The Student Room Group

a level option choices

I was planning to take biology, maths and psychology and have been for a while now as these subjects interest me. But now I realise a lot of things I'm interested in doing after A levels, possibly veterinary, medicine, neurology or something involving biology also commonly requires A level chemistry. I dread chemistry even though I've been getting the highest grades in it in my GCSE mocks, and now I'm unsure whether to replace psychology (which I'm super interested in and excited for) for chemistry to widen my options after sixth form or to take 4 A levels (I'd rather die). I might end up just forgetting chemistry and keeping the A levels I'd enjoy and have been wanting to do since forever, and choosing a course to take that doesn't require me to take chemistry. I feel like I would feel more limited though. What do you guys think?
Original post by kmarcz
I was planning to take biology, maths and psychology and have been for a while now as these subjects interest me. But now I realise a lot of things I'm interested in doing after A levels, possibly veterinary, medicine, neurology or something involving biology also commonly requires A level chemistry. I dread chemistry even though I've been getting the highest grades in it in my GCSE mocks, and now I'm unsure whether to replace psychology (which I'm super interested in and excited for) for chemistry to widen my options after sixth form or to take 4 A levels (I'd rather die). I might end up just forgetting chemistry and keeping the A levels I'd enjoy and have been wanting to do since forever, and choosing a course to take that doesn't require me to take chemistry. I feel like I would feel more limited though. What do you guys think?

No. Stick with your options and do what you love. Better to thrive than to struggle then drop out. Good luck
Original post by kmarcz

First of all, well done for having spotted this now - not two years from now. I see so many posts on TSR where people say, I took "X, Y and Z" for A levels. Will I be able to do a degree in W? (When really, they should have checked the entry requirements for W before choosing their A levels - as you have.)

I guess you need to reconcile the fact that you're "super interested in and excited for" Psychology, but are interested in "possibly veterinary, medicine, neurology or something involving biology". Which is more important to you? If you were dead-set of doing a medical degree (for example), then you would have little choice but to choose subjects that would stand you the best chance of securing an offer to study that degree.

But that doesn't seem you be the case. You say "possibly" and refer to "a lot of things I'm interested in doing after A levels". Contrast that with how you talk about Psychology, which you sound very enthusiastic about. I agree with @Wired_1800, stick with your original subjects. You'll enjoy your A levels more and will get better grades as a result. That will, in itself, help you when making applications to university.

The decision might close a few doors for you. But it will open just as many. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by kmarcz

i'd say stick with the subjects you're interested in unless you're dead set on medicine, a lot of people who take chem but don't enjoy it tend to drop out or not do very well in the end which would limit you more than doing 3 subjects you actually like and getting good grades in all of them. if it's healthcare you're interested in many courses only require a level biology such as midwifery, radiography and nursing
Original post by kmarcz

hello, you can still get into medicine, neuroscience etc without a level chemistry. most do require it but because you have maths and psychology others would not see it as an issue. some unis like southampton see psychology and even geography as a science for medicine, others will accept maths or physics as a science as long as you have biology etc. if you don’t think you’ll get good grades in chem at a level don’t do it. it depends on what you would like to study at uni though, I would check the common subject requirements of these degrees and look at a few uni websites that offer them. also, the trio you picked is the one I did and there’s elements in each that complement the other subject. it’s up to you, my advice is to trust your gut, and do the subjects that you enjoy, need for your future study and think you will achieve good grades in. doing some research may help

Quick Reply

Latest