The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1004wsh
Hey guys, apologies in advance if this is something everyone is aware of except me :smile:
Looking at some threads I read comments about ratings the interviewers give to the candidates right after the interviews, e.g. 5.5 or sth like that - what are these? Are they official things? I've never heard of such thing and cannot find anything about it on the internet. What is the rating??

I think you either misread or remember it wrongly. They do not give rating of interview to applicants after the interview.
You can ask for feedback of your application/interview IF you are rejected and the feedback may include the info like interview score (but not always), but that's the only way to find out normally. (Or you may be able to ask your DoS personally about it after you get in)
Reply 2
Original post by 1004wsh
Hey guys, apologies in advance if this is something everyone is aware of except me :smile:
Looking at some threads I read comments about ratings the interviewers give to the candidates right after the interviews, e.g. 5.5 or sth like that - what are these? Are they official things? I've never heard of such thing and cannot find anything about it on the internet. What is the rating??

Interviews are scored as follows. This is not shared with the candidate. (Although, as @vincrows says, can be requested in feedback if you are unsuccessful.)

10 Exceptional applicant - must make an offer
9 Very strong - definitely worth an offer
8 Strong - worth an offer
7Probably worth an offer
6Possibly worth an offer
5Doubtful for an offer
4Weak
3and below, probably unacceptable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Interviews are scored as follows. This is not shared with the candidate. (Although, as @vincrows says, can be requested in feedback if you are unsuccessful.)

10 Exceptional applicant - must make an offer
9 Very strong - definitely worth an offer
8 Strong - worth an offer
7Probably worth an offer
6Possibly worth an offer
5Doubtful for an offer
4Weak
3and below, probably unacceptable

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that a score just for the interview, or for the whole application?
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Is that a score just for the interview, or for the whole application?

The form only has the one key, which is the one jneil quotes. It's not made clear whether that is for the interview or the whole application. Personally, I take it to mean the whole application and I think that's what most people do.

What people generally describe as 'interview scores' are really 'interviewer scores for the whole application'. In some cases, however, interviewers will only provide an interview score and at other times some interviewers will only give an overall score. One of the many reasons why 'interview research' is difficult.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
The form only has the one key, which is the one jneil quotes. It's not made clear whether that is for the interview or the whole application. Personally, I take it to mean the whole application and I think that's what most people do.

What people generally describe as 'interview scores' are really 'interviewer scores for the whole application'. In some cases, however, interviewers will only provide an interview score and at other times some interviewers will only give an overall score. One of the many reasons why 'interview research' is difficult.

Sounds like having clearer standardised central instructions would help with that though?

Kinda sounds like the ambiguity there is entirely of Cambridge's making. I mean, if you're an admissions tutor and you think the form doesn't make things clear, I personally think that's a problem, although of course I have no insider insight.

So for most applicants, they don't actually get an interview score? Just an overall application score using the scale jneill posted?
Reply 6

Sounds like having clearer standardised central instructions would help with that though?

Kinda sounds like the ambiguity there is entirely of Cambridge's making. I mean, if you're an admissions tutor and you think the form doesn't make things clear, I personally think that's a problem, although of course I have no insider insight.

So for most applicants, they don't actually get an interview score? Just an overall application score using the scale jneill posted?

I understand the form has opportunities to score the interview seperately to the overall application. It sounds as if guidance needs to be given to encourage seperate scoring of each element (i.e. the interview on it's own, vs the overall application).

Blank form: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/173955/response/423635/attach/3/blank%20interview%20report%20form.docx
(edited 8 years ago)

While it's not spelled out as to which score the key is to refer to, it doesn't really need to be 100% clear in order to be helpful. Academics will and do use it as they see fit, there are hundreds of people involved in interviews each year and the key is a helpful guide but not dictatorial. Scores means different things to different people as I've said before. Admissions is not cold hard numbers fed into a computer and a results comes out the other end, it is a human process which involves discussion and debate an the interview and overall scores help in that process.

On most forms, interviewers fill in an interview score and an overall score but not always. Whatever they do, the scores and the candidates are discussed between the interviews themselves and then between them or the DoS alone and the AT before final decisions are made.
Original post by jneill
I uderstand the form has opportunities to score the interview seperately to the overall application. It sounds as if guidance needs to be given to encourage seperate scoring of each element (i.e. the interview on it's own, vs the overall application).

Blank form: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/173955/response/423635/attach/3/blank%20interview%20report%20form.docx

Guidance is given but it is only guidance and best practice. Not all people will and do follow it and that would be a significant problem only if the scores were the final factor in deciding who gets places.
Reply 9
Guidance is given but it is only guidance and best practice. Not all people will and do follow it and that would be a significant problem only if the scores were the final factor in deciding who gets places.

I think what I was getting at ( and I guess @Chief Wiggum too?) was if the interview scoring was more standardised (and separate) then it could be helpful when analysing the effectiveness of the interview itself in the process?

Anyway - and more importantly - I hope you and your familly are having a nice Christmas :smile:
Original post by jneill
I think what I was getting at ( and I guess @Chief Wiggum too?) was if the interview scoring was more standardised (and separate) then it could be helpful when analysing the effectiveness of the interview itself in the process?

Anyway - and more importantly - I hope you and your familly are having a nice Christmas :smile:

We are all well thank you, I hope you are too. Of course it would be helpful if people filled in all the boxes but they are academics so one can't expect them all to do the same thing! It was only be a major problem if one couldn't actually talk to the interviewers but we can and do and that helps to clarify any ambiguities about how an interviewer rates a particular candidate.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by jneill
I understand the form has opportunities to score the interview seperately to the overall application. It sounds as if guidance needs to be given to encourage seperate scoring of each element (i.e. the interview on it's own, vs the overall application).

Thank you so much! How did you get all that information?! So cool.
Reply 12

I did not expect an actual admission officer here..wow.. So now it means that the score thing is legit!
Thank you for your info and happy new year!
Reply 13
We are all well thank you, I hope you are too. Of course it would be helpful if people filled in all the boxes but they are academics so one can expect them all to do the same thing! It was only be a major problem if one couldn't actually talk to the interviewers but we can and do and that helps to clarify any ambiguities about how an interviewer rates a particular candidate.

PRSOM :smile:
Original post by z
PRSOM :smile:

I don't understand this. If you have a law interview in the morning and then take the Cambridge Law Test in the afternoon how is your result factored into the interviewers score (which will have been done). Then come the winter pool how do those reviewing the applicants know what the interviewers score means. Interview or overall?
Reply 15
Original post by Artilinean
I don't understand this. If you have a law interview in the morning and then take the Cambridge Law Test in the afternoon how is your result factored into the interviewers score (which will have been done). Then come the winter pool how do those reviewing the applicants know what the interviewers score means. Interview or overall?

I guess that is why Christ's Admissions said that "it's not spelled out as to which score the key is to refer to". So in your case the score might be just for the interview alone, rather than a holistic one.
Reply 16

The DoSs and ATs assess everything. I think you can trust them... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Generally when this happens the interviewers who have not seen the test won't give a mark for it on the box marked test and their overall score will be simply inclusive of all they have seen (the paper file and the interview). As is said above the AT and the DoS have view of everything including all interviewers scores and the test paper and score.
What do you do if someone gets a score of 5.5 on their first interview but a score of 8/8+ on their second interview
We are all well thank you, I hope you are too. Of course it would be helpful if people filled in all the boxes but they are academics so one can't expect them all to do the same thing! It was only be a major problem if one couldn't actually talk to the interviewers but we can and do and that helps to clarify any ambiguities about how an interviewer rates a particular candidate.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a “GCSE score” - it appears on those forms filled out by interviewers. My daughter had her interview(s) yesterday, she said that they went well. Her GCSEs are 99988877766. So what would her GCSE score be? And what ”adjustments” could be made to that score and what difference would they make? She went to poor school with low GCSE results. Sorry if this is repeated elsewhere, I couldn’t find it, thanks in advance!

Latest

Trending

Trending