a school where 2 in 3 of us would leave from our school without 5 A-C GCSE's I think I did well. I really want to medicine and I've taken steps to make sure I get there. I do all sciences (except maths) and eng lit for A-levels and I am predicted A's in these. I think I'll get them easily. For some crazy reason, I find A-levels easier than GCSE's Confused lol. I've already done work experience at a GP's and I have a 2 week work experience at my local hospital for comming summer. I also teach english to african children with severe mental disabilities.

Anyway, If I were to get AAAA for my AS's. I would like to apply for the top uni's. You know, Imperial, Kings Coll and maybe just maybe Cambridge. Would I get an interview? Also, How hard is the UKCAT and BMAT? And I read in the UCL website I would need to get 19+ on my BMAT. Just how difficult is this score? Maths is a slight weakness of mine but its nothing that hours of work can't cure lol.

Thank You every1!
Reply 1
Hey! Welcome to TSR!

I think you have a chance for medicine. However, I would look carefully if your going to apply to cambridge with your GCSE's. I too would like to know how hard the BMAT and UKCAT is.
Reply 2
Hey mojomojo,

You seem to be interested in exactly the same unis as me:Cambridge, Imperial, Kings and UCL. Your GCSEs are below average for med but from the sounds of your school you did very well and this will be taken into account by universities so dont worry about that. Clearly your predicted AS levels are fine and your work experience sounds good as well as long as you learnt a lot from it of course :wink:

I'd advise you to maybe do a bit more voluntary work though. Med applicant tend to do a lot of volunteering for example i've done some volunteer work helping children with additional needs, volunteer at a care home, am a volunteer with a scheme called southern befrienders which involves being assigned to an elderly person and just giving them some company for a few hours a week, and I will soon start volunteering in a hospice. I still dont feel as though ive done enough though. I love doing this sort of thing so I may volunteer in the special needs department at school during my lunch hour or something. Just a few suggestions for you. The volunteering you've done so far sounds fantasic though and its certainly different.

As far as Cambridge goes you will almost certainly get an interview. Most applicant do if they have a realistic chance of being given an offer :biggrin:

As for the BMAT and UKCAT...I have no idea :s-smilie: I think most people view the BMAT as being more difficult but it probably varies from person to person i suppose. Try the practice paper on their website. A score of 19 is quite good i think...not sure though. I suppose it's not too hard to achieve. I think it depends on what A-levels you took.
The UKCAT is commonsense. The hardest thing about it is the time limit. And no - there is no way to prepare or revise.

The BMAT is really tough, and so it should be. It's the hardest exam you'll have done up until now and it's supposed to get you thinking logically rather than just regurgitating set answers. You're up against med school applicants (who will all be pretty intelligent) and the ones applying for the most academic med schools no less so the paper is really designed to challenge you. The first section is just general. You might have to do some maths problems or read through a short passage etc. Second is science and while it's not above GCSE level, the questions do require a lot of thought. Basic rule of thumb for the first two sections is to tackle the shorter easier looking ones first and leave the longer convoluted ones to the end. And spend the last few minutes putting all As or all Bs (etc) in the remaining boxes (chances are you'll get more right than if you just stuck random ones in...I forgot to do this though!) Last section is the critical thinking easy and the best advice I can give is spend half the time planning it out so you don't go off in tangents in the essay. It should be succinct and flow logically. Choose two or three good points and develop instead of loads of little ones.
His GCSEs are below average? THen what are mine lol? They have a good shot for UCL and Imperial if they do well in BMAT, and if exceptionally well for Oxford too.
Bear in mind that with your GCSEs you'd be better applying to Cambridge. They're not bad grades, but Oxford take both GCSEs and BMAT scores into account when shortlisting candidates for interview, whereas Cambridge gives most people a shot at interview and uses the BMAT for the final decisions.

The admissions statistics for shortlisting at Oxford can be found here

You have 22% A*s which means you have to get in roughly the top 9% of applicants to be guaranteed an interview. This equates to a pretty high BMAT score.

But you seem to be more interested in Cambridge so this is all redundant :p:
Reply 6
Philosoraptor
His GCSEs are below average? THen what are mine lol? They have a good shot for UCL and Imperial if they do well in BMAT, and if exceptionally well for Oxford too.

I read somewhere the average was 7 A*s :confused: Maybe its not then, i dunno. His results are good though in comparison with the rest of his school's results-very good infact. Yes i agree btw, he does have a good shot at at any university :smile:
You're probably right actually. I probably walked in with blind optimism :p:
Reply 8
Philosoraptor
You're probably right actually. I probably walked in with blind optimism :p:

ignorance is bliss :cool:
Reply 9
Philosoraptor
His GCSEs are below average? THen what are mine lol?
Better than mine.
ever heard of the term "grade inflation" renal?
Either I'm going crazy , or posts I could have sworn I posted keep going missing.
Reply 12
shatteredmedic
Yer, aren't you supposed to not believe in it.

And I don't believe that 4As, 6Bs and a D from a good school were worth that much, even 8 years ago.
not that i know much about these things, but i would have thought that each of those grades would go up one by todays standards. have u ever picked up one of todays gcse revision guide's?
Reply 14
shatteredmedic

In that case, his grades are much better than mine.

Latest

Trending

Trending