The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Is it worth me applying for the maths masters at Cambridge?

I just graduated from KCL with a first class honours in mathematics (I averaged a 75% overall, so quite a low first). However, I don't think I am that great at the subject compared to my peers. I do enjoy it though. The thing with me is that it takes me a while to understand a concept but if I work hard at it then I'll understand it no problems. I guess it's just a confidence issue really. Would it be a waste of time to apply, considering the competition that there is? I'm not sure that I stand a chance.

Thanks for reading :-)
You need to work on your self-confidence, because when you do you'll see that you've got just as much chance as any other applicant who has a first. Good luck!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by malteser12345
I just graduated from KCL with a first class honours in mathematics (I averaged a 75% overall, so quite a low first). However, I don't think I am that great at the subject compared to my peers. I do enjoy it though. The thing with me is that it takes me a while to understand a concept but if I work hard at it then I'll understand it no problems. I guess it's just a confidence issue really. Would it be a waste of time to apply, considering the competition that there is? I'm not sure that I stand a chance.

A first from good RG uni = definitely worth applying :smile:
Original post by malteser12345

The Master's in Maths at Cambridge- known as 'Part III (3) Maths' is one of the toughest degree courses in the country. It's not for everyone and I've got some very talented friends who didn't do so well in it last year. Think about it carefully, otherwise you might end up being quite miserable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending