The Student Room Group

Will choosing 3 sciences at A-level limit me?

Hello all! I'm currently in year 11 at school and I am about to sit my GCSEs this May/June. I've recently been thinking about A-levels, and I am very science/maths oriented so I came up with: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. In the future, I am hoping to go in to the computer science / engineering area and there's a slight chance I may go down a medical route but this isn't as likely.

However, I am slightly concerned that I am limiting myself by choosing all 3 sciences. Will universities consider me a 'bad' applicant because I don't have a wide enough range of subjects?

Thanks for all the help :smile:
To get into top universities you need to have relevant subjects and not a wide enough range of subjects. Have a look at the courses you may want to study in university to see what subjects they want. For computer science and engineering you may want to consider further maths.
Original post by Joshua-P
Hello all! I'm currently in year 11 at school and I am about to sit my GCSEs this May/June. I've recently been thinking about A-levels, and I am very science/maths oriented so I came up with: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. In the future, I am hoping to go in to the computer science / engineering area and there's a slight chance I may go down a medical route but this isn't as likely.

However, I am slightly concerned that I am limiting myself by choosing all 3 sciences. Will universities consider me a 'bad' applicant because I don't have a wide enough range of subjects?

Thanks for all the help :smile:

No, for those university subjects, you wouldn't need to show a wide range of subjects. Doing the relevant subjects is what's important.

As above, if you want to do Computer Science or Engineering, Further Maths may be useful.
Reply 3
Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry/Computing is the ultimate combo for CompSci/Engineering.

Quick Reply

Latest