The Student Room Group

In Defence of General Studies

Why exactly is General Studies so cruelly attacked by all and sundry? I can't understand why a subject which tests genuine 'pick it up as you go along' all-round knowledge, without revision, is shunned almost universally. Good revision isn't a sign of intelligence or ability; its a skill, like being double-jointed, and surely a good grade in General Studies shows just generally 'knowing about stuff' that you pick up on newsnight or in the Guardian or whatever, and that is most important in the end.

So, join me, in the quest for the introduction of a General Studies degree!

(p.s. Can you spell polemic?)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's simply not academic, defeating the point of school. Not that I have disrespect for my brothers and sisters in general studies.
i don't think there is anything wrong with general studies - it certainly wouldn't hurt getting a qualification in it and if it is what you want to do, go for it

don't let other people stop you
Reply 3
Aha..."defeating the point of school" you say...this assumes of course that the current education system is a good thing, whereas it is in fact simply a tool of the system which is in the grip of an oppresive bourgeois ideology - the real purpose of school is simply to train pupils in boredom tolerance so that they don't complain when they reach their mundane 'career' and slowly their lives lose all meaning. Thus, General Studies is liberating.
Reply 4
Not the best outlook on life but fair enough.
Reply 5
Whether its the best outlook on life or not, its true. I still maintain that education should stimulate the itellect and the imagination, not the coffers of CGP and Letts' Revise.
Reply 6
But to study subjects like maths can be very gratifying but requires some discipline. I'd *like* to just read books about maths and goto lectures about it all day, but to actually be a good mathematician, I need to be forced to sit down and do some possibly very boring maths problems, that's how you gain a true insight.
humanpunk
Aha..."defeating the point of school" you say...this assumes of course that the current education system is a good thing, whereas it is in fact simply a tool of the system which is in the grip of an oppresive bourgeois ideology - the real purpose of school is simply to train pupils in boredom tolerance so that they don't complain when they reach their mundane 'career' and slowly their lives lose all meaning. Thus, General Studies is liberating.

Load of Marxist pants! education serves a greater importance than oppression of the proletariat, it stimulates the mind and imagination which leads to some people starting businesses etc. Education is essential to capitalism through the reproduction of labour however the option of self-empowerment and entrepreneurship is open to all
Reply 8
fishpaste
But to study subjects like maths can be very gratifying but requires some discipline. I'd *like* to just read books about maths and goto lectures about it all day, but to actually be a good mathematician, I need to be forced to sit down and do some possibly very boring maths problems, that's how you gain a true insight.

I agree...but your skill in maths has nothing to do with your ability to remember one formula or another, so the enforcement of 'revision' and exams without notes are unnecessary and ridiculous. General Studies is the only subject that reflects this.
Reply 9
i think it is good in the sense that it tests all round abilities- these days a levels have become so specific that people can get straight A's if they pick their subjects very carefully...however their weaknesses show in general studies because it tests the lot...maths and essay writing skills. not everyone (bar some people who are just brains) is good at being both the scientist and the creative thinker.

however i don't bother with general studies because a) my unis won't accept it, b) nobody inc myself does much if any, work for it therefore the grade boundaries are stupidly low...allowing me to do well on it even though i do nothing for it, except perhaps reading the paper from time to time
Reply 10
Investmentboy
Load of Marxist pants! education serves a greater importance than oppression of the proletariat, it stimulates the mind and imagination which leads to some people starting businesses etc. Education is essential to capitalism through the reproduction of labour however the option of self-empowerment and entrepreneurship is open to all

Why is it impossible to reconcile 'education' and the ending of opression? Are you suggesting that the continuation of an opressed underclass is necessary for the furthering of society? Also, yes education is necessary to capitalism, but capitalism itself is not necesary. Even Adam Smith said that businessmen, (and thus free-market capitalism) "have generally an interest to deceive and even to oppress the public".
Reply 11
humanpunk
I agree...but your skill in maths has nothing to do with your ability to remember one formula or another, so the enforcement of 'revision' and exams without notes are unnecessary and ridiculous. General Studies is the only subject that reflects this.

But doing a maths paper is not about recalling the right formulas, it's about being familiar with the techniques which will hope you solve a problem. You can't get that familarity without doing some unspeakably dull rote maths, what you would see as revision.

I would not be here now enjoying learning about P5 reduction formulae if somebody hadn't sat me down a year ago and said "If you don't do these really boring p3 integrations which you don't feel like doing then you'll fail your alevel and suffer for it." And yet in the medium to long term, it's great that I was pushed into doing those boring P3 integrations, because I needed to be ultra familiar with them to do the P5 stuff now.

To get it into a sentence, sometimes we have to learn boring mindless rubbish from glossy illustrated revision guides in order to get to the good stuff.
Reply 12
GS is a piece of crap, out school forced us to take it as a extra AS, im glad its over now.
Reply 13
I thought we (well, people at our school) were forced to take it as they get money from the goverment for people taking it....
Reply 14
yup yup- every a level a 6th frm offers earns them x amount of pounds...therefore they can plough the money thye don't use in teaching general studies into other subjects, which can be underfunded, especially things like art and technology
I don't think that General Studies is a waste of space as it does generally help other people as it boosts your points. I think uni's still expect you to have it whether they accept it or not. It involves basic skills that everyone is expected to already have learned at GCSE.
humanpunk

Good morning, Mr. Stalin.
I agree that General Studies is good, i need 3 B's for Uni but as i had a rubbish Art teacher for AS i had to drop it and take up another AS, therefore my 3 B's will come from Maths, ICT and General Studies (yes they do accept it)
Reply 18
priya
i think it is good in the sense that it tests all round abilities- these days a levels have become so specific that people can get straight A's if they pick their subjects very carefully...however their weaknesses show in general studies because it tests the lot...maths and essay writing skills. not everyone (bar some people who are just brains) is good at being both the scientist and the creative thinker.

So you're suggesting that people should not choose a-levels in an actual subject area? Suppose you want to become a doctor you're saying you should pick everything that is general and in no way related to medicine. The subjects like the sciences which focus on problem solving and understanding and not just totally memory. General studies show no strength in a particular field just that you can remember and answer easy questions. It therefore prevents you getting the job you want and just wastes tax payers money.
Cellardore
It involves basic skills that everyone is expected to already have learned at GCSE.

lol so if you have GCSEs whats the point in doing it would you say?

rosie

Latest