The Student Room Group

Got a BA in Politics, but want to study something totally different at same level

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice on this matter.

From 2008 to 2012 I did a BA course in Politics at Manchester Met, and graduated with a 2:1. Since then I've just been bouncing from temp job to temp job, but I started studying Japanese in my free time based on a lifelong interest in the country. I completed a beginner's nightschool course, and went travelling over there for 3 months just over a year ago.
When I came back I went straight back into the same temp job I left, but it has just ended so I'm out of work.
Instead of just walking into the next soul-crushing office job I decided I'd really like to go back to studying, but this time doing Japanese in some capacity.

My question(s) is(are), does anyone know what my options are as far as funding? Since I've already got a degree, its seems like there's no financial support available.
My situation doesn't seem as common as people who want to return to university but carry on their previous subject, and I'm not sure how this affects things. And of course the cost of studying has skyrocketed since I was last at uni, I think I was the last year of students not paying the £9k a year.
Is anyone here in a similar situation, or was? Is it a realisitc ambition? I was already 20 when I started my course, and I've just turned 29 now so I'm not sure if I've left this too late. Since I'm unqualified in Japanese, should I do a GCSE before starting university level?
Any general advice or pointers?

Apologies if this is the wrong section for this post, it could just as easily go in the finance section I suppose but it seems like a less common question that maybe you guys would know something about.

Thanks in advance!
Original post by KingOfDust
Hi all,

From 2008 to 2012 I did a BA course in Politics at Manchester Met, and graduated with a 2:1. Since then I've just been bouncing from temp job to temp job, but I started studying Japanese in my free time based on a lifelong interest in the country. I completed a beginner's nightschool course, and went travelling over there for 3 months just over a year ago.
When I came back I went straight back into the same temp job I left, but it has just ended so I'm out of work.
Instead of just walking into the next soul-crushing office job I decided I'd really like to go back to studying, but this time doing Japanese in some capacity.

My question(s) is(are), does anyone know what my options are as far as funding? Since I've already got a degree, its seems like there's no financial support available.
My situation doesn't seem as common as people who want to return to university but carry on their previous subject, and I'm not sure how this affects things. And of course the cost of studying has skyrocketed since I was last at uni, I think I was the last year of students not paying the £9k a year.
Is anyone here in a similar situation, or was? Is it a realisitc ambition? I was already 20 when I started my course, and I've just turned 29 now so I'm not sure if I've left this too late. Since I'm unqualified in Japanese, should I do a GCSE before starting university level?

Apologies if this is the wrong section for this post, it could just as easily go in the finance section I suppose but it seems like a less common question that maybe you guys would know something about.

Thanks in advance!

I believe you can continue to receive the non means tested maintenance loan but you'd need to self fund tuition fees and the rest of your living costs-so you would need to save up at least £27,000 before you could start.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
I believe you can continue to receive the non means tested maintenance loan but you'd need to self fund tuition fees and the rest of your living costs-so you would need to save up at least £27,000 before you could start.

Ouch, well its good to know I can get the means tested maintencance but £27k is way beyond my means.

Has anyone here done something like this before? How did you do it, did you just save like crazy or get a bank loan? Or did you give up and try something else?
Ouch, well its good to know I can get the means tested maintencance but £27k is way beyond my means.

Has anyone here done something like this before? How did you do it, did you just save like crazy or get a bank loan? Or did you give up and try something else?

Have you considered alternative routes? Why do you need an actual degree in Japanese, there are other qualifications in languages that you could pay for as you go along. Unless you specifically need a degree in Japanese for a job that you want or something I wouldn't bother, I can't imagine getting any funding for it especially from a bank - if you haven't used your last degree very much and you're doing temp jobs, they probably wouldn't see it as a very secure loan for them (I don't know if you can even get a loan for education, I know you can't for postgraduate degrees, you can only get a career development loan up to 10k)

[e] Also you often don't need Japanese background quals to study Japanese at degree level, I think SOAS does it for example with no prior knowledge needed. My friend's girlfriend did eng lit and then did a MA/PhD in Korean at SOAS
(edited 8 years ago)

You can't get a bank loan as a student I'm afraid. Personally I would see if you can find Japanese classes nearby- much cheaper.
Reply 5
Original post by infairverona
Have you considered alternative routes? Why do you need an actual degree in Japanese, there are other qualifications in languages that you could pay for as you go along. Unless you specifically need a degree in Japanese for a job that you want or something I wouldn't bother, I can't imagine getting any funding for it especially from a bank - if you haven't used your last degree very much and you're doing temp jobs, they probably wouldn't see it as a very secure loan for them (I don't know if you can even get a loan for education, I know you can't for postgraduate degrees, you can only get a career development loan up to 10k)

[e] Also you often don't need Japanese background quals to study Japanese at degree level, I think SOAS does it for example with no prior knowledge needed. My friend's girlfriend did eng lit and then did a MA/PhD in Korean at SOAS

To be honest no, I haven't considered other routes. I don't specifically need a degree, I'm just not really sure what other routes are open to me being 29 years old.

I did nightschool but it was once a week and didn't lead to a qualification, ideally I want something a bit more intensive. There's a GCSE in Japanese at Manchester College but again its once a week. I was actually going to do the GCSE this year, but was told the course was cancelled and spent the money I'd saved up towards it, only to then find out it was running again after I didn't have the money! I suppose that is my current option but the course won't be starting again until next September (if it runs at all, sounds like its on shaky ground).

The only way I really learn anything is in a classroom setting, when it comes to "self directed study" I don't get anything done. Having someone stand in front of me and say "learn this" or even "go home and learn this and we'll discuss it/be tested on it next time" is just how I learn things.

So I'm not entirely sure what my options are. The actual level of qualification is kind of irrelevant to me (though obviously getting a qualification at the end of something is a huge bonus), I'm more interested in improving and serious learning. I guess I'll have to look into private lessons for something like this?
Reply 6
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Isn't the obvious thing to do simply to go to Japan and enrol in a total immersion language program for 6 months or a year? I don't understand why you'd want to spend time on a GCSE and then return to university for yet more study (and borrow heavily for the privilage)
Reply 7
Original post by Howard
Isn't the obvious thing to do simply to go to Japan and enrol in a total immersion language program for 6 months or a year? I don't understand why you'd want to spend time on a GCSE and then return to university for yet more study (and borrow heavily for the privilage)

Well that'd be ideal, but expensive and not as easy as studying here (I'm guessing there are things like visas etc. involved). Studying is expensive as well, but you can get loans and grants to help cover the costs of it, though I've already done that so its also not an option.

That said, I've not looked at anything like that and it might end up being cheaper than studying here, so thanks for the input. I know someone who is studying for a year in Japan but they told me about the costs and I just kind of wrote the idea off because it was incredibly expensive, but I'll have to revisit the idea and look into it more.
To be honest no, I haven't considered other routes. I don't specifically need a degree, I'm just not really sure what other routes are open to me being 29 years old.

I did nightschool but it was once a week and didn't lead to a qualification, ideally I want something a bit more intensive. There's a GCSE in Japanese at Manchester College but again its once a week. I was actually going to do the GCSE this year, but was told the course was cancelled and spent the money I'd saved up towards it, only to then find out it was running again after I didn't have the money! I suppose that is my current option but the course won't be starting again until next September (if it runs at all, sounds like its on shaky ground).

The only way I really learn anything is in a classroom setting, when it comes to "self directed study" I don't get anything done. Having someone stand in front of me and say "learn this" or even "go home and learn this and we'll discuss it/be tested on it next time" is just how I learn things.

So I'm not entirely sure what my options are. The actual level of qualification is kind of irrelevant to me (though obviously getting a qualification at the end of something is a huge bonus), I'm more interested in improving and serious learning. I guess I'll have to look into private lessons for something like this?

First of all I didn't realise how harsh the tone of my first post came across so I'm sorry about that, I just read it and cringed. There's other qualifications like language certificates, the JLPT for example would possibly be better suited to you if you're just looking to get fluent as possible in the language. Degrees, as I'm sure you already know, are more academic etc whereas if you want practical language skills the JLPT would be better and probably much cheaper
Reply 9
Original post by infairverona
First of all I didn't realise how harsh the tone of my first post came across so I'm sorry about that, I just read it and cringed. There's other qualifications like language certificates, the JLPT for example would possibly be better suited to you if you're just looking to get fluent as possible in the language. Degrees, as I'm sure you already know, are more academic etc whereas if you want practical language skills the JLPT would be better and probably much cheaper

Don't worry, I didn't take any insult from your post!

JLPT would be the kind of tests I'd want to do, but it doesn't seem like it has any kind of course attached to it, so its a matter of figuring out which course to take to be able to pass JLPT grades. From what I understand GCSE is about N5-N4 level but its not a direct comparison.

I've got some ideas from all of this anyway, so thanks all. Doesn't look like another degree is plasible or even the best thing to do, so I'll look into JLPT equivalent courses and also studying abroad, as I have several friends working in Japan at the moment. Thanks!
The gcse at the Manchester college sounds well worth it if they run it again. They should offer payment plans if that helps.

I don't know if they exist but you could look into doing a masters degree in Japanese. Financially, at the moment, it makes more sense to self fund a masters in order to take on a new subject than it does to daunt yourself with the idea of having to self fund an undergraduate degree. It is possible to get onto some masters courses without an undergraduate degree in the same subject. You'll need to do a good person statement dealing why the course is important to you and the skills and interests you can bring to it.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
https://www.soas.ac.uk/japankorea/programmes/majapstud/

There you go op :smile: This looks fascinating and if I had unlimited time and money it would certainly be on my to do list :smile:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Why not do a masters? Like the above says this link lets you do it

https://www.soas.ac.uk/japankorea/programmes/majapstud/

Plus you can get a postgraduate loan now.
(edited 8 years ago)

Hey, I graduated in the same year as yourself with a BA and have a similar story of bouncing around temp jobs.

I'm returning to uni in 2016 for another undergrad degree. The only reason I'm able to do this is because I'll be doing an NHS funded course and because my living costs will be nil since I'll stay with family. If it wasn't for those two things, I couldn't return for a second undergrad unless I won the lotto. As far as I'm aware, you'd have to pay tuition costs for any other type of degree (non-NHS funded) and that would amount to about £27K overall.

So your best option is to look at masters degrees in the field that interests you and research funding for them and any kind of scholarships/bursaries. Also,be really careful about doing more degree courses (whether undergrad or postgrad) until you've looked into how exactly it will benefit you and advance your career because you really don't want to end up thousands of pounds poorer with no improvement in your employability. Best of luck.
Well that'd be ideal, but expensive and not as easy as studying here (I'm guessing there are things like visas etc. involved). Studying is expensive as well, but you can get loans and grants to help cover the costs of it, though I've already done that so its also not an option.

That said, I've not looked at anything like that and it might end up being cheaper than studying here, so thanks for the input. I know someone who is studying for a year in Japan but they told me about the costs and I just kind of wrote the idea off because it was incredibly expensive, but I'll have to revisit the idea and look into it more.

You could teach English in Japan and use your free time to learn Japanese. As already said: Another degree will probably doesn't help you at all, just cost you a lot of money. And before you save up 27 Pounds, you save up enough to go to Japan.
Reply 15
Hi all, thanks for the responses, I was back at my family's over xmas and I forgot about this thread.

The GCSE at Manchester College does sound good, but its IF they run it again. I was going to start it in September just gone but they told me all language courses at the college apart from things like French and German had been cancelled, so I spent the money I'd saved on it. Then out of the blue and at very short notice, they told me it was in fact running, but I didn't have the cash to hand and I wasn't really prepared. So I don't want to count on that running again which involves waiting until September and then to possibly be told at the last second it's not running. Too unreliable, and ages off.

The SOAS postgrad course actually does look really interesting, so thanks for linking that! I'm definitely not going to go back to undergrad level now, aside from it just not being financially impossible I don't think I'd gain much from it overall.

I've got a friend who has been living in Japan for about 3 years teaching English, and while he loves it, teaching in a school is just not for me, I'm just not the kind of person who could do it. Also I hate kids!

My top choice at the moment is to go over to Japan and study the language there. What I'm looking at doing is an immersion course through a private school. Someone I did my night classes with is doing that at the moment and they gave me details of the company that sets everything up, so I'm currently emailing them for information. It would be expensive, but way less than going to back to uni would be, and I'd get much more out of it. I really want my main daily activity to be learning, rather than fitting it around work so I'm thinking of doing at least a 6 month course, possibly a year if I can afford it. Only thing is that it doesn't lead to a qualification at the end, so I'd probably have to do a JLPT when I got back to get something like that.

Basically, I'm not too concerned about becoming more employable, I just want to do what genuinely interests me while I'm still able to. If that leads to being more employable along the way then that's a great bonus, and I would like to work in some kind of translation/interpreting profession; I met someone from Japan who was doing it for Sony and it sounded like something I'd actually like to do, and this is the first step to that really. I'm not the kind of person who learns well in "spare time", I really need a classroom and teacher to learn properly, but that's increasingly hard for beginner level things as you get older. So, better to try and possibly fail at something you care about than waste my life doing jobs I've no interest in, right?

So thanks everyone for the suggestions, any other ideas or comments please post them. I'll try to remember to let you know what I decide on in the end.
Hi all, thanks for the responses, I was back at my family's over xmas and I forgot about this thread.

The GCSE at Manchester College does sound good, but its IF they run it again. I was going to start it in September just gone but they told me all language courses at the college apart from things like French and German had been cancelled, so I spent the money I'd saved on it. Then out of the blue and at very short notice, they told me it was in fact running, but I didn't have the cash to hand and I wasn't really prepared. So I don't want to count on that running again which involves waiting until September and then to possibly be told at the last second it's not running. Too unreliable, and ages off.

The SOAS postgrad course actually does look really interesting, so thanks for linking that! I'm definitely not going to go back to undergrad level now, aside from it just not being financially impossible I don't think I'd gain much from it overall.

I've got a friend who has been living in Japan for about 3 years teaching English, and while he loves it, teaching in a school is just not for me, I'm just not the kind of person who could do it. Also I hate kids!

My top choice at the moment is to go over to Japan and study the language there. What I'm looking at doing is an immersion course through a private school. Someone I did my night classes with is doing that at the moment and they gave me details of the company that sets everything up, so I'm currently emailing them for information. It would be expensive, but way less than going to back to uni would be, and I'd get much more out of it. I really want my main daily activity to be learning, rather than fitting it around work so I'm thinking of doing at least a 6 month course, possibly a year if I can afford it. Only thing is that it doesn't lead to a qualification at the end, so I'd probably have to do a JLPT when I got back to get something like that.

Basically, I'm not too concerned about becoming more employable, I just want to do what genuinely interests me while I'm still able to. If that leads to being more employable along the way then that's a great bonus, and I would like to work in some kind of translation/interpreting profession; I met someone from Japan who was doing it for Sony and it sounded like something I'd actually like to do, and this is the first step to that really. I'm not the kind of person who learns well in "spare time", I really need a classroom and teacher to learn properly, but that's increasingly hard for beginner level things as you get older. So, better to try and possibly fail at something you care about than waste my life doing jobs I've no interest in, right?

So thanks everyone for the suggestions, any other ideas or comments please post them. I'll try to remember to let you know what I decide on in the end.

I am intrigued to know what you ended up doing?
Reply 17
Original post by CobzbyThen
I am intrigued to know what you ended up doing?

Wow, totally forgot about this!

Unfortunately, I've ended up doing nothing. I've been struggling with depression the past year so I'm currently out of work, and had to move back to my dad's place since it has also resulted in me losing my job.

I was planning on studying privately in Japan based on the recommendations of a friend (as detailed above), but I no longer think that's a worthwhile expenditure (not that I have the money for it anyway).
It'd cost a whole bunch, and the person I knew who did it, while they had an amazing time, ended up having to come home straight after it finished. She could have applied for a work over there but it would have been the standard ALT (language assistant in a school) work by the sounds of it, which she didn't want to do, and she's married so it sounds like coming back was the best option for her.

The GCSE course at Manchester College I mentioned no longer exists; in fact they no longer offer ANY language courses there at all, even things like French. They've gotten rid of a ton of courses there, as seems to be the pattern at a lot of higher education facilities. Nowhere local to me offers anything at the level I'd want anymore it seems.

I still do want to make a go of this, but my options seem to become more limited as time goes on. I'm still considering applying for teaching English in Japan, as it seems to be the only avenue left to me at this point, but I'm really not the personality type for it at all, so it'd be a huge amount of stress for me. It might be a necessary sacrifice, however.

So sorry for a bit of a downer of a story, but I'm sure its nothing unusual with the way things are these days. If anyone has any other suggestions of things to try, they'd be greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending