The Student Room Group

Navy or Raf?

hey guys,
so I'm currently an Alevel student looking to join the forces after finishing college this year, but I'm completely stuck on which one to join. Id be looking to enter as a chef.
I come from a forces background with my parents in the navy and my grandad the raf. I've attended meetings at recruitment offices for both but am not sure on which pros outweigh the cons most. Im a sporty person playing field hockey regularly and this is a passion I want to take with me into the forces. Which career is better for being a chef, having the sporty life and also social bits too? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Broadly speaking, they'll be the same for all.

However, if you're in the Navy, it'll be pretty hard to play hockey on a boat...
RAF because planes are cool. Ships are K but pew pew pew fighter planes NEEEEAAAAOOOOOOOOOMMM
Original post by Drewski
Broadly speaking, they'll be the same for all.

However, if you're in the Navy, it'll be pretty hard to play hockey on a boat...

For a female, chances of being on a boat (submarine) are still quite slim :tongue: Flight deck hockey is certainly played, but I think enthusiasm plays more of a part than skill! Still, playing on a moving pitch must have certain challenges...

On a serious note, it would be worth looking at how long you'd spend away from home base/deployed in each service, and think how that would suit you. I did hear (and it was rumour mill, but believable) that, since Pay As You Dine/Save As You Starve came in and most base catering was contracted out, Navy chefs tend to get very few shore jobs. I don't know what the situation is with the crabs, but I assume that most base messes no longer have RAF chefs. Definitely worth looking into.
Original post by CurlyBen
For a female, chances of being on a boat (submarine) are still quite slim :tongue: Flight deck hockey is certainly played, but I think enthusiasm plays more of a part than skill! Still, playing on a moving pitch must have certain challenges...

On a serious note, it would be worth looking at how long you'd spend away from home base/deployed in each service, and think how that would suit you. I did hear (and it was rumour mill, but believable) that, since Pay As You Dine/Save As You Starve came in and most base catering was contracted out, Navy chefs tend to get very few shore jobs. I don't know what the situation is with the crabs, but I assume that most base messes no longer have RAF chefs. Definitely worth looking into.

Haven't seen a RAF Chef in forever! ISS/Sodexo at every RAF unit I've been to.
(edited 8 years ago)
Have a look at 2 Mobile Catering Squadron, based at the A4 Hub, RAF Wittering. The deployable role is big for the RAF Logistics Caterer world.
Reply 6
Original post by AlphaTango
Haven't seen a RAF Chef in forever! ISS/Sodexo at every RAF unit I've been to.

Same with the RN, we use ESS at every base except CTCRM who are Sodexo

Quick Reply

Latest