The Student Room Group

Geography work experience?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yemil
Hey all.

Basically, want to study geography, but I want to get some kind of relevant experience in the area to write about in my personal statement. I guess work experience isn't really applicable since it's not really a vocational subject, but what sort of things did you guys all write about? Or was it all mostly places you'd visited for fieldwork? I'll be doing a field trip and a visit abroad before the time, so I can write about that, but I was unsure of what else might be helpful for my application.

Any help much appreciated. Cheers.

Hello!
It's great you're starting to think about relevant experience to put on your application! Volunteering is a great way to get experience in the relevant subject area, I did some volunteering with the National Trust in the summer between my first and second year which I found very exciting and I can put it on my CV. Whilst work experience is great to put on your personal statement, don't stress yourself out trying to find some, you can also write an amazing personal statement talking about books you'e read on the subject and relevant MOOCs you've done or just writing about your passion for geography. The university recognise it isn't always possible to get work experience which is why we are very flexible with personal statements and will look at your grades first before reading your personal statement. This being said, it is still important to put anything relevant in your personal statement such as why you think the A Levels you are doing will help you do a geography degree and even things you do outside of school that aid you in being the confident lovely person you are!

Thanks, Lucy (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 21
Original post by yemil
Hey all.

Basically, want to study geography, but I want to get some kind of relevant experience in the area to write about in my personal statement. I guess work experience isn't really applicable since it's not really a vocational subject, but what sort of things did you guys all write about? Or was it all mostly places you'd visited for fieldwork? I'll be doing a field trip and a visit abroad before the time, so I can write about that, but I was unsure of what else might be helpful for my application.

Any help much appreciated. Cheers.

literally do any work experience with any firm, and relate how sustainability is needed within firms more sustainable economy ect, u can also talk abt sustainable consulting

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending