The Student Room Group

Males-what do you think when a female cries?

I rarely ever cry in public but i have cried infront of a male acquintance before. It was very weird and awkward to say the least. He didn't really say much and tried to get away from the situation. So i was thinking, as guys are the gender which rarely ever cry, what are your first thoughts when you see a female crying whether that be a relative (mum, sister) , a friend, or a compete stranger. Do you feel awkward seeing them crying? Also, what do you think of a female crying in a workplace environment for whatever reason? Would it be seen as weak?

Scroll to see replies

My first thought?
"Oh crikey, what did I do?"
Reply 2
Initially it was awkward, but nowadays, I'd try to give my support to the best of my ability.

Crying in the workplace is a bit of a no no for me, especially in front of other staffs (unless it's something really tragic like the sudden death of one's child)
My first thought is oh dear here we go again. They make me feel very awkward, I don't like it when people bring down the mood. It's wrong to cry in the workplace, it should be done in private. I can't empathise with them or relate in any way, I don't approve of that behaviour.
Reply 4
Original post by kka25
Initially it was awkward, but nowadays, I'd try to give my support to the best of my ability.

Crying in the workplace is a bit of a no no for me, especially in front of other staffs (unless it's something really tragic like the sudden death of one's child)

Why do you think it's awkward.

Yes. I agree with you that it is very unprofessional to cry in the workplace.
Reply 5
Original post by Savage R3N3GAD3
My first thought is oh dear here we go again. They make me feel very awkward, I don't like it when people bring down the mood. It's wrong to cry in the workplace, it should be done in private. I can't empathise with them or relate in any way, I don't approve of that behaviour.

What if something happens that upsets them? For example hearing of a sudden death of a loved one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
"Are they alright? Shall I ask them?"

Find it a bit weird when people cry around me cos I don't really know what to do.
This is a good question OP and I think we should give the ones that dunno what to do and want to run away some advice...

Don't run away because imagine if you were upset (okay not crying if you're not a crier but...) and someone did a runner just as you were being honest about your problems.

Sit with them without looking absolutely shell shocked and unsure what to do...show you're at least trying to understand what she's going through

Maybe even try to help if you can and if you manage to overcome your fears maybe you can give them a nice big hug and say you hope they feel better/or whatever it is gets sorted.

In sum... No need to look like you've seen a ghost.
Reply 8

"here we go again"that is an awful response. females dont cry all the time. sometimes people need to have a good cry to let out all their emotions.
i agree with the second part. I wouldn't dare cry in a workplace environment. it just seems really off. i suppose if i really needed to let out some tears id go to the toilet and do it there. then splash some cold water on my face and come out like nothing happened. crying infront of staff would be a nightmare
f
I leave them for a little bit then I hug them depending on the situation.
Reply 10
Original post by WoodyMKC
Ooh, she's emotionally vulnerable, time to take advantage :biggrin:

you're gross.

****s sake you really don't pull any punches do you.

You need to exercise other parts of your brain mate because the lets be a sex pest (and occasional pedo) part is growing at a concerning rate. You have to get some hobbies on the go or something this can't go on.

Please tell me you're pulling me leg. Gave me a good laugh anyway
it can be awkward because you don't really know how to respond...

i just hold them and tell them things will be ok etc...
Original post by Little Popcorns
This is a good question OP and I think we should give the ones that dunno what to do and want to run away some advice...

Don't run away because imagine if you were upset (okay not crying if you're not a crier but...) and someone did a runner just as you were being honest about your problems.

Sit with them without looking absolutely shell shocked and unsure what to do...show you're at least trying to understand what she's going through

Maybe even try to help if you can and if you manage to overcome your fears maybe you can give them a nice big hug and say you hope they feel better/or whatever it is gets sorted.

In sum... No need to look like you've seen a ghost.

Entirely agree with this. I don't really see why most guys act awkward about it. Just some comforting words will do. But oh no
Original post by Anonymous
Please tell me you're pulling me leg. Gave me a good laugh anyway

Course :redface: Anyone that takes my posts seriously on here... I've got some magic beans you can buy off me, I'll do you a good price :biggrin:
It makes me feel upset :sad:
Original post by lilylf
you're gross.

I've been called worse :redface:

What... The... Hell...

Who dragged you up from the hounds of hell. Seriously where'd you get your heart of stone from? Firstly there are hormonal reasons why sometimes girls/women cry more easily. Don't get me wrong this isn't a reason to just brush it under the carpet but in the same way if a guy was looking really down you might ask what's up it's the same with a girl that's crying. 'You don't approve of that behaviour?' What? I mean someone's having a really stressful time and they end up not being able to hold back tears and you 'don't approve of that behaviour?' Show some bloody compassion you're not a flaming robot come on child... This does not bode well for your future wife or children. If you're in luck she's a robot too.
(edited 8 years ago)
If anyone, guy or girl was crying and came to me for help, especially if it's a friend, I'll help them. I've been in that situation a few times before so I don't judge, in fact I feel honoured that person felt close enough to me to tell me how they felt. Even if they didn't really know me, I still get a nice warm feeling in the pit of my stomach from helping people. xD

Latest

Trending

Trending