The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by apronedsamurai
VULNERABLE adult.

No. I am sorry but stop making excuses and act your age.

Having mental health problems and arthritis isn't an excuse to not take responsibility for your actions.
Original post by SophieSmall
No. I am sorry but stop making excuses and act your age.

Having mental health problems and arthritis isn't an excuse to not take responsibility for your actions.

Wow. And perhaps you shouldn't wade in with offensive, aggressive opinions.
Wow. And perhaps you shouldn't wade in with offensive, aggressive opinions.

There was nothing offensive about that, and it was an opinion either it was a fact. You are still responsible for yourself.

The fact your lecturer brought it up in front of people was wrong.

However you shouldn't have just not gone in, you should have at at the least sent an email to explain your absence. You're not incapable of doing so and you should have known to at least do that, like I said take responsibly for the fact you are partly to blame for this situation otherwise I honestly have no sympathy for you and I really don't care at all that you failed a module due to your own lack of initiative.
There was nothing offensive about that, and it was an opinion either it was a fact. You are still responsible for yourself.

The fact your lecturer brought it up in front of people was wrong.

However you shouldn't have just not gone in, you should have at at the least sent an email to explain your absence. You're not incapable of doing so and you should have known to at least do that, like I said take responsibly for the fact you are partly to blame for this situation otherwise I honestly have no sympathy for you and I really don't care at all that you failed a module due to your own lack of initiative.

What a ****ty thing to say, seriously. How utterly militantly vile. You are just spoiling for a fight.

Do you know me? The severity of my condition? You are...a medic and therefore qualified to make a diagnosis? I have already TOLD MY LECTURER PREVIOUSLY I SUFFER FROM MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEMS, MOBLITY ISSUES AND SOMETIMES MY ABSCENCE IS AFFECTED AS A RESULT.

For the record? I haven't failed the unit. That got squashed, by the head of dept, and there is going to be a formal grievance against him on the basis of as I said discrimination.
(edited 8 years ago)
Do you know me? The severity of my condition? You are...a medic and therefore qualified to make a diagnosis? I have already TOLD MY LECTURER PREVIOUSLY I SUFFER FROM MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEMS, MOBLITY ISSUES AND SOMETIMES MY ABSCENCE IS AFFECTED AS A RESULT.

For the record? I haven't failed the unit. That got squashed, by the head of dept, and there is going to be a formal grievance against him on the basis of as I said discrimination.

You're getting unreasonably angry.

I don't need to know you, and you have already stated on this thread what you suffer from. Neither of which prevent you from writing an email. You seem to be able to angrily type on here just fine, so you could have typed up a simple email just fine too. You chose not to, and that was wrong.

Take responsibility for your mistake, because honestly this entire thread you've just been getting angry at anyone who doesn't see things in exactly the light that you do. Stop acting like a child.
You're getting unreasonably angry.

I don't need to know you, and you have already stated on this thread what you suffer from. Neither of which prevent you from writing an email. You seem to be able to angrily type on here just fine, so you could have typed up a simple email just fine too. You chose not to, and that was wrong.

Take responsibility for your mistake, because honestly this entire thread you've just been getting angry at anyone who doesn't see things in exactly the light that you do. Stop acting like a child.

"Indirect discrimination is when there's a practice, policy or rule which applies to everyone in the same way, but it has a worse effect on some people than others. The Equality Act says it puts you at a particular disadvantage."

The protected characteristics include: age, disability, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, and sex.
Reply 26
I don't see how getting pissy on tsr is going to help you. Ask the lecturer for an apology and move on.
"Indirect discrimination is when there's a practice, policy or rule which applies to everyone in the same way, but it has a worse effect on some people than others. The Equality Act says it puts you at a particular disadvantage."

The protected characteristics include: age, disability, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, and sex.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the issue.

The university only has an obligation to put you on a level playing field and make reasonable changes to accommodate your condition so that you can work to the best of your ability like everyone else. It does not mean that you get to just not turn up (without giving a reason EACH time) and special treatment meaning you don't have the same responsibility as everyone else. Your disability does not affect you from letting them know you can't turn up, therefore it is irrelevant. Non disabled people are expected to give a reason for why they don't show up, therefore you are required to do so also. Otherwise you are not on level playing field, instead you're getting special treatment.

Honestly you're giving honest disabled people a bad name by having a hissy fit over this.

Like I said, him bringing it up in front of other people was wrong. However you are partly to blame for this situation too, but you are too stubborn to so much as admit you should have handled it differently.
Original post by Airmed
I don't see how getting pissy on tsr is going to help you. Ask the lecturer for an apology and move on.

I get pissy, when people get pissy with me. Same with the lecturer, same with people here. I am a tad concerned though by this approach of victim shaming that seems to be running rampant here. Also being judged by people who have limited understanding of the finer points of things angers me, showing a lack of basic compassion or decency.
Reply 29
I get pissy, when people get pissy with me. Same with the lecturer, same with people here. I am a tad concerned though by this approach of victim shaming that seems to be running rampant here. Also being judged by people who have limited understanding of the finer points of things angers me, showing a lack of basic compassion or decency.

I have mental health issues myself: I don't lose my **** and use them as an excuse. Ok, so yes, you missed a part of the unit because you were ill - not that hard to email, really. If I can do email in the middle of a psychotic episode (which I have done) then you shouldn't be using your illnesses as an excuse for not informing the relevant people ASAP.

Your lecturer was out of line calling you out like that in front of the class, but it is done now. It can't be changed.
Original post by Airmed
I have mental health issues myself: I don't lose my **** and use them as an excuse. Ok, so yes, you missed a part of the unit because you were ill - not that hard to email, really. If I can do email in the middle of a psychotic episode (which I have done) then you shouldn't be using your illnesses as an excuse for not informing the relevant people ASAP.

Your lecturer was out of line calling you out like that in front of the class, but it is done now. It can't be changed.

Same here.

I've not gone in for weeks before when I've had suicidal episodes. I still sent emails to let them know if I wasn't coming in for something.
Reply 31
Same here.

I've not gone in for weeks before when I've had suicidal episodes. I still sent emails to let them know if I wasn't coming in for something.

Exactly. It's really not that hard, you can probably ask the uni Disability Services to help with keeping lecturers and tutors informed anyway.

I am out for blood and I want my pound of flesh off this vile **** of a man.

VULNERABLE adult.

What a ****ty thing to say, seriously. How utterly militantly vile. You are just spoiling for a fight. For the record? I haven't failed the unit. That got squashed, by the head of dept, and there is going to be a formal grievance against him on the basis of as I said discrimination.
Your lecturer was certainly wrong to raise the issue in public but you sound pretty scary and spiteful. Part of me feels sorry for him.
Original post by Yellow 03
:rolleyes:

Nah, I take that back. You say I sound pretty scary. Guess you have at least some brain cells.

For the record? Generally when you post a mean remark, it tends to annoy people, they tend to get annoyed back.
Did he say something specifically about your disability? He was totally wrong to say that stuff in public but im not sure how this becomes discrimination against disabilities unless ive missed something in the OP?
Original post by BekahMay
Did he say something specifically about your disability? He was totally wrong to say that stuff in public but im not sure how this becomes discrimination against disabilities unless ive missed something in the OP?

I am merely reiterating what the student services advisor informed me. I did not ask for details, merely took that at face value and desired to let them process it on their end.
I am merely reiterating what the student services advisor informed me. I did not ask for details, merely took that at face value and desired to let them process it on their end.

Fair enough, good luck with the rest of your course anyway :smile:
Original post by BekahMay
Fair enough, good luck with the rest of your course anyway :smile:

But to answer your query, no he did not mention about my disability.
Nah, I take that back. You say I sound pretty scary. Guess you have at least some brain cells.

So we can all agree you are not all vulnerable in this situation, then. Your reactions on this thread are way over the top.
But to answer your query, no he did not mention about my disability.

Ah well either way you were right to complain for him saying that in the vicinity of other people no matter how annoyed he was that you hadnt emailed or whatever. He could have been much more tactful about it

Latest

Trending

Trending