The Student Room Group

Odds of oxbridge law?

Hi everyone!
So basically over the years id never really thought about oxbridge as i just presumed id never ever get in and i was embarassed to try and apply when the time came earlier this year.
Id never really been interested in school properly during gcses and although i didnt do awfully, i certaintly didnt do well
A*
8A's
B

And then at as level i got three A's and a C in maths (my paper marks went A A E .... ). I came top in one subject and third in another.

I am also a member of amnesty youth, tonnes of legal work experience, music groups, duke of ed and charity volunteering. Also not in an arrogant melter kinda way but i also consider nyself quite well read.

So now ive ended up with offers from unis i just dont really wana govto but i also realy wana leave home and start my life properly

Is it worthwhile taking a year out and trying come next year? Or will i just be ignored off the bat? :frown:
What's your UMS in the AS levels?
Original post by Amykennedy1997
Hi everyone!
So basically over the years id never really thought about oxbridge as i just presumed id never ever get in and i was embarassed to try and apply when the time came earlier this year.
Id never really been interested in school properly during gcses and although i didnt do awfully, i certaintly didnt do well
A*
8A's
B

And then at as level i got three A's and a C in maths (my paper marks went A A E .... ). I came top in one subject and third in another.

I am also a member of amnesty youth, tonnes of legal work experience, music groups, duke of ed and charity volunteering. Also not in an arrogant melter kinda way but i also consider nyself quite well read.

So now ive ended up with offers from unis i just dont really wana govto but i also realy wana leave home and start my life properly

Is it worthwhile taking a year out and trying come next year? Or will i just be ignored off the bat? :frown:

Your AS levels are fine. If you can secure 2A* A at A2 it would help. I'm not sure if your GCSEs are good enough, I think the median for Oxford is about 7 or 8 A*s and they seem to care about it a lot.

For Cambridge you would need really high UMS grades to be considered. Most applicants have around 95% UMS across their best 3 subjects, if you can achieve that this year then you would have a decent chance next year. Cambridge also care less about GCSEs so you would be better off applying there IMO.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
I got similar GCSE's as you, only 1 less A
Similar AS, AAAB
and quite similar extra currics too

I got an interview, but ****ed it up, so go for it
Original post by TelAviv
What's your UMS in the AS levels?

Hiya
Politics : 117/120 and 74/80
R.e : 95/100 and 90/100
History (less good, was abit thrown) : 82/100 and 86/100
Maths: 95/100, 89/100 and 23/100

Thank you for such a speedy reply !
Original post by vbreak3
I got similar GCSE's as you, only 1 less A
Similar AS, AAAB
and quite similar extra currics too

I got an interview, but ****ed it up, so go for it

Ya see i feel like the interview would be my only strong card to play !
What went wrong in yours?
Hiya
Politics : 117/120 and 74/80
R.e : 95/100 and 90/100
History (less good, was abit thrown) : 82/100 and 86/100
Maths: 95/100, 89/100 and 23/100

For law, Cambridge will look at the average UMS of your best 3 AS subjects - 90.6% for you.
This will probably get you an interview, but by no means puts you with 'good' chances of an offer. I went to an Emmanuel college open day and I remember an admissions tutor saying that with 90-95% UMS you have like 19% of getting an offer? (across all courses)

Oxford focus more on GCSEs, and although yours are good, most other Oxford law applicants will have more A*s.

That said, I'd definitely have a shot at Cambridge if I were you!

EDIT: As you're applying after your A2s, you can increase your overall UMS for each subject and stand a better chance at getting an offer!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Ya see i feel like the interview would be my only strong card to play !
What went wrong in yours?

idk im still waiting on the feedback for it.
But probably because I tried to defend a rapist (wtf was i thinking)
Original post by Louisb19
Your AS levels are fine. If you can secure 2A* A at A2 it would help. I'm not sure if your GCSEs are good enough, I think the median for Oxford is about 7 or 8 A*s and they seem to care about it a lot.

For Cambridge you would need really high UMS grades to be considered. Most applicants have around 95% UMS across their best 3 subjects, if you can achieve that this year then you would have a decent chance next year. Cambridge also care less about GCSEs so you would be better off applying there

Is it worth the risk do you reckon?
I just wish id given myself a chance and applied :frown:
This might sound silly but is it true you can only apply to one or the other?

This might sound silly but is it true you can only apply to one or the other?

Yes, you can only apply to one of them per admission cycle.
Original post by TelAviv
For law, Cambridge will look at the average UMS of your best 3 AS subjects - 90.6% for you.
This will probably get you an interview, but by no means puts you with 'good' chances of an offer. I went to an Emmanuel college open day and I remember an admissions tutor saying that with 90-95% UMS you have like 19% of getting an offer? (across all courses)

Oxford focus more on GCSEs, and although yours are good, most other Oxford law applicants will have more A*s.

That said, I'd definitely have a shot at Cambridge if I were you!

EDIT: As you're applying after your A2s, you can increase your overall UMS for each subject and stand a better chance at getting an offer!

Oh goodness i hope so! Thank you so much for your help!
Is it worth being so jealous of everyone elses freshers and uni life?
Oh goodness i hope so! Thank you so much for your help!
Is it worth being so jealous of everyone elses freshers and uni life?

I wouldn't worry about it tbh, you'll go to Uni eventually anyway.

I know you say the Unis you have offers from are places you don't want to go, but how do they compare to Oxbridge? You sound like a very able student so it's possible they'll be from LSE, Durham, UCL etc - in which case you might want to consider just accepting them rather than taking a chance at Oxbridge.

On the other hand, if your offers are from the likes of London Met & friends, you're selling yourself short and should definitely go for higher tier Unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending