The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
tehjonny
The training is very rigorous. 15mile jogs and the like.

If you turn up unfit, you're not going to get through training, which is of course a waste of time and resources from their point of view :p:.

I do wonder why you need to be fit though. I've a few mates in the Armed Forces, and all they did was get fit for 24wks...and then go straight back to their old ways! They aren't fit now they are actually serving! Got a pic of a mate in Basra actually, he's got a bloody can of carlsberg in one hand and a fag in the other. All he needs now is a pair of Union Jack undies and a terrified german tourist at his heel, and you'd think he was in Malaga :p:.

okaysies.

that sounds like my kind of job; getting paid to sit around smoking, drinking and shooting at stuff. :biggrin:
Reply 41
If there was a threat to my own country, yes, I'd join the army.
But not at the minute, no. Especially when troops arent getting the equipment they need.

I wouldn't want to simply end up as a 10 second news bulletin:
"6 British troops were killed today just south of Bagdhad in an IED blast."

I have the upmost respect for the troops that are currently serving though.
Reply 42
If I was physically fit enough, which I am not, and there was a direct threat towards the UK I would probably sign up.
Reply 43
Can you do anything fun in the military with bad eyesight?
Reply 44
TheVlad
Can you do anything fun in the military with bad eyesight?

Basically, no. Even the cannonfodder...sorry, squaddies have to have workable eyesight. What with having to aim at targets several hundred meters away and all. Can't have people stopping to put contacts back in can we.
Reply 45
Is that different in the US? I'm sure I've seen news reports with some front line American soldiers wearing glasses.
Reply 46
Possibly, the requirements vary here as well. Pilots need 20/20 but you can gradually get away with worse as you move into other roles. To be in an armoured corp you need pretty good eyesight but less so in the infantry. Either way, it has to be workable. But I'd ask a recruitment officer for specifics.
Reply 47
It's ok. I'm not interested in a military career but my ego likes to think that I could do it if I wanted to.
Reply 48
Agent Smith
Because the working environment wouldn't be challenging enough - or rather, would be challenging in the wrong ways.

Don't be silly. Even infantrymen have come up with tactics and find ways to execute them, which usually requires innovation. It certainly uses more intellectual stimulation than some desk job.

I actually regret not joining, but I'm not sure I'd have passed the physical back then.
Reply 49
Bismarck
Don't be silly. Even infantrymen have come up with tactics and find ways to execute them, which usually requires innovation. It certainly uses more intellectual stimulation than some desk job.

I actually regret not joining, but I'm not sure I'd have passed the physical back then.

......bismarck in the IDF? :biggrin:

#hump#
Reply 50
Thud
......bismarck in the IDF? :biggrin:

#hump#

Tsk, it would be the US military.
Reply 51
U.S Military, Yuck. All this 'leave no man behind' business.

You want the old British Army style, like it was during the Second World War, if someone was a burden, you leave them where they fall. The objective comes first. Now THAT is challenging.
Reply 52
Bismarck

:frown:

no good then.
Bismarck

In that case, make sure to remember that the people with the Union Jacks are the GOOD GUYS :wink:
I'm a "bright young student" as described. I fully intend to go to MIT, possibly followed by St Andrews, then straight into the RAF and I'm damn proud of that ambition and determined to achieve my goal.
Reply 55
I'm only taking a bullet for family. No one else. Also I'd fail the physical, and am too suseptible to sell out for 6 figures.
I'd be rather worried about all those stories of systematic rape and sexual abuse women have faced in the army. Makes me rather scraed....
Because i don't like the idea of killing people, or being killed. Simple really.
Reply 58
croissant_fever
I'd be rather worried about all those stories of systematic rape and sexual abuse women have faced in the army. Makes me rather scraed....

In the British Army? What stories?
ok i lied, i think most of the stories i've heard have been from the us army

http://comment.independent.co.uk/leading_articles/article31943.ece is the only one i could find in reference to the british army after about 5 minutes searching. needless to say i won't be joining the us army. mainly because i'm british tho

Latest

Trending

Trending