The Student Room Group

UCL postgraduate applicants 2016/17

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by alexfrc
Hi Alex,Thanks for your email.
We are still working our way through the 400 applications we received and are hoping to have a decision for you very shortly. We were delayed by a week (last week) as the college was closed for the Easter break.I apologise for any inconvenience caused by this delay.
Best wishes,Hannah
Happy days guys. We're gonna wait for I/O Psychology until September haha

This is too much. The answer has been the same since begining of march "we will have a decision for you shortly".
Original post by ATD111
This is too much. The answer has been the same since begining of march "we will have a decision for you shortly".

Yep. Also imagine that I have sent my application in November! I did not know at first they were only assessing applications after the deadline as it was not written on the website. Been waiting for a reply for almost half a year now :bebored:
Original post by adamned
London is notoriously expensive, but you can get a student discount at many places near universities. Maybe some people are rude, particularly on public transport, but that's usually because they're in a rush and stressed. Since you'll be doing a postgraduate course at UCL, I imagine you'll be very focused on that, so any of the little things which worry you now will likely just fall into the background and be forgotten once you've started!

As for Chinese food in London, this one seems good: Café TPT - I'm sure there are many others which are also decently priced.

Original post by Unientry2012
China Town would be the place to go, a large variety to select from also. They have a Chinese supermarket there where they sell really cheap and good quality stuff. Would definitely recommend you to buy your shopping in bulk and just stock up on it / freeze it (if need be) for later use as you'll end up saving so much! Wish I did this for my bachelors degree looking back, I spent so much irresponsibly.

I buy and make all my food in bulk now at undergrad. It's definitely so much cheaper and I can't believe there are people who don't!

I've eaten at quite a few Chinese places and I've always been left very underwhelmed, even when I ate in Chinatown, which I expect to be good, considering the number of Chinese people living there. I guess it's just far too catered to tourists who have no idea what real Chinese food is like. I'll definitely check that Café TPT place out though
Reply 383
Original post by alexfrc
Yep. Also imagine that I have sent my application in November! I did not know at first they were only assessing applications after the deadline as it was not written on the website. Been waiting for a reply for almost half a year now :bebored:

Hey guys,

I've also been waiting on I/O Psychology since October (!!!) and this is now driving me absolutely crazy. The promised 4 weeks (plus extra week of Easter holidays) are running out today and my Portico still says 'application under assessment'. Not sure if I can be bothered to wait too much longer, might just accept my LSE offer for MSc S/O Psychology next week... :grr:
Reply 384
Hello! I've also applied to LSE Social and Organisation Psychology in addition to UCL's I/O Psych! What do you think about the courses? Is UCL your first choice?
Reply 385
Original post by h_r49
Hello! I've also applied to LSE Social and Organisation Psychology in addition to UCL's I/O Psych! What do you think about the courses? Is UCL your first choice?

Hey, yeah UCL is my first choice! I like the structure of the course at UCL more because modules are smaller and their descriptions sound more interesting. Also UCL is very good for psychology whereas LSE is not known for it whatsoever. What about you? Is UCL your first choice as well?
Reply 386
I think exactly the same! I'm really interested in social psychology but felt a bit let down by the modules LSE offered they are too business orientated compared to the topics such as aggression or gender which I'm interested in. UCL seems to have a fresher vibe. I've also applied to Aston University in Birmigham and am thinkingnof applying to City London which are accredited by the BPS for occupational psychology. I'll end up applying everywhere if UCL take much longer!!
Reply 387
I am not too bothered about BPS accreditation tbh because I don't think I want to end up working in purely psychology-related field/ become an occupational psychologist - I was thinking more about a career in consulting or something like that. This is also why UCL seems perfect because I think they've got this balance between psychology and business just right, whereas others are more inclined towards one or another. City does look good though! I wish you the best of luck, and I hope we both get an offer from UCL at some point soon :smile::smile::smile:
Original post by dashgun
Hey guys,

I've also been waiting on I/O Psychology since October (!!!) and this is now driving me absolutely crazy. The promised 4 weeks (plus extra week of Easter holidays) are running out today and my Portico still says 'application under assessment'. Not sure if I can be bothered to wait too much longer, might just accept my LSE offer for MSc S/O Psychology next week... :grr:

Do you mean MSc Organisational and Social Psychology? Fee level: £19,344 ?!?! that fee level it's crazy stuff. It's good that you can afford to go there :biggrin:
Reply 389
Original post by dashgun
I am not too bothered about BPS accreditation tbh because I don't think I want to end up working in purely psychology-related field/ become an occupational psychologist - I was thinking more about a career in consulting or something like that. This is also why UCL seems perfect because I think they've got this balance between psychology and business just right, whereas others are more inclined towards one or another. City does look good though! I wish you the best of luck, and I hope we both get an offer from UCL at some point soon :smile::smile::smile:

Yep completely agree - I didn't like how some of the uni's taught it from the Business school and seem to heavily weighted towards Business - when it's Psychology I want to do!
Thank you, I wish you the very best too! Fingers crossed to hear back this week!
Reply 390
Original post by alexfrc
Do you mean MSc Organisational and Social Psychology? Fee level: £19,344 ?!?! that fee level it's crazy stuff. It's good that you can afford to go there :biggrin:

Yeah that's what I meant. I am an international student anyway, so... Guess that's another reason I want UCL because there will probably be barely any students from the EU/UK at LSE.
Original post by dashgun
Yeah that's what I meant. I am an international student anyway, so... Guess that's another reason I want UCL because there will probably be barely any students from the EU/UK at LSE.

Oh I understand. Well not necessarily! I know a few people that have gone LSE. It might be that you wont have 90% EU/UK students in that course, but you will very likely have at least half. Plus if you check the stats overall there are more EU people at LSE than international (at least I think). I wouldn't let that influence me in my choice of a course tbh
Reply 392
Original post by alexfrc
Oh I understand. Well not necessarily! I know a few people that have gone LSE. It might be that you wont have 90% EU/UK students in that course, but you will very likely have at least half. Plus if you check the stats overall there are more EU people at LSE than international (at least I think). I wouldn't let that influence me in my choice of a course tbh

I agree. And i don't think anyone should let that influence their choice of a course. UCL is better for I-O psychology, and last time i checked it was actually 7th in the world for Psychology, right above Princeton.
It seems there are quite a few people on here who have applied to UCL's business psych course. I think it's interesting to contrast the number of citations and type of research on the Google Scholar pages for Adrian Furnham - a director of UCL's MSc Industrial/Organisational & Business Psychology course, and Tom Reader - director of LSE's MSc Organisational & Social Psychology.
Reply 394
Original post by alexfrc
Hi Alex,Thanks for your email.
We are still working our way through the 400 applications we received and are hoping to have a decision for you very shortly. We were delayed by a week (last week) as the college was closed for the Easter break.I apologise for any inconvenience caused by this delay.
Best wishes,Hannah
Happy days guys. We're gonna wait for I/O Psychology until September haha

If there's 400 applications - does anyone have any idea how many spaces are actually available on the MSc?
Reply 395
Original post by h_r49
If there's 400 applications - does anyone have any idea how many spaces are actually available on the MSc?

I heard about 40? Not sure though. Its such a small number for 400 applications.
Reply 396
No, of course the number of international/UK/EU students does not influence which university I want to go to haha, it's all about the course! And just checked Google Scholar, the difference is crazy :K:
Reply 397
I have applied to UCL but I dont know how to track my application's situation. can someone help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 398
Original post by dashgun
No, of course the number of international/UK/EU students does not influence which university I want to go to haha, it's all about the course! And just checked Google Scholar, the difference is crazy :K:

What's the main difference?
Original post by h_r49
What's the main difference?

I posted it above.

Adrian Furnham, director of UCL MSc Industrial/Organisational & Business Psychology

Tom Reader, director of LSE MSc Organisational & Social Psychology

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending