The Student Room Group

Oxford 'Rhodes must fall' students are like ISIS destroying monuments in Palmyra

A piece of artwork from another context and time doesn't fit with your ideological beliefs and dogma? Tear it down! Two sides of the same coin.

Scroll to see replies

Yep, look at those cultural vandals destroying a statue of a man that shaped the history of a nation.... shocking.

[video="youtube;B1PPNfGVW0s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1PPNfGVW0s[/video]

I actually don't really care either way about the Rhodes statue. It has got the social justice warriors on both sides of the debate up in anger and I have no idea why. Slow news period?

I also think trying to draw parallels between some student protesters and the murderous ISIS is just cheap hyperbole.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Quantex
Yep, look at those cultural vandals destroying a statue of a man that shaped the history of a nation.... shocking.

[video="youtube;B1PPNfGVW0s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1PPNfGVW0s[/video]

I actually don't really care either way about the Rhodes statue. It has got the social justice warriors on both sides of the debate up in anger and I have no idea why. Slow news period?

I also think trying to draw parallels between some student protesters and the murderous ISIS is just cheap hyperbole.

That was driven by raw anger - an emotional response. This is driven by calculated ideological censorship from people on behalf of others who are long-dead.
No man is without flaw. Should all monuments in the western world to mandella be taken down because he was a terrorist at times? Churchill have his statue in Parliament taken down for being a wartime leader and the stuff that comes with? Thatcher for God knows how many things the haters come out with? The statues in Parliament square, they probably did some not perfect things? The busts down whitehall and the war memorials, after all, the busts are of men that sent millions to fight and die and caused the deaths of many many thousands in doing so, and the war memorials are for people who killed or were willing to kill?

All depictions of all people, living or dead, real or fictional, should be removed and we should live in an artless society. And people will still manage to get offended, so **** the lot of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They can't touch the statue as it is part of a listed building. Debate over.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree.

If they are to take down that statue, what next? We cannot give in to these special-snowflake lunatics.
What has Rhodes done that deserves the anger? He is an imperialist I heard?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HucktheForde
What has Rhodes done that deserves the anger? He is an imperialist I heard?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He had a whole country named after him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
the statue of Boudicca/Boadicea/Buddug in London should be removed and destroyed immediately.
she presided over the massacre of thousands of innocent Roman civilians in Londinium, Verulamium and Camulodunum. cow.
Original post by DiddyDec

Posted from TSR Mobile

and an Island :flute:
Original post by DiddyDec

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rhodesia?

Posted from TSR Mobile
To quote from an Independent editorial:

A mature and thoughtful debate about Rhodes and his role in creating the society we have today is required to understand his legacy fully. The removal of a statue will do little to achieve that.
Original post by Lady Comstock
A piece of artwork from another context and time doesn't fit with your ideological beliefs and dogma? Tear it down! Two sides of the same coin.

Original post by the bear
the statue of Boudicca/Boadicea/Buddug in London should be removed and destroyed immediately.
she presided over the massacre of thousands of innocent Roman civilians in Londinium, Verulamium and Camulodunum. cow.

This.
Reply 14
First world problems
Original post by the bear

And didn't really achieve anything from it all either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lady Comstock

lol you are dramatic, it is too funny
Original post by Johann von Gauss
All these people arguing that we are 'rewriting history' by doing this

Why not? Why shouldn't we?

There wouldn't be any neo-Nazis if we wiped Hitler out of the history books - nobody for them to flock to
There wouldn't be any little Englanders arguing that 'muslim immigrants are taking over' if we didn't teach that England used to be a white Christian country
There wouldn't be racism if we didn't actually know that races were different and come from different places - blacks from Africa, whites from europe, etc.

i.e. wouldn't it be better if we pretended everything was always how it is now, then people would stop complaining about immigration, UKIP wouldn't even exist then

But let us consider the flip side, antisemitism would still be a thing and we would likely, once again, not sort out the problem of Neo-naziism until it's too late
People would still have a problem with "muslim immigration" because they are still foreign and they are still associated with terrorism
And people have to be pretty damn stupid to not think that people of very distinct ethnicities are from different places unless you also change the teaching of genetics.
Why not? Why shouldn't we?

Because we wouldn't then be able to learn the lessons history has taught us.
No; we can teach that it has always been like this

By your logic, there would be no distinct species of animal in the UK

Which then turns racism into speciesm, or whatever you wish to call it, after all, the blacks and the arabs and the asians are going to be of a different species, right? How are we going to explain why interracial relationships are very new, or are you also going to say that human history started last week too?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending