The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Choosing between Heslington West and Heslington East

Hey there,

I plan to come to York to study Maths and Computer Science in October. However since the two courses are split over the two campuses I am unsure where I should go. Do we spend more time on one campus than the other? Or is one campus more filled with life than the other?
Original post by MathsAndChess
Hey there,

I plan to come to York to study Maths and Computer Science in October. However since the two courses are split over the two campuses I am unsure where I should go. Do we spend more time on one campus than the other? Or is one campus more filled with life than the other?

Hi there,

In the first year of a joint Computer Science and Maths degree your time will be fairly evenly split between both Departments and so both sides of the campus. Your teaching will be timetabled to allow time for you to travel between Heslington West and East.

You can catch a free bus that will shuttle you back and forth between both sides of the campus and this means your journey will take about 5 minutes. During term time the buses are very regular (every 5-10 minutes). You can also walk across in about 20 minutes and lots of students choose to cycle as well.

Another thing you might want to consider when making your choice of accommodation are your interests outside of academic study. For example, the York Sport Village, is based on Heslington East so if the facilities there are of interest you might want to be based in accommodation at Heslington East.

I hope that helps,

Dominique Pickering
Undergraduate Admissions
Department of Computer Science
University of York
York

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending