The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
but surely the idea is that people arent 'all rounders' - it is natural that some people have scientific brains, some think in words, some in numbers etc. And fair enough it is a 'good thing' to be an all rounder, but the idea of a career is focussing on something that you are good and or enjoy - being an all round good egg will get you so far, but then what are you left with? being mediochre at everything and no aspirations.

i am forced to gen stud by school but cant say i really care that much - it is what, 4 and a half hours of my life that results in an A level which may or may not help me in the future.
noggin
but surely the idea is that people arent 'all rounders' - it is natural that some people have scientific brains, some think in words, some in numbers etc. And fair enough it is a 'good thing' to be an all rounder, but the idea of a career is focussing on something that you are good and or enjoy - being an all round good egg will get you so far, but then what are you left with? being mediochre at everything and no aspirations.

i am forced to gen stud by school but cant say i really care that much - it is what, 4 and a half hours of my life that results in an A level which may or may not help me in the future.

however, everyone needs basic skills in things like numeracy, communication, scientific literacy etc. Even scientists need to be able to communicate well, pick out the points of an argument etc, and murder mystery authors still need to have a basic understanding of maths and science!

however my feeling is that you really should know this by the time you have done GCSEs, and if you didn't do well enough in your GCSEs to demonstrate things like basic literacy, you shouldn't really be doing any A-levels, including G.studies.

rosie
Reply 22
crana
however, everyone needs basic skills in things like numeracy, communication, scientific literacy etc. Even scientists need to be able to communicate well, pick out the points of an argument etc, and murder mystery authors still need to have a basic understanding of maths and science!

however my feeling is that you really should know this by the time you have done GCSEs, and if you didn't do well enough in your GCSEs to demonstrate things like basic literacy, you shouldn't really be doing any A-levels, including G.studies.

Scientists can communicate well, science and maths are the most difficult subjects there are. So naturally they would find communication very easy.

I agree though it is unfair since we have done your gcse so why should we be forced to take a subject which we will not use.
supreme
Scientists can communicate well, science and maths are the most difficult subjects there are. So naturally they would find communication very easy.

I agree though it is unfair since we have done your gcse so why should we be forced to take a subject which we will not use and is only harmful to your futures.

you obviously have not read some poorly written science textbooks?!

doing maths & sciences (particualrly say duoble maths and chemistry) really does not help you be good at communication particularly. when was the last time you had to write an essay for chemsitry? or maths? I never have, and i do 3 alevel sciences & maths.. synoptic papers are slightly that way...but not by far the majority of the course

how on earth does general studies "harm our futures"?!?
Reply 24
crana
you obviously have not read some poorly written science textbooks?!

doing maths & sciences (particualrly say duoble maths and chemistry) really does not help you be good at communication particularly. when was the last time you had to write an essay for chemsitry? or maths? I never have, and i do 3 alevel sciences & maths.. synoptic papers are slightly that way...but not by far the majority of the course

how on earth does general studies "harm our futures"?!?

In chemistry there are essay questions but anyway essays are easy as providing you have got the facts all it is linking them together. General studies I have been told looks bad at on university applications.

PS: My text books are concise and well written.
Reply 25
Basically, A-levels, being no longer as important to employers on its own, only serve as a stepping stone before university. Each A-level is designed to test the student so that he/she can show their true potential at understanding and retaining knowledge (and thereby guiding a University towards their true ability). If a subject needs no revision, and the majority can just pick it up as it goes along (which some of you admit to) then please tell me wheres the challenge? Can anyone compare an A grade to be equal to an A in physics?

It is not well received because although many bright students take it, this lack of effort needed to do well makes it near impossible to distinguish between the good candidates, and the excellent ones.
What on earth would you do with a degree in general studies?
supreme
In chemistry there are essay questions but anyway essays are easy as providing you have got the facts all it is linking them together. General studies I have been told looks bad at on university applications.

PS: My text books are concise and well written.

well that's great. Believe it or not, your textbooks are not the only ones in the world!!

The "essay questions" in chemistry for my syllabus at any rate are nowhere near being real essays. I think you will find writing a REALLY GOOD essay is not really JUST stringing facts together. Wtf are you on about general studies looking bad on uni applications??
Reply 28
Yeah you get your general 'well-rounded' (allbeit basic) knowledge from GCSEs. General Studies is fine to take as a 5th A-level providing it does in no way impede your studies in real subjects. And yes, real subjects - those that are challenging and recognised by good universities and employers.
General Studies is a means to get a bit of extra knowledge about the world, but seeing as it's worth so little to anyone as a qualification, I opted to just take an interest in the world in my own time, not to be force-fed it twice a week. Its lack of academic value leaves its only raison d'etre as an 'interest subject', but 10 times out of 10 a person will tell you it's boring and a waste of time.

Reading and surfing for knowledge in your own time is more rewarding than general studies but seeing as it's "so easy" and requires no work, it shouldn't negate your progress in other areas and therefore can be endured.
Reply 29
crana
well that's great. Believe it or not, your textbooks are not the only ones in the world!!

The "essay questions" in chemistry for my syllabus at any rate are nowhere near being real essays. I think you will find writing a REALLY GOOD essay is not really JUST stringing facts together. Wtf are you on about general studies looking bad on uni applications??

In Law the essay question are only a collection and joining of facts and surely you would consider it an eassy style subject.

General studies looks bad it shows that you don't have the motivation to tackle a difficult subject.
supreme
In Law the essay question are only a collection and joining of facts and surely you would consider it an eassy style subject.

General studies looks bad it shows that you don't have the motivation to tackle a difficult subject.

you can write essays that are just collections of facts but it doesnt make them GOOD essays

I don't study Law so I wouldn't know about it especially, but what about history/english/economics/sociology and all the other subjects that require essays?

and the vast majority of people take general studies as an additional AS/A2 as well as their other ones, so I don't really know what you're on about in the last sentence.

rosie
humanpunk
Why exactly is General Studies so cruelly attacked by all and sundry? I can't understand why a subject which tests genuine 'pick it up as you go along' all-round knowledge, without revision, is shunned almost universally. Good revision isn't a sign of intelligence or ability; its a skill, like being double-jointed, and surely a good grade in General Studies shows just generally 'knowing about stuff' that you pick up on newsnight or in the Guardian or whatever, and that is most important in the end.

So, join me, in the quest for the introduction of a General Studies degree!

(p.s. Can you spell polemic?)

At my school it is an absolute pile of poo. Neither the teachers or the pupils take it seriously. I can see the point of something if you do it properly, but I didn't have the foggiest about the french in that exam despite so called "french lessons" throughout the year, plus I have no desire to know how a mobile phone works, or to write an essay about works of art which used to be risque. In AS general studies they expected us to know about the carbon dating of trees. General studies is, in my opinion, an absolute waste of time. It's the government's way of saying "look! We're broadening students' education!" without having to lift a finger. Bah.
Reply 32
serendipity
At my school it is an absolute pile of poo. Neither the teachers or the pupils take it seriously. I can see the point of something if you do it properly, but I didn't have the foggiest about the french in that exam despite so called "french lessons" throughout the year, plus I have no desire to know how a mobile phone works, or to write an essay about works of art which used to be risque. In AS general studies they expected us to know about the carbon dating of trees. General studies is, in my opinion, an absolute waste of time. It's the government's way of saying "look! We're broadening students' education!" without having to lift a finger. Bah.

You're absolutely right, finally someone who thinks clearly.
Reply 33
crana
you can write essays that are just collections of facts but it doesnt make them GOOD essays

I don't study Law so I wouldn't know about it especially, but what about history/english/economics/sociology and all the other subjects that require essays?

and the vast majority of people take general studies as an additional AS/A2 as well as their other ones, so I don't really know what you're on about in the last sentence.

rosie

For a law essay all you do is memorise the facts and then you string them together in sentences and this is how you write good essays. My teacher thinks my essays are GOOD so :biggrin:
Reply 34
serendipity

lol. i have to say i didnt really mind being forced to take g.studies this year (A2, cos i didnt bother with the lessons) until the last few days when takng the exam made me miss the beginning of eng v switzerland & also miss valuable rev time for geog exam this morning, which is v imp for me cos doing at uni. its a waste my time, although if i did do well (whihc i wont) i guess it would be another qualification to quote
Reply 35
we were told that we couldnt do c/w cos nobody was qualified to mark it - in that case how is anyone qualified to trach it?! g.studies teachers in our sch are the ones who have a free period when it is on!
Reply 36
eternalsunshine
What on earth would you do with a degree in general studies?

ha! exactly! i guess it would involve reading the papers and bumming around - excellent!
moo :biggrin:
Reply 38
presebjenada
moo :biggrin:

ello!
humanpunk
Good revision isn't a sign of intelligence or ability; its a skill, like being double-jointed, and surely a good grade in General Studies shows just generally 'knowing about stuff' that you pick up on newsnight or in the Guardian or whatever, and that is most important in the end.

actually being double-jointed is very rarely a "skill", although you can become more flxible through training (e.g. ballet dancers)

however being "double jointed" is usually due to a genetic disorder, and although many people don't have any troubling symptoms, being "double jointed" (being hypermobile) can lead to chronic pain and disability, and the underlying disorder can cause serious medical problems and even be fatal.

Rosie

Latest