The Student Room Group

Should I travel alone?

I'm a girl and I want to do a gap year and travel.
However, I do not have anyone to travel with and I'm not sure how safe it would be to do this.
I want to travel to Asia then to New Zealand and/or Australia.

Any advice?
Original post by khillz18
I'm a girl and I want to do a gap year and travel.
However, I do not have anyone to travel with and I'm not sure how safe it would be to do this.
I want to travel to Asia then to New Zealand and/or Australia.

Any advice?

Do your research. Then you will know which places to avoid as a tourist.
I heard Cologne's nice this time of year.
Reply 4
Definitely go travelling.

It will be the best thing you have ever done I swear.
Reply 5
I'm just worried that I wont make friends and I'd just be alone for the whole thing as none of my friends want to go with me
I'm just worried that I wont make friends and I'd just be alone for the whole thing as none of my friends want to go with me

It's a gap year so you may be spending a sizeable amount of time in one place to do work or volunteer, with the travelling only lasting about a month. Thus you need also to research on visas for where you're going to stay. You could make new friends in wherever you're working at during the gap year, and they might be willing to travel :smile:

You'll find other gap year/hostel people when you're travelling so it'll be fine. Gap years take some degree of independence. If you're desperate to be around people then you'll find other likeminded people.
Yes, there is no problem in travelling alone

Do it! Stay at a hostel! If you stay at an hostel, you will be staying there for a very cheap price with other like minded people. You will make so many like minded people who want to travel the world.

Make sure you stay at a popular hostel, do it.
Solo travelling is a terrifying concept, but that's also what makes it so blooming great! Just do it, you won't regret it. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I am a traveler but I have travel buddies. I would like also someday to travel alone. I have read that you should at least try travelling alone. It can be a good experience but I still don't have the guts. Maybe someday. And yeah researching really helps.
In my oppinion, you should travel with friends because if you are younger and girl travelling out of your country alone, perhaps having some dangerous like lost way or duper or tuots, etc. However, if you still wanna travel DIY, my advice is Southest Asia which is safe and cheap place to travel.
I travelled alone in the US. Loved it. The difference between me and you though is that I wanted to be alone. I didn't want to make friends out there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest