The Student Room Group

Oxford Offer Holders (2016 Entry)

Congratulations to everyone who got an offer from Oxford!

Thought we needed a place to chat, prepare for results day (and hopefully Fresher's Week!), share questions and find our prospective course and college mates.

Why not introduce yourself with course, college and level of shock?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Course: PPE
College: Wadham

TBH still not sure if it's not a case of mistaken identities and they won't call to take their offer back...!
Reply 2
I'll introduce myself in case I can be of any use to anyone - I'm a first year physicist at St Hugh's (so questions about either of those I can hopefully be helpful about, although I'll try with other/general stuff as well) :smile:
Hi I asked this in the other thread as well but do you think it will be bad if I don't submit my EPQ after putting it as pending on my application. I have finished it but I don't really want to do the presentation. Don't want the extra stress before exams. Chemistry at Wadham
Reply 4
Original post by charliesn14
Hi I asked this in the other thread as well but do you think it will be bad if I don't submit my EPQ after putting it as pending on my application. I have finished it but I don't really want to do the presentation. Don't want the extra stress before exams. Chemistry at Wadham

Nice to hear from a fellow prospective Wadhamite. It would be prudent to check with the college and any uni you're considering taking as insurance, but you should be fine if EPQ doesn't make up part of your offer.

I was quite lucky, the EPQ presentations at my school were optional attendance so I only had to speak in front of about three people :-p
(edited 8 years ago)
So many Wadhamites on this thread. :biggrin: I have an offer from Wadham for EP.
I thought my interviews went well but wasn't sure if my TSA was going to cut it. I was pleasantly surprised upon receiving an offer!
Ok I'll email admissions , won't get a reply till Monday now I assume. It's not likely to be that many people for me either. But I'm worried it would put my off the actually important things at the crucial moment. On a happier note I was completely shocked to get an offer , it felt like I had done terribly , for weeks I was thinking about all the things I did wrong. Then when I saw the thick envelope I nearly passed out .
Reply 7
In my case the admissions test seemed ok but I was sure I had fluffed the interviews. Seems to very difficult to tell how it went.

Re EPQs, it certainly seems unhelpful to have to worry about them right before exams, I hope it can be worked out.
Reply 8
Wadham PPE from Turkey. Getting an offer was both joyful and bitter, I'll need to pay 22,500 pounds for university+college fees every year(as an overseas student) and lira depreciated a lot, and I feel some degree of guilt as that'll require my family to sacrifice all their savings if I can't find any scholarships.
But it feels very strange that I'll meet with real people behind those TSR profiles next year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ylmdk
Wadham PPE from Turkey. Getting an offer was both joyful and bitter, I'll need to pay 22,500 pounds for university+college fees every year(as an overseas student) and lira depreciated a lot, and I feel some degree of guilt as that'll require my family to sacrifice all their savings if I can't find any scholarships.
But it feels very strange that I'll meet with real people behind those TSR profiles next year.

It's amazing how high the fees are- good luck with your scholarship finding!If you're coming from Turkey I presume you didn't come to interview? I know, I do wonder who these people are, I failed to put TSR usernames to faces last month!
Wow another for Wadham. With chemistry there are no tests , it's just all based on the interview. So I was pretty much resigned to failure which felt terrible because I loved Wadham so much the few days I was there. Now I'm delighted but also very worried about getting the grades, I think I can do it , but anything can happen
Reply 11
Wow another for Wadham. With chemistry there are no tests , it's just all based on the interview. So I was pretty much resigned to failure which felt terrible because I loved Wadham so much the few days I was there. Now I'm delighted but also very worried about getting the grades, I think I can do it , but anything can happen

The science offers are much tougher, aren't they? Wadham was such a lively and happy place to be.
Reply 12
Thank you for your good wishes. I didn't want to buy a plane ticket, and preferred a Skype interview. They required me to have a room in my school for the interview. For the first interview, it went fine, but the next day I didn't bring school's mobile phone in the interview room as I thought internet was fine. However, it didn't go smooth in Skype and they wrote that they were calling school's mobile phone. I ran out of the room, and searched where that phone was, and I was breathless when I was responding philosophy tutor's questions. Because sound was much worse than Skype, I had to ask economics tutor to repeat his questions 10 times for every question, and he didn't want to write the questions Skype. It was extremely stressful.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ylmdk
Thank you for your good wishes. I didn't want to buy a plane ticket, and preferred a Skype interview. They required me to have a room in my school for the interview. For the first interview, it went fine, but the next day I didn't bring school's mobile phone in the interview room as I thought internet was fine. However, it didn't go smooth in Skype and they wrote that they were calling school's mobile phone. I ran out of the room, and searched where that phone was, and I was breathless when I was responding philosophy tutor's questions. Because sound was much worse than Skype, I had to ask economics tutor to repeat his questions 10 times for every question, and he didn't want to write the questions Skype so I could respond directly. It was extremely stressful.

Wow I don't think I could've coped with that , congratulations you must have really impressed them despite the difficulties. In the letter we were sent there was a booklet about funding with a list of different scholarships, there may be one for students from turkey or outside the EU in general.
Original post by redtoby
The science offers are much tougher, aren't they? Wadham was such a lively and happy place to be.

A*A*A , there are such fine margins involved. And yes , the students and all of the other applicants were great. We played PS4 all evening , it was a great way to relax. I'm trying my best to not get excited so I can focus on mocks , but it's hard when there is so much to look forward to
My interview was over Skype as well. For those of you who interviewed at Wadham-- what was the atmosphere like?
Reply 16

If you don't continue with EPQ, you must contact UCAS and get it changed on your application as well.
Original post by yazzmatazz
My interview was over Skype as well. For those of you who interviewed at Wadham-- what was the atmosphere like?

It was really relaxed and Informal, even in the interviews really. The JCR is huge and is full of comfortable chairs , and everyone else seemed very normal. We all felt very much like we belonged there
Course: German and Linguistics
College: Somerville
Level of shock: Off the scale!
Course: Japanese
College: Pembroke

Still can't believe I got in tbh. I applied last year (to Wadham!) and didn't get in, so getting an offer this year really threw me and it has been an emotional few days! I've already done my A levels and am currently on my gap year, so technically my offer is unconditional, but the letter said it's conditional on me sending them certificates of my A level results by 1st March lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending