The Student Room Group

Game Design vs Computer Science

Hi all,

I'm wondering, there are some universities purporting to offer 'Games Design' courses and I am wondering if they are worth it? Would it be better to study Computer Science (even though it's much more difficult) to allow for more options in the future? The issue is, I lack the knowledge in Maths to study Computer Science, but would be able to study Games Design either way.
Original post by Bocicowo
Hi all,

I'm wondering, there are some universities purporting to offer 'Games Design' courses and I am wondering if they are worth it? Would it be better to study Computer Science (even though it's much more difficult) to allow for more options in the future? The issue is, I lack the knowledge in Maths to study Computer Science, but would be able to study Games Design either way.

Two completely different degrees. Are you interested in designing games or programming them?
Reply 2
Original post by Jooooshy
Two completely different degrees. Are you interested in designing games or programming them?

Arguably companies want to see someone with overall programming skills, not just a single-faceted skillset. If you were to get a Computer Science degree, you would have a wider knowledge of the theory and principles behind programming, which would include being able to program games, instead of pigeonholing yourself into only knowing how to write code applicable to a video game application. It is definitely something to fall back on if it takes a while to get into the game industry if you have a Computer Science degree, and for the most part, what you learn in that degree's coursework is applicable to programming video games.

Therefore, that is why I am suggesting that Computer Science would be a better option than Games Design, purely for the fact that there would be more options available to an individual.
Original post by Bocicowo
Arguably companies want to see someone with overall programming skills, not just a single-faceted skillset. If you were to get a Computer Science degree, you would have a wider knowledge of the theory and principles behind programming, which would include being able to program games, instead of pigeonholing yourself into only knowing how to write code applicable to a video game application. It is definitely something to fall back on if it takes a while to get into the game industry if you have a Computer Science degree, and for the most part, what you learn in that degree's coursework is applicable to programming video games.

Therefore, that is why I am suggesting that Computer Science would be a better option than Games Design, purely for the fact that there would be more options available to an individual.

For the record, I'm a third year computer science student..

Sounds like computer science will be the better choice for you. Be careful, though; if your interests span only as far as games, you may not enjoy the degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending