The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine INTERVIEW PREPARATION THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, anybody interview for nottingham on 9th?!
Anyone got any recommendations for news stories to read?
Original post by hannahwilkes
Anyone got any recommendations for news stories to read?

vet times ?
Original post by Cowie315
vet times ?

I've been looking the past few days but have been struggling to find anything that's like related to breakthroughs or anything
I've been looking the past few days but have been struggling to find anything that's like related to breakthroughs or anything

What about related to the unis research areas?
Or diseases that are threatening the U.K.
Original post by Cowie315
What about related to the unis research areas?
Or diseases that are threatening the U.K.

I'll have a look, thank you :smile:

doesn't have to be a breakthrough, just has to be about topical issues.For example, they haven't had a major breakthrough in bovine TB but this is still something you can read about.
Some good resources are Vet Times and InPractice (there are a range of journals available but these are probably the more concise and easier understood ones), the health/environment sections of newspapers and online news (i used to use the BBC news app & Guardian website quite a lot) and then things from Farmers Guardian, NFU press releases etc.
If you have twitter I can point you in the direction of a lot of useful accounts because then it's like the news stories are given to you :tongue:
Original post by Louiseee_
doesn't have to be a breakthrough, just has to be about topical issues.For example, they haven't had a major breakthrough in bovine TB but this is still something you can read about.
Some good resources are Vet Times and InPractice (there are a range of journals available but these are probably the more concise and easier understood ones), the health/environment sections of newspapers and online news (i used to use the BBC news app & Guardian website quite a lot) and then things from Farmers Guardian, NFU press releases etc.
If you have twitter I can point you in the direction of a lot of useful accounts because then it's like the news stories are given to you :tongue:

That would be so helpful thankyou! My twitter is @hannahwilkes2

Have a look at the reasearch Surrey has been doing with TB, nothing breakthrough but they have altered how they do their research so they aren't having to infect healthy cows. They have been growing lung tissue.

the BVA @BritishVets
Farmers of the UK @FarmersOfTheUK
Smallholders of the UK @smallholdersUK (these last two are guest accounts where a different farmer/smallholder will control the account each week. It's a great place to find people to follow and most are open to answering any questions you have)
VetTimes @vettimesUK
Sheep Farmers @sheep_farmers
Ranton Relief Milkers @InfoMilker (mainly advertising for temporary staff but also tweet about milk prices)
Farmers Weekly @farmersweekly
Beef Farmers @beef_farmers
British Cattle Vet Association @theBCVA
The British Small Animal Veterinary Association @theBSAVA
Cat The Vet @Cat_The_Vet
National Farmers Union @NFUtweets
Centre for Evidence Based Veterinary Medicine @CEVetM

These are my favourite ones and ones that tend to tweet news stories and are mainly linked to organisations. There's an absolute tonne of practices, vets, nurses and farmers on twitter, but starting with these is often a good place to find more accounts to follow and start a conversation with.
Original post by Louiseee_
the BVA @BritishVets
Farmers of the UK @FarmersOfTheUK
Smallholders of the UK @smallholdersUK (these last two are guest accounts where a different farmer/smallholder will control the account each week. It's a great place to find people to follow and most are open to answering any questions you have)
VetTimes @vettimesUK
Sheep Farmers @sheep_farmers
Ranton Relief Milkers @InfoMilker (mainly advertising for temporary staff but also tweet about milk prices)
Farmers Weekly @farmersweekly
Beef Farmers @beef_farmers
British Cattle Vet Association @theBCVA
The British Small Animal Veterinary Association @theBSAVA
Cat The Vet @Cat_The_Vet
National Farmers Union @NFUtweets
Centre for Evidence Based Veterinary Medicine @CEVetM

These are my favourite ones and ones that tend to tweet news stories and are mainly linked to organisations. There's an absolute tonne of practices, vets, nurses and farmers on twitter, but starting with these is often a good place to find more accounts to follow and start a conversation with.

Thank you so much!
Original post by Jaypatel27
Hey guys, anybody interview for nottingham on 9th?!

Hi! Have interview in edinb on7/12 !!! But when do Cambridge send out invitations? After bmat results? It Would be very short notice!
This is probably a stupid question but does anyone have any tips/advice on how to answer the 'why do you want to be a vet?' question?
This is probably a stupid question but does anyone have any tips/advice on how to answer the 'why do you want to be a vet?' question?

Think about the reasons why... not just your love for animals. The things that you love about the profession, the things that for you out weigh the negatives of some of the things you have to deal with as a vet. What are the things you admire about the vets you work with? Etc. Thing deeply about the role of a veterinary professional. What other aspects of a career, perhaps not even one working directly with animals is something you would aspire to.
Evening all,

I posted a link to our (ONCORE - CPD provision) company's newsletter a while back, and quite a few of you have signed up - I really hope you find it useful.

You can still sign up for updates as per the link below. This is generally for course updates, but often also contain links to various articles that cover important topics in the profession on our website.

You can find it here:
https://www.oncoreepd.co.uk/updates/

Thanks,
Jill
(edited 3 years ago)
And I saw the post above about useful free stuff. Yes, vet times is useful - it will always contain updates on news from the profession, and whilst not evidence based (or always entirely correct) it's certainly a very useful weekly read. There is a VN times too.You can register for free.

ALSO, try this for size - RCVS Knowledge's focus is now on EBVM (I'll let you work out what that is!) and there are loads and loads of useful papers and resources on their site. There are up to date (hot off the press) knowledge summaries available too (mine is on its way). There's toolkits, a tutorial, info about EBVM - all sorts of things! This is the way forward for vet medicine - you need to know about this stuff!

Probably the most useful link is here:
https://www.veterinaryevidence.org/index.php/ve

But you can also find a lot more here:
http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/evidence-based-veterinary-medicine/what-is-ebvm/

I know they are in the process of updating the website/s to bring everything into alignment, so pleae don't blame me if you come to this in a few weeks and the links don't work!

Just google RCVS Knowledge if that's the case.

Happy reading!
Jill
Does anyone know anything about RVC interviews? or have any tips?
Reply 37
Original post by Ascottdum
Hi! Have interview in edinb on7/12 !!! But when do Cambridge send out invitations? After bmat results? It Would be very short notice!

Congrats on getting an interview with Edinburgh - it was going to be my first choice! Unfortunately by the sounds of it I haven't been given an interview because I haven't heard from them. (Annoying that the one I don't get is my preferred one!! 😔) Anyway best of luck!!
Reply 38
Got an interview at Nottingham tomorrow if anyone has any tips? Anyone else heard back from London or Bristol yet?
Reply 39
I only just heard back from Edinburgh today, so maybe don't worry just yet! It probably takes a while to get through everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending