The Student Room Group

Revision For Edexcel IGCSE maths exam in January 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by starstudent7
Can you do this question as well? Thanks for your help.
Capture 5.PNG

Sorry I took so long. I got confused on a couple of questions at the back :/

I actually got question 17 wrong :frown:

I've attached a screenshot I got off a YouTube video for q17, and my (correct) working for the others :smile:

EDIT: For some reason TSR won't let me attach this, so here's a link:
http://imgur.com/a/tbHxU
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by petrus123
I do (at least to GCSE level) :smile:
What are you confused about?

The inverse Function. I find it reLLY HARD AND CONFUSING :frown:
Original post by nisha.sri
The inverse Function. I find it reLLY HARD AND CONFUSING :frown:

Have you seen the method I wrote out earlier? That might help.

Here are a few things to think about.

1) The inverse function should take the 'output' of the function and produce its 'input'.

e.g. f(x) = x + 1. If x = 2 ('input'), f(x) = 3 ('output')
f-1(x) = x - 1. If we put the 'output' of f(x) in (3), we get the 'input' (3-1 = 2)

2) You can plot functions on a graph. If you have x on the x-axis and f(x) on the y-axis, you can estimate solutions.

3) When you do the method I wrote out for finding the inverse function, you are switching the x and y axes around (by switching x and y in the equations). So where you would go to 2 on the x axis, and get 3 on the y axis (for the function above), the inverse is a reflection around y = x, so if you go to 3 on the x axis, you will get 2 on the y axis.

Hopefully that makes sense. I'm not really sure what you're confused about, so let me know if you have any specific questions. (Also, I'm a little tired, so sorry if I'm not writing clearly.

1) The inverse function should take the 'output' of the function and produce its 'input'.

e.g. f(x) = x + 1. If x = 2 ('input':wink:, f(x) = 3 ('output':wink:
f-1(x) = x - 1. If we put the 'output' of f(x) in (3), we get the 'input' (3-1 = 2)

2) You can plot functions on a graph. If you have x on the x-axis and f(x) on the y-axis, you can estimate solutions.

3) When you do the method I wrote out for finding the inverse function, you are switching the x and y axes around (by switching x and y in the equations). So where you would go to 2 on the x axis, and get 3 on the y axis (for the function above), the inverse is a reflection around y = x, so if you go to 3 on the x axis, you will get 2 on the y axis.

Hopefully that makes sense. I'm not really sure what you're confused about, so let me know if you have any specific questions. (Also, I'm a little tired, so sorry if I'm not writing clearly.[/QUO

Thanks you i guess that helped a little do you know any topic that would come up?
Does anyone know anything that would come up ?
Sorry I took so long. I got confused on a couple of questions at the back :/

I actually got question 17 wrong :frown:

I've attached a screenshot I got off a YouTube video for q17, and my (correct) working for the others :smile:

EDIT: For some reason TSR won't let me attach this, so here's a link:
http://imgur.com/a/tbHxU

Thank you so much!!!:smile:

Hopefully that makes sense. I'm not really sure what you're confused about, so let me know if you have any specific questions. (Also, I'm a little tired, so sorry if I'm not writing clearly.

You seem really good at maths. How many marks do you get out of 100 on average on a paper?
You seem really good at maths. How many marks do you get out of 100 on average on a paper?

Thanks :smile: I just got 96% in Jan 2014 3H. My record is 98% (so close, yet so far... :biggrin:)

But I'm in second set maths (not the genius set), because I find geometry harder to grasp. Things like 3D trig and circle theorems are really hard for me (partially because I have visual deficiency issues but that's a separate story). Stuff like functions is interesting and, at GCSE level, quite easy for me.

How have you been getting on in past papers?
Thanks :smile: I just got 96% in Jan 2014 3H. My record is 98% (so close, yet so far... :biggrin:)

But I'm in second set maths (not the genius set), because I find geometry harder to grasp. Things like 3D trig and circle theorems are really hard for me (partially because I have visual deficiency issues but that's a separate story). Stuff like functions is interesting and, at GCSE level, quite easy for me.

How have you been getting on in past papers?

I am getting between 75-83 marks. Can you explain how you answered question 11 on January 2014 3H paper. I did a different working out for it but on the mark scheme it was different and my answer didn't match. Did you get that question right? I am quite good at geometry but I find functions and vectors hard as I haven't been taught it in class yet. I didn't even know I was going to do IGCSE till november 2015 as I was going to do the linear AQA maths for the past 2 years so we didn't learn functions or sets. I had to teach myself some topics too.:biggrin: I really hope that I get an A*. I got an A* in the recent paper that I did so perhaps I have got better. :smile: How are you with set theory and dod you recommend anyone on youtube that teach it well?
Original post by ursulab
I am taking the exam! I can't believe it's this Monday. I have completed every past paper since 2003. I will be reviewing all the papers this weekend and tonight. I'm incredibly nervous! If I don't get an A* I will die.

Sameeeee
I am getting between 75-83 marks. Can you explain how you answered question 11 on January 2014 3H paper. I did a different working out for it but on the mark scheme it was different and my answer didn't match. Did you get that question right? I am quite good at geometry but I find functions and vectors hard as I haven't been taught it in class yet. I didn't even know I was going to do IGCSE till november 2015 as I was going to do the linear AQA maths for the past 2 years so we didn't learn functions or sets. I had to teach myself some topics too.:biggrin: I really hope that I get an A*. I got an A* in the recent paper that I did so perhaps I have got better. :smile: How are you with set theory and dod you recommend anyone on youtube that teach it well?

YouTube is probably your best friend at this point! If you really struggle, and I can't explain something well (which is quite likely lol), try emailing your maths teacher, or even seeing them half an hour or so before the exam. They might be happy to help :smile:

I took a picture of my working for Q11, so it should be added to the imgur album.

Also, are you making mainly careless mistakes or conceptual mistakes. You should try to figure this out, because then you know where to focus your time. I used to make more careless mistakes than I do now, so if you're making a lot of careless mistakes, let me know.
[QUOTE="nisha.sri;61868779"]

Hopefully that makes sense. I'm not really sure what you're confused about, so let me know if you have any specific questions. (Also, I'm a little tired, so sorry if I'm not writing clearly.[/QUO

Thanks you i guess that helped a little do you know any topic that would come up?

Just (try to) revise everything. We can only guess and statistically speculate. Look through the syllabus and see if there are any areas you don't understand, then use YouTube, ask me or anyone else, and do whatever you can to understand them.

Good luck :smile:
I used a past paper compendium. Here's one I just found:

https://bournegrammar.wikispaces.com/file/view/Edexcel%20IGCSE%20Higher%20Tier%20Maths%20Compendium%20to%202012%20May.pdf/507476604/Edexcel%20IGCSE%20Higher%20Tier%20Maths%20Compendium%20to%202012%20May.pdf

So you can enjoy almost 1000 pages of past papers!

Make sure you understand all the concepts. If you don't know the method but you get the concept, you can probably figure out a method, because you get a lot of time in the exam, and even if you don't, you can write some starting ideas and get a mark or 2.

Find worked solutions using Google or YouTube for questions you're unsure about (or ask me - I should know all the topics by now, as I'm about to take the exam too!)

Good luck :smile:

Would you get questions from 2004 and before 2011 context type questions?
Would you get questions from 2004 and before 2011 context type questions?

Sorry, I don't really understand your question. The maths syllabus doesn't seem to have changed much (from doing a load of past papers).
Sorry, I don't really understand your question. The maths syllabus doesn't seem to have changed much (from doing a load of past papers).[/QUO

I dont really know how to phrase it but would you get similar questions from 2004 and onwards?
Sorry, I don't really understand your question. The maths syllabus doesn't seem to have changed much (from doing a load of past papers).

I dont really know how to phrase it but would you get similar questions from 2004 and onwards?

From having done 10+ past papers, I have seen similar questions over the years. For example, estimating the mean from a grouped frequency table, or finding a composite function. In my opinion, it's hard to even tell which year a paper is from, so they're all good practice :smile:
From having done 10+ past papers, I have seen similar questions over the years. For example, estimating the mean from a grouped frequency table, or finding a composite function. In my opinion, it's hard to even tell which year a paper is from, so they're all good practice :smile:

I am really badly struggling with composite functions and functions ! Do you know where i can revise from ?? :frown: :'(
Hi Everyone,
I would like your help on how to revise for my maths exam. I am in year 11 and my school is doing the exam early. I have been revising in the Christmas holiday using mathswatch, revision guides and past papers and focused on the topics I am weak at. But I am currently working at A and I want to get an A*. Is anyone else doing the exam on January 11th 2016? If you are doing it how did you revise? What can I do to boost my grades.

HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you.

Do every paper you can find ! :smile:
I am really badly struggling with composite functions and functions ! Do you know where i can revise from ?? :frown: :'(

Try YouTube or BBC Bitesize. There's no point really doing past paper questions until you understand the concept and the method.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending