The Student Room Group

How highly does Ronaldinho rank amongst the great Brazilians?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Best striker in history is absolute nonsense.

Suarez outstrips Henry, he's more in conversation with the likes of Batistuta and Fenomeno.

In modern history who was/is better than Brazillian Ronaldo in his peak? (I said in his prime rather than his entire career).

None of us can claim to have watched Pele properly so I'm discounting him and all of those other stat machines around the 60s-80s(plus the game has changed considerably). Suarez in a few years I guess could be in the conversation but would you say his peak at Liverpool and Barcelona(3 and a half years) is any better than Ronaldo's peak from PSV to Inter? Plus when you factor the World Cup performances etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Personally I enjoyed watching him the most at his peak, but he didn't inspire Brazil to a World Cup in the way Ronaldo and Pele have done. (I know he did win it, but Ronaldo played a bigger part in 2002).

I'd agree with others he's in the 2nd tier of all time Brazillian greats.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Maybe. Can't just leave Garrincha on his own in Tier 2, maybe put Santos in there with him or something. Agree that it's silly to say Ronaldo's the greatest striker ever.

Well I don't know if you mean Nilton or Djalma. If you want another tier 2 then look to Zico of course.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Well I don't know if you mean Nilton or Djalma. If you want another tier 2 then look to Zico of course.

Djalma, but both could go in really
Original post by Manchester United
Are we talking about primes or are we talking about the entirety of their career? Ronaldinho was at prime for a short period of time, as was Kaka. As for comparing their entire career it's not wrong at all to put Henry in the same group as Brazilian Ronaldo. We should reward consistency, that's what makes Ronaldo and Messi so phenomenal, the fact that they maintain these ridiculous goalscoring averages and performances over almost eight years.

Talking about primes with regard to Luis Ronaldo. That's why I made that statement.

No idea who is the best ever in terms of their entire career. Luis Ronaldo despite the end of his Madrid career dwindling out still had a very good record there too(although his performances there were something more comparable with the likes of Lewandowski/Aguero etc.).

Also remember that guy in the 2002 WC just raiding everybody.
The World Cup is the ultimate btw, not the Champions League.

If you can't produce your best football at the World Cup, why even exist as a footballer. Unless of course you're born in / play for a minnow.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jam277
In modern history who was/is better than Brazillian Ronaldo in his peak? (I said in his prime rather than his entire career).

None of us can claim to have watched Pele properly so I'm discounting him and all of those other stat machines around the 60s-80s(plus the game has changed considerably). Suarez in a few years I guess could be in the conversation but would you say his peak at Liverpool and Barcelona(3 and a half years) is any better than Ronaldo's peak?

If you want to discount all players pre-Ronaldo then say that, don't make out like he's the greatest ever and then narrow down the time period afterwards.

Suarez doesn't need a few years to be in the conversation. His goals record from 2012 onwards matches Ronaldo's at his peak, and that's without penalties. And nobody would ever argue that Ronaldo offered more to a team than Suarez, in terms of creativity, selflessness and intangibles.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Djalma, but both could go in really

Both could be discussed alongside Garrincha? Nah. I could probably object to Garrincha even being a tier below Pele.

Garrincha was the original Diego, he won the WC by himself. Just was too busy drinking to promote himself as the greatest. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10874465/How-and-why-Peles-mystique-and-reputation-as-the-worlds-greatest-ever-footballer-has-been-overhyped.html

Great article
Original post by jam277
Talking about primes with regard to Luis Ronaldo. That's why I made that statement.

No idea who is the best ever in terms of their entire career. Luis Ronaldo despite the end of his Madrid career dwindling out still had a very good record there too(although his performances there were something more comparable with the likes of Lewandowski/Aguero etc.).

Also remember that guy in the 2002 WC just raiding everybody.

Kind of crazy considering he was at the end of his competitive career, that was his bottom level basically, a tank half full and weight problems. Some of his goals were just a bit crazy, he was more a showboater/entertainer than Messi, but just as effective at scoring goals... just he is not the all round player that Messi is.
Ronaldinho's technique and ball control is up there with the best players I have ever seen in the world, not an exaggeration.

Quick Reply

Latest