The Student Room Group

Personal Statement and Plaigarism

Hi, I applied to uni through UCAS for the 15/16 year but ended up dropping out of the course as I didn't like it. I'm now applying to a different course for the next academic year through UCAS.
If I use some a couple of paragraphs from my old personal statement to the one I am currently writing, will my application be flagged for plaigarism?
Reply 1
plagiarism is the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own. So taking excerpts from your own PS should technically be fine. But I am not sure about the ramifications of UCAS in specific in this context. So in other words I have no idea. lol
There is such a thing as self plagerism but you'd probs be ok on a ucas form.
Reply 3
Original post by GUMI
plagiarism is the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own. So taking excerpts from your own PS should technically be fine. But I am not sure about the ramifications of UCAS in specific in this context. So in other words I have no idea. lol

Original post by earthworm
There is such a thing as self plagerism but you'd probs be ok on a ucas form.

I was thinking that they'd just search for plagiarism across their whole database irrespective of who wrote it... But thanks for the help anyways, I'll just ring up my college in the morning and ask them
No it won't get flagged because UCAS knows you are the same person applying.
Original post by Elm Tree
I was thinking that they'd just search for plagiarism across their whole database irrespective of who wrote it... But thanks for the help anyways, I'll just ring up my college in the morning and ask them

The UCAS plagiarism detection has 2 stages. The first is automated. Any PS flagged as containing similarities to other PSs or online content is then flagged. The second stage is that every flagged PS is looked at by a person. ONLY if that person decides that there is a good chance that your PS is copied from elsewhere will your PS be flagged to universities and to the applicant concerned.

https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/similarity-detection-applicant-guide.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending