The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Studying a language degree without the relevant A-level?

Hello!
I've reached that point where I'm scrutinizing everything about my qualifications and freaking about how imperfect they are, especially since the degree I'm focused on is Mandarin at SOAS- my dream uni. But, the only language qualification I have to my name is an A in GCSE German. I've wanted to do this degree since 2012, but sadly my college didn't offer any languages for A-levels. Low student interest, and therefore low funding :frown:
However, I've been trying to compensate, and have raised about £7,000 after working for bloody ages and saving to live for 6 months in Beijing, where i'll be living & learning etc etc (this is starting to sound like my personal statement) ANYWAYS, basically I have no language a levels, and I am worried about how this will affect my chances of getting in. I want more than anything to get in!
Original post by SLatch
Hello!
I've reached that point where I'm scrutinizing everything about my qualifications and freaking about how imperfect they are, especially since the degree I'm focused on is Mandarin at SOAS- my dream uni. But, the only language qualification I have to my name is an A in GCSE German. I've wanted to do this degree since 2012, but sadly my college didn't offer any languages for A-levels. Low student interest, and therefore low funding :frown:
However, I've been trying to compensate, and have raised about £7,000 after working for bloody ages and saving to live for 6 months in Beijing, where i'll be living & learning etc etc (this is starting to sound like my personal statement) ANYWAYS, basically I have no language a levels, and I am worried about how this will affect my chances of getting in. I want more than anything to get in!

Hi @SLatch

I'm so glad you're interested in applying to SOAS! And it warms my heart knowing we are your dream uni!!

To answer your question, we'd prefer if you had a language at A levels but just because you don't have one doesn't mean we won't look at your applicant and it certainly doesn't mean you will be disqualified. Your other three A levels still have to meet the requirements for our programme and you will need to a solid personal statement.

You went on a gap year / lived in China for six months which is fabulous. You should definitely speak about this and show us how you applying for SOAS, and how. Beijing fits into your future goals. All of that will contribute nicely to your application.

Don't be too worried about not having a language at A levels if you have done well in all other phases. We look at your whole body of work!

I hope that helps! P.s. What are you interested in studying?

~Mike
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending