The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Entrance Exam Help,,

Hi, my entrance exams for HWSF is this Saturday and I'm literally ****ting myself lol...

Im doing English Lit and History and the questions online are so ****ing vague like how do I even approach them?,,, ANY HELP is appreciated
Reply 1
I'm doing English lit to for tomorrow too and what I've done to prepare is just go through several more difficult poems (for me) and I've done analyses of them based on the question. I think that the point of the questions being vague is so you can get away with writing about what ever you want, it'll also help if you show your skills through your writing. I don't know much about English lit tomorrow but I've heard from a few people that, supposedly, the lit exam will have some a level stuff....but you should probably take that with a pinch of salt.

The poems I've analysed have been from Shakespeare, John Donne and some other more traditional poets, but don't forget to study some more contemporary work too. If anything, go back to basics in the lit exam and focus on a minimum of 3 key points and just analyse the hell out the them, like the use of the metaphor and crap, you get my point, right?

I've looked at the History paper and again you've been given a lot of freedom to write about what you know, so what I'd say is pretend that you're in your usual GCSE class writing an essay on anything you know (depending on the history topics you've done, mine are Protest, Germany and Medicine), like Galen's influence on history or something and then treat it like a complete 16 mark essay on it and that way you'll be able to give yourself some sort of structure to write about e.g. intro, 3 mains points conclusion.

I hope this helps and good luck!
How did you find English? I thought it was hard.
Reply 3
Any one sat biology and philosophy ?
Original post by Sas99
Any one sat biology and philosophy ?

I sat philosophy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by erodedsoul
I sat philosophy

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you find it?
Original post by Sas99
How did you find it?

Not too bad- much better than English

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by erodedsoul
not too bad- much better than english

posted from tsr mobile

did u get an interview?
Original post by hz_mia
I'm doing English lit to for tomorrow too and what I've done to prepare is just go through several more difficult poems (for me) and I've done analyses of them based on the question. I think that the point of the questions being vague is so you can get away with writing about what ever you want, it'll also help if you show your skills through your writing. I don't know much about English lit tomorrow but I've heard from a few people that, supposedly, the lit exam will have some a level stuff....but you should probably take that with a pinch of salt.

The poems I've analysed have been from Shakespeare, John Donne and some other more traditional poets, but don't forget to study some more contemporary work too. If anything, go back to basics in the lit exam and focus on a minimum of 3 key points and just analyse the hell out the them, like the use of the metaphor and crap, you get my point, right?

I've looked at the History paper and again you've been given a lot of freedom to write about what you know, so what I'd say is pretend that you're in your usual GCSE class writing an essay on anything you know (depending on the history topics you've done, mine are Protest, Germany and Medicine), like Galen's influence on history or something and then treat it like a complete 16 mark essay on it and that way you'll be able to give yourself some sort of structure to write about e.g. intro, 3 mains points conclusion.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Aw thank u so much rlly upset that Im onlyy seeing this now as Im sure if I did I wouldnt of struggled as much as I did in the exam, maybe we saw eachother there, what did u look like? Did u get an interview
Reply 9
Original post by docmartensgirl
Aw thank u so much rlly upset that Im onlyy seeing this now as Im sure if I did I wouldnt of struggled as much as I did in the exam, maybe we saw eachother there, what did u look like? Did u get an interview

Ah it's ok, at least you got to do the exam and get a feel for it! I did actually get an interview although it definitely wasn't because of my english exam... of all the poets to revise... but anyway, I was just in a sex pistols shirt so if you saw me then hey...from then?

How did the exams go for you?

Quick Reply

Latest