The Student Room Group

C34 January 2016 IAL Model Answers (Edexcel)

Hi,
these are my model answers to the C34 January 2016 IAL paper for edexcel.
I have done these fairly quickly so let me know if there are silly mistakes.

Fairly simple paper.

Q1-3: standard
Q4: A lot of people would have got 4(b) wrong
Q5-7: standard.
Q8: 8(b) was tedious, integration by parts twice can be easy to lose track in exam conditions
Q9-13: standard

EDIT: Official C34 mark scheme attached
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I made some really silly mistakes as in Q.13 ( last part) I answered it as root k and in also Q.4 b I got (1/9)^3 as the sf . In the differentiation questions, I did 1/Dt/dT so I don't know if it's right or wrong, also some other pretty silly mistakes

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by kprime2
Hi,

Fairly simple paper.

Q8: 8(b) was tedious, integration by parts twice can be easy to lose track in exam conditions

I agree with all of your answers, I made a small slip up in Q3 and forgot to bring the coefficient of the logarithmic term into the logarithm using power rules. Stupid me.

Q5, minor pedantic quibble. x(1,2)x \in (1, 2) doesn't really make sense unless you specify that xx is a root, otherwise it seems like you're saying the domain of ff is (1,2)(1,2) - you should say ff has a root α(1,2)\alpha \in (1,2) but nobody would lose any marks for writing what you have, of course.
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken
I agree with all of your answers, I made a small slip up in Q3 and forgot to bring the coefficient of the logarithmic term into the logarithm using power rules. Stupid me.

Q5, minor pedantic quibble. x(1,2)x \in (1, 2) doesn't really make sense unless you specify that xx is a root, otherwise it seems like you're saying the domain of ff is (1,2)(1,2) - you should say ff has a root α(1,2)\alpha \in (1,2) but nobody would lose any marks for writing what you have, of course.

haha I did these answers past midnight around 1am so yea, x has a root alpha in (1,2) is more mathematically accurate.
Reply 4
Original post by kprime2
haha I did these answers past midnight around 1am so yea, x has a root alpha in (1,2) is more mathematically accurate.

Yeah, but nobody really cares at A-Level, anyway, thank you for these! How do you even have time to do all this when you're at uni?! :tongue:
Original post by Zacken

Agreed
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, but nobody really cares at A-Level, anyway, thank you for these! How do you even have time to do all this when you're at uni?! :tongue:

I guess it's just a hobby. I did my A levels last year so I always find it interesting looking at recent exam papers, since they're usually more harder, especially the IAL ones. The papers don't really take that long to do. It's mainly the scanning, compressing and uploading etc that takes time. I've sat my January exam out of the way so I have a bit more time in hand lol
Reply 7
Original post by kprime2
The papers don't really take that long to do. It's mainly the scanning, compressing and uploading etc that takes time. I've sat my January exam out of the way so I have a bit more time in hand lol

Ah, okay! By the way, quick tip. You can scan in your PDF's and then use this: http://www.splitpdf.com/ to split them up into any section of pages as you want. Download them uncompressed as a zip file, unzip them and then just bulk upload them onto TSR, that'll make sure you don't go over the file size limit.

Might even just be easier to set up a cloud account somewhere, maybe google drive or dropbox and just upload your PDF's there then link it here. The google drive approach actually sounds fairly workable, consider that. It's a breeze to use and it's what all the others do, physicsmathstutor, etc...

Original post by C0pper
Agreed

Love you too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
Ah, okay! By the way, quick tip. You can scan in your PDF's and then use this: http://www.splitpdf.com/ to split them up into any section of pages as you want. Download them uncompressed as a zip file, unzip them and then just bulk upload them onto TSR, that'll make sure you don't go over the file size limit.

Can I use that to put multiple PDFs into one file? I usually have PDF scans but it takes ages to put them all on one file so I have to paste them on word then save the word file as one single PDF which is just tedious.
Reply 9
Original post by kprime2
Can I use that to put multiple PDFs into one file? I usually have PDF scans but it takes ages to put them all on one file so I have to paste them on word then save the word file as one single PDF which is just tedious.

This is a fantastic site for all your PDF tools, compression, merging, conversion, I use it all the time: http://smallpdf.com/merge-pdf
Reply 10
thank you for that
Reply 11
When is the S1 and S2 exam ?
Original post by Danllo
When is the S1 and S2 exam ?

S1 is on the 27th, I don't know when is the S2 though

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Can anyone guess raw mark boundary of A* in C34?

I am also wondering whether (e^(-x/2+c))(x^3)/(3x-2)^2 is correct or not in 9(d) as the answer is (Ae^-x/2)(x^3)/(3x-2)^2

Thank you in advance!
Original post by baekintouch

I am also wondering whether (e^(-x/2+c))(x^3)/(3x-2)^2 is correct or not in 9(d) as the answer is (Ae^-x/2)(x^3)/(3x-2)^2

Thank you in advance!

I have put it as you did, hopefully it's right because I don't recall if they asked to show it using A constant, if we're wrong then we'll lose maximum 2 marks

Hopefully the raw mark for an A* would be lower than 110 but my guess it's 112 but HOPE NOT
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by PlayerBB
I have put it as you did, hopefully it's right because I don't recall if they asked to show it using A constant, if we're wrong then we'll lose maximum 2 marksHopefully the raw mark for an A* would be lower than 110 but my guess it's 112 but HOPE NOTPosted from TSR Mobile

Original post by baekintouch

Thank you in advance!

Hello, both these answers are correct. e^(-x/2 +c) = e^(-x/2) x e^c are the same via the power rule. Since e^c is just some constant, we can say e^c = A , it just looks neater. So your answers are also correct, I can't imagine you losing marks for that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kprime2
Hello, both these answers are correct. e^(-x/2 +c) = e^(-x/2) x e^c are the same via to the power rule. Since e^c is just some constant, we can say e^c = A , it just looks neater. So your answers are also correct, I can't imagine you losing marks for that.

Great!!
Reply 17
Thank you so much!!

Original post by kprime2
Hi,

Fairly simple paper.

im estimating i got maybe 95/125! do you think this will be enough to score a 160/200?
Reply 19
Original post by RiyaAjani
im estimating i got maybe 95/125! do you think this will be enough to score a 160/200?

Maybe a low or a scrape A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending