The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lemur14
Our teacher is a bit funny and he managed to delete all emails on it before the school had paid so they signed us all up for it. tbh I'd have probably signed up to it if it wasn't for the fact it's over a meeting I really shouldn't miss and now I have to :frown: Our teacher would have completely forgotten if it wasn't for the fact we did a revision session with set 2 and one of them reminded him (set 2 chose to do it to get out of lessons).
Last year I got 2nd best in the school despite being the lowest year group doing it (and the top person was a year 9 too). 5 got into the next round (4 boys and 1 girl- 2 from year 9 and 3 from year 10). tbf the year 11s deliberately flunked it as it was over their last English coursework lesson and the teacher said they had to turn up so they turned up and had an hour sleeping or drawing lol. Our teacher said that as long as we solved one question we could sleep for the rest (he thinks it's a waste of time :s-smilie:)

I would rather not do Maths Challenge. I have other tests to revise for and Maths Challenge at this time is just not very convenient for me. I do like that I get to miss a bit of French but I still don't like it. I might have a go at the revision sheet tonight and if I give up then I might just go do something else instead lol.

I agree, it is a waste of time. I know you can put it on your CV and such but it isn't really that big of a deal, as long as I get good grades at GCSE and focus on what's important - then this little challenge means nothing to me. It would have also been appropriate to do it at the end of the year after our mock exam week, since after that there's not really a lot of work to do. :sigh:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MrMackyTv
I would rather not do Maths Challenge. I have other tests to revise for and Maths Challenge at this time is just not very convenient for me. I do like that I get to miss a bit of French but I still don't like it. I might have a go at the revision sheet tonight and if I give up then I might just go do something else instead lol.

I agree, it is a waste of time. I know you can put it on your CV and such but it isn't really that big of a deal, as long as I get good grades at GCSE and focus on what's important - then this little challenge means nothing to me. It would have also been appropriate to do it at the end of the year after our mock exam week, since after that there's not really a lot of work to do. :sigh:

Tbf it's not the school's choice when it happens - it always happens on this thursday. I really wouldn't bother with any revision. Its much mkre problem solving than anything that you can revise for. I'm happy that i get to miss biology but i would anyway because of this meeting and the maths challenge will pribably overrun into ECDL which I love so really don't want to miss
Update 05/02/16

This week has been a bit busy:

Monday we did a Human Geography test which I guess was okay.

We also did a Physical Geography test on Thursday which I thought was okay. He got us to PA most of the questions except the last 8 mark question, sounds a bit lazy for a teacher... he kinda is. I got 14/17 when we did PA. The issue I have with the whole test and the way how he marks it is that the marks scheme isn't very specific, meaning that he has his own sort of interpretation of it. I PA'd a paper, one of the questions my peer answered didn't directly answer the question but yet still my peer got full marks, which is a bit stupid but that's how it is... He also marks it in class, he has done this before too with our exercise books in our lesson. Despite that he is a good teacher it's just he's a bit lazy and he is almost quite similar to my Chemistry teacher who tells us to PA everything in our exercise books, but he does mark our tests himself unlike my Geography teacher. Also the grade boundaries are quite low, 85% (something around that number) is an A*, it's fixed so these grade boundaries don't change. Most subjects use standard grade boundaries or make their own grade boundaries depending on how well we did.

Thursday we had our vaccinations and Maths Challenge on the same day. Both of my arms that were injected are aching and are very tense but it's not as bad as it was this morning. Maths Challenge was really hard, I only did 16 questions out of 25 - it would be nice if I get bronze but I don't think I got anything unfortunately, that's okay I tried.

Today we still haven't got back our test results for Chemistry. My French teacher was being really horrible today - all we did is worksheets, reading and vocab. Everyone messed around and apparently talked a lot so there was a lot of shouting at the class from her...

Yeah... apart from that this week wasn't too bad I guess. I have that Maths test to revise for next week Tuesday. I am going to miss next week Friday as I will be back down to London again to go to a funeral :frown: sad times... but I will miss double French, Games (PE) and Chemistry which is alright.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
Update 05/02/16

This week has been a bit busy:

Monday we did a Human Geography test which I guess was okay.

We also did a Physical Geography test on Thursday which I thought was okay. He got us to PA most of the questions except the last 8 mark question, sounds a bit lazy for a teacher... he kinda is. I got 14/17 when we did PA. The issue I have with the whole test and the way how he marks it is that the marks scheme isn't very specific, meaning that he has his own sort of interpretation of it. I PA'd a paper, one of the questions my peer answered didn't directly answer the question but yet still my peer got full marks, which is a bit stupid but that's how it is... He also marks it in class, he has done this before too with our exercise books in our lesson. Despite that he is a good teacher it's just he's a bit lazy and he is almost quite similar to my Chemistry teacher who tells us to PA everything in our exercise books, but he does mark our tests himself unlike my Geography teacher. Also the grade boundaries are quite low, 85% (something around that number) is an A*, it's fixed so these grade boundaries don't change. Most subjects use standard grade boundaries or make their own grade boundaries depending on how well we did.

Thursday we had our vaccinations and Maths Challenge on the same day. Both of my arms that were injected are aching and are very tense but it's not as bad as it was this morning. Maths Challenge was really hard, I only did 16 questions out of 25 - it would be nice if I get bronze but I don't think I got anything unfortunately, that's okay I tried.

Today we still haven't got back our test results for Chemistry. My French teacher was being really horrible today - all we did is worksheets, reading and vocab. Everyone messed around and apparently talked a lot so there was a lot of shouting at the class from her...

Yeah... apart from that this week wasn't too bad I guess. I have that Maths test to revise for next week Tuesday. I am going to miss next week Friday as I will be back down to London again to go to a funeral :frown: sad times... but I will miss double French, Games (PE) and Chemistry which is alright.

I remember getting vaccinations back in Year 9 for MMR etc, my arms was aching and I feel for you. I got a B in Physics but missed out on an A* as I missed out 21 marks as I either got the answer wrong or was specific enough.
Original post by JTran38
I remember getting vaccinations back in Year 9 for MMR etc, my arms was aching and I feel for you. I got a B in Physics but missed out on an A* as I missed out 21 marks as I either got the answer wrong or was specific enough.

They still feel a bit tense but they are getting better now which is good. I hate it when I miss out on marks because of that.
Reply 25
They still feel a bit tense but they are getting better now which is good. I hate it when I miss out on marks because of that.

Lool same here!
Update 08/02/16

This week is set to be quite a busy week for me right now:

For Human Geography I got 17/21 which is very good.

Tuesday we have IT :frown: I also have the Maths test tomorrow which I have revised for, I do hope I get the best result I can get.

On Wednesday it's Enrichment Day so no lessons and it means messing around the whole day :tongue:

Thursday I am going to be heading down to London, so on Friday it means I don't go to school = miss Chemistry = (potentially) miss getting results from test. My friend said he will tell me and make sure he hasn't marked my paper wrong.

I am trying to get a placement at a web designing company for work experience, so far I only got rejected once, one said they will call me back if I don't get a call or email tomorrow from them then I'm going to try different agencies. There's one I especially have my eye on if I don't get informed back. This agency has junior web developers/designers that I can apply for to do some client work which could set me up in a career of web developing/designing :biggrin:

Update 12/02/16

This week wasn't too bad:

Monday went quite fast, we did some revision for RS.

Tuesday wasn't good, we had IT and the lesson was bad as usual.

Wednesday we had enrichment day so we had no lessons on that day. We had guest visitors speaking to us the whole day, it was a bit interesting, some sessions were quite boring but better than having lessons.

Thursday went quite quick too. I ended up getting an A in Geography for the Living World topic and I got B in Chemistry apparently. I also got a grade 9 in Maths (88% - 30/34) which I am absolutely happy about, I lost 2 marks because of accuracy and 2 marks for silly mistakes and forgetting how to workout things, otherwise, I would have got 100% without a doubt - that's how easy it was (lol say it now, sound a bit cocky tbh xD).

Friday, no school because I am in London :smile:

All I got to do over half-term is to revise for RS and History exams and do homework :biggrin:

EDIT: I forgot about work experience(!), I will try to call I different agency tomorrow. I only got this week, next week, and week after that up till Friday to get the form in or I have to go to school that day...
(edited 8 years ago)
Update 18/02/16

Hey everyone! I'm back at home now so time to get stuck in and revising. I haven't done much revision yet but I have a plan for what I have left of half-term. I am going to make a little timetable soon for History revision and RS revision. I think I will do one session lasting for 50 mins of RS revision and one and a half of a session lasting for 75 mins of History revision, not including the past paper that I will do which I do not yet know about how long it will take to complete. For those of you who don't know how my revision routine goes here it is, you can use it if you want to:

I use the Pomodoro technique to get my work done effectively, I recommend this if you have a short concentration period, this is made for you.

I usually say that 50 mins = one session, which means that 2 sessions will be 100 mins and so on. After 25 mins has gone in one session I have a 5 minute break, it will repeat if I have more than one session joined together and on the 4th break I get a long break, you can choose whatever time you want I usually go for 10-15 mins depending on how much content I need to learn.

At the end of the year for the end of year examinations I would use the TSR tools to make a timetable but for now I don't think that will work because it is in the middle of the year so I have created a timetable on excel.

I need to revise for:

Religious Studies - Religion and the elderly topic: Read exercise book, complete the mindmap, maybe make some flashcards.Just be creative!

History - Origins of WWII and Hitler's Foreign Policy: Again read exercise book, do some highlighting on class notes, mindmaps, flashcards if needed to remember keywords or figures, do some online games if there is more time left, after you have done the session and a half get started with the past paper.

Now there's this new thing that I'm introducing to the blog, this thing, I'm not going to call a target grade I am going to call it objective grade. This is completely different from targets. A target grade is the minimum grade you're expected to get, a objective grade is something that you think you can get (not your teachers, friends etc), this could be higher (hopefully not lower!) than your target grade. I made this so that this pushes me to work harder than it would if it were a target grade, especially if you got a low target grade like for me, a B in IT (which isn't that hard to get), if I take an objective grade A, it means I have to work that little bit harder.

Objective Grades:

Religious Studies - I think for the topic we are doing which requires a lot of knowledge in quotes and non-religious facts I think I could get an A pretty easily. So the objective grade is an A.

History - This topic is going to be hard, there's a lot of figures you need to know about and a lot of content to distil but if I just memorise important facts and know how to answer exam questions on this topic then, I think I could definitely get an A. So the objective grade is an A.

Hopefully this way of thinking about achieving a grade means I can get a higher grade in my subjects. Tell me if you guys like this!

If you want to see what my revision plan is for this week then please check the attached document and if you want to use it as a base of a template you can! :smile:

I'm going to also try uploading more images of revision too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Update 18/02/16

Hey everyone! I'm back at home now so time to get stuck in and revising. I haven't done much revision yet but I have a plan for what I have left of half-term. I am going to make a little timetable soon for History revision and RS revision. I think I will do one session lasting for 50 mins of RS revision and one and a half of a session lasting for 75 mins of History revision, not including the past paper that I will do which I do not yet know about how long it will take to complete. For those of you who don't know how my revision routine goes here it is, you can use it if you want to:

I use the Pomodoro technique to get my work done effectively, I recommend this if you have a short concentration period, this is made for you.

I usually say that 50 mins = one session, which means that 2 sessions will be 100 mins and so on. After 25 mins has gone in one session I have a 5 minute break, it will repeat if I have more than one session joined together and on the 4th break I get a long break, you can choose whatever time you want I usually go for 10-15 mins depending on how much content I need to learn.

At the end of the year for the end of year examinations I would use the TSR tools to make a timetable but for now I don't think that will work because it is in the middle of the year so I have created a timetable on excel.

I need to revise for:

Religious Studies - Religion and the elderly topic: Read exercise book, complete the mindmap, maybe make some flashcards.Just be creative!

History - Origins of WWII and Hitler's Foreign Policy: Again read exercise book, do some highlighting on class notes, mindmaps, flashcards if needed to remember keywords or figures, do some online games if there is more time left, after you have done the session and a half get started with the past paper.

Now there's this new thing that I'm introducing to the blog, this thing, I'm not going to call a target grade I am going to call it objective grade. This is completely different from targets. A target grade is the minimum grade you're expected to get, a objective grade is something that you think you can get (not your teachers, friends etc), this could be higher (hopefully not lower!) than your target grade. I made this so that this pushes me to work harder than it would if it were a target grade, especially if you got a low target grade like for me, a B in IT (which isn't that hard to get), if I take an objective grade A, it means I have to work that little bit harder.

Objective Grades:

Religious Studies - I think for the topic we are doing which requires a lot of knowledge in quotes and non-religious facts I think I could get an A pretty easily. So the objective grade is an A.

History - This topic is going to be hard, there's a lot of figures you need to know about and a lot of content to distil but if I just memorise important facts and know how to answer exam questions on this topic then, I think I could definitely get an A. So the objective grade is an A.

Hopefully this way of thinking about achieving a grade means I can get a higher grade in my subjects. Tell me if you guys like this!

If you want to see what my revision plan is for this week then please check the attached document and if you want to use it as a base of a template you can! :smile:

I'm going to also try uploading more images of revision too.

Looks good :smile:
I have done both those topics so if you need any help, just send me a pm. There's my history notes on my GYGs thread on the first page (it's section 3 - attachment 2) and I have a copy of our school's revision pack for RE if you'd like a look :smile:
I like the idea of an objective grade. I don't think it would work for me partly because unless it's a subject where they make a big deal of your target grade I would have to look it up so I don't really feel the need for one and also partly because I don't really get motivated by grades (which is a bit weird but oh well)
I also find that revision timetables don't help me- I just have a list of things to do and do whichever one takes my fancy or needs doing earliest but it's good that you have found a method of working out what you must do when :smile:
Good luck with your revision :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
Looks good :smile:
I have done both those topics so if you need any help, just send me a pm. There's my history notes on my GYGs thread on the first page (it's section 3 - attachment 2) and I have a copy of our school's revision pack for RE if you'd like a look :smile:
I like the idea of an objective grade. I don't think it would work for me partly because unless it's a subject where they make a big deal of your target grade I would have to look it up so I don't really feel the need for one and also partly because I don't really get motivated by grades (which is a bit weird but oh well)
I also find that revision timetables don't help me- I just have a list of things to do and do whichever one takes my fancy or needs doing earliest but it's good that you have found a method of working out what you must do when :smile:
Good luck with your revision :smile:

I will have a look at your history notes for that topic then thanks. I already got links from my RS teacher so it's okay, I find the subject fairly easy anyways.

Technically, objective and target grades are the same thing, it's just I made it up. It is suppose to make me aim higher than I have been set to. It should give me some sort of motivation because it tells me that if I just use the right techniques and revise effectively, there's no doubt I can't get what I know I can achieve.

Revision timetables help me as long as I don't over do it. I use to just do whatever work whenever but that landed me in a lot of stress because.

1) This made me get inconsistent with work, I would only do work on one day then on the other.
2) My priorities aren't set straight so O end up doing the most important stuff last minute, leading to less effort in my work.
(edited 8 years ago)
Update 21/02/16
Half-term is officially over! Just a overview what I have done this week:

I have completed my RS revision.

I have made a mindmap to help me when I go to school tomorrow.

20160221_220945.jpg

I have made flashcards for History and highlighted my book to help me absorb info. I am going to quicky do the specimen paper and mark it and go to bed :smile: (I just noticed I lost the flashcards! I'm going to have to do them again if I don't find them :frown:

I have done nearly all my homework. I just got some Radiation homework for Physics to do.I will do a little plan for the week ahead tomorrow and hopefully I will tell you how good I did in the tests. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I found the History flashcards!!! The world won't end for me now :tongue:
Update 22/02/16

Back to school again after half-term. Everyone's happy and ready to go back to school as usual on TSR (we all know you aren't :tongue:)!
It's another busy week ahead for me, I have a few things to say before I go over the plan:

The RS test wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I think the least I can get is a B which is not too bad based on the difficulty of the test and my target grade being a C, which isn't that hard to achieve for me.

We have an English test this week Thursday (I gotta tell ya, I love surprises like this :smile:).

Still haven't done the specimen paper for History so I'm going to do that today.

I also haven't finished off my Physics homework. I'll see what I can do and if I find it hard I can leave it.

What's the Plan Stan?(I hope you like the fishy heading :smile:)

Going to do that specimen paper for History tonight and try to remember as much facts as I can.

Get the Radiation homework for Physics done!

At one point during the week before Thursday I have got to find some time to remember as much quotes as I can for the upcoming test on Jekyll and Hyde, unfortunately because it was so last minute, that is not my priority right now and we should have been told that (and it should have been on SMHW) the test will be the first Thursday back... what a shame :frown:

Get my room sorted out at some stage during this week.

I also need to get back into reading at least 30 mins a day.

Haven't got a call back from the agencies, so I'm not going to risk it with that end anymore and just go for an animal shelter like one of my friends did, they are more likely to accept work experience kids.

(Oh no, I have IT tomorrow :cry:)

That's it for the week. Any questions about revision? Time management? Or anything else, please feel free! :biggrin:
Update 26/02/2016

This week has been tough for me. On Wednesday I had this pain in my chest everytime I coughed. Then on Thursday it got worse and today I couldn't get out of my bed, headaches, head boiling in temperature and dehydration. I thought a cold glass of juice would help but it didn't and I ended up going to A & E :frown: But it's okay! I just had an inflammed throat and my athsma kicked in after that so I'm fine. :smile: Apart from that...

I had the RS test on Monday. I think it was alright but some questions I didn't get so I'm not quite sure what I got, so I can't really predict.

Wednesday we had the History test. I didn't find it that challenging but lets see if I done well and actually wrote more explanations than I did the last time!

And of course today I wasn't at school, I will have to ask for catchup work for French because apparently we need to re-do the whole course because she's been teaching us the wrong stuff and our CA's are only two weeks away.

However, I phoned up 2 accountancy companies and 1 market researching company. The 2 accountancy companies said they will call me back and one said that I can send an email with a CV and all the rest!!!! :biggrin: Finally! I called up three just in case 1 or 2 rejects me. If I have to choose over one in the end I actually might go for the market researching company (assuming that it is that one and the accountancy company) because I've never thought of myself doing that before so it would be nice to see what it's like. The job looks quite interesting anyway so I am excited (hopefully I get the whole week off! :tongue:)

I got my 2nd progress report with me, I will include the image in here so you can have a look at it. I think it's all good it's just History that is bad. French is a C because we haven't done any sort of decisive test, so she just give out grades she feels like giving (don't ask why cus I dunno lol).

Capture.PNG
Update 01/03/2016

Oops... I forgot to do the blog yesterday! This week isn't as busy but I am expecting some results this week:

I am expect RS (I didn't get it) and English (I also didn't get it).

I am expecting History results tomorrow which I am quite nervous about. I hope I at least got an A because there is a lot more content to remember in these sort of topics (Hitler's foreign policy and origins of WWII) and you got to get it in the right order and not mix up events.

Parents evening is this week Thursday (yay....nuuuu :frown:) so everyone is just chilling a bit. No one wants teachers to mention parents! It should be fine though, I don't have any sort of problems with any of the teachers I booked appointments with and I'm sure they all have good things to say about me.

I emailed my CV and I haven't got an email back from the woman from the marketing research company (shame because I really wanted to do that) and one accountancy firm called me and when I told them my work experience was in May they couldn't do it because it was too busy. The other accountancy firm hasn't called me back yet. So I'm going to wait until tomorrow, then if I don't get a call by 4:00 I will be calling them back to ask (especially the marketing research company) why I haven't received a call back and that I need an answer before Friday. It looks as if I'm not going to get a placement which is sad. Companies are just not willing to take work experience people and this doesn't help because this would really give me a kickstart into careers and would give me an advantage. Now if I'm up against someone and they have the same experience as me but they did work experience they would probably get the job over me just because of that. Not everyone is given the chance :frown:

Update 04/03/2016

This week was a tough week for me. What I just went through is now over but lemme explain:

Firstly I have to say this week was fairly decent. There's not a lot to say except I got a B in History and I got a level 4 band in English which is good.

However, I found out on Thursday I was missing two questions from my controlled assessment work for French. Now lemme just say something.

1) This isn't my fauly, miss did not clarify (for homework) what questions I had to do so I assumed the others she set for homework I didn't have to do since I wasn't here on that day (I will post a screenshot).french.PNG
2) She should have known I was missing two questions if she collected in work from everyone, therefore I should have been told about this from her but I didn't.

This not only upsets me because of the above, but the fact that the writing controlled assessment is NEXT WEEK FRIDAY, meaning that she would have to mark my work over the weekend, I would have to collect on Monday and start memorising - which is really inconvenient. Even though I could have just done all the questions in the homework, nothing indicated to me that I needed to do the other two above the one she set for the absent people.

Because of her, I stayed up until midnight yesterday writing the whole controlled assessment out including the two questions I didn't do (5 in total). That really mashed me up and just ruined my confidence of getting a good grade in this. THIS IS WORTH FREAKIN 30% OF MY GCSE!!! :frown: If I mess this up it could really effect my overall grade so I need this to be good.

I also had parents evening this Thursday. It went quite well, until French (she forced me to make an appointment I didn't want to) and she moaned in front of my mom saying that I should be responsible for my work and etc....

Anyways, enough about my irresponsible French teacher! I am going to try memorising what I have over the weekend, go back on Monday for the corrected version and write it all out neatly so that I can memorise it bit by bit. Here's the plan:

Monday: memorise answers to question 1 and 2 (write it out as if it were a test from memory)
Tuesday: memorise answers to question 3 and 4 (write it out as if it were a test from memory)
Wednesday: memorise answer to question 5 and start writing the whole thing from memory. Make sure it gets into your head.
Thursday: Write out the whole thing, only with 40 words to help (not conjugated), from memory. Keep on doing it even if I write it all out perfectly. It needs to be embedded in my head!
Friday: Go in like a pro and write that thing out from memory. Use the 40 words to help you guide you way through the whole writing in order of how you wrote it.
(I can do memory beforehand at home but this is just the plan after I have collected the corrected one on Monday)

I am so nervous but I am just going to try my best. It's like my year 9 test but two times longer and more complicated vocabulary.

EDIT: forgot to include the image of the homework, it's now in the post.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 37
Update 04/03/2016

This week was a tough week for me. What I just went through is now over but lemme explain:

Firstly I have to say this week was fairly decent. There's not a lot to say except I got a B in History and I got a level 4 band in English which is good.

However, I found out on Thursday I was missing two questions from my controlled assessment work for French. Now lemme just say something.

1) This isn't my fauly, miss did not clarify (for homework) what questions I had to do so I assumed the others she set for homework I didn't have to do since I wasn't here on that day (I will post a screenshot).
2) She should have known I was missing two questions if she collected in work from everyone, therefore I should have been told about this from her but I didn't.

This not only upsets me because of the above, but the fact that the writing controlled assessment is NEXT WEEK FRIDAY, meaning that she would have to mark my work over the weekend, I would have to collect on Monday and start memorising - which is really inconvenient. Even though I could have just done all the questions in the homework, nothing indicated to me that I needed to do the other two above the one she set for the absent people.

Because of her, I stayed up until midnight yesterday writing the whole controlled assessment out including the two questions I didn't do (5 in total). That really mashed me up and just ruined my confidence of getting a good grade in this. THIS IS WORTH FREAKIN 30% OF MY GCSE!!! :frown: If I mess this up it could really effect my overall grade so I need this to be good.

I also had parents evening this Thursday. It went quite well, until French (she forced me to make an appointment I didn't want to) and she moaned in front of my mom saying that I should be responsible for my work and etc....

Anyways, enough about my irresponsible French teacher! I am going to try memorising what I have over the weekend, go back on Monday for the corrected version and write it all out neatly so that I can memorise it bit by bit. Here's the plan:

Monday: memorise answers to question 1 and 2 (write it out as if it were a test from memory)
Tuesday: memorise answers to question 3 and 4 (write it out as if it were a test from memory)
Wednesday: memorise answer to question 5 and start writing the whole thing from memory. Make sure it gets into your head.
Thursday: Write out the whole thing, only with 40 words to help (not conjugated), from memory. Keep on doing it even if I write it all out perfectly. It needs to be embedded in my head!
Friday: Go in like a pro and write that thing out from memory. Use the 40 words to help you guide you way through the whole writing in order of how you wrote it.
(I can do memory beforehand at home but this is just the plan after I have collected the corrected one on Monday)

I am so nervous but I am just going to try my best. It's like my year 9 test but two times longer and more complicated vocabulary.

If you get the opportunity to read my update on my GYG thread, then coincidentally I also had a very bad week. I also had parents evening on Wednesday regarding changes to the GCSEs and post 16 options, they've mentioned about this attainment 8 thing which has put me off and get me rather paranoid in doing well at GCSEs.

For French/Spanish at my school, we have done about 2 CAs for writing and have drafts on paper should Ms lose our CAs so that we can learn the stuff again. For Speaking we have only done 1 CA back in Year 9. My advice for you is to learn it properly and well despite the situation even if it means having very 'late nights' but do manage your time.
Original post by JTran38
If you get the opportunity to read my update on my GYG thread, then coincidentally I also had a very bad week. I also had parents evening on Wednesday regarding changes to the GCSEs and post 16 options, they've mentioned about this attainment 8 thing which has put me off and get me rather paranoid in doing well at GCSEs.

For French/Spanish at my school, we have done about 2 CAs for writing and have drafts on paper should Ms lose our CAs so that we can learn the stuff again. For Speaking we have only done 1 CA back in Year 9. My advice for you is to learn it properly and well despite the situation even if it means having very 'late nights' but do manage your time.

They didn't mention that at parents evening for me which is a bit weird. They need to mention that because I still don't know how the A-Levels are going to work for us.

Thanks for the advice! I got some peace in my mind now since you said that. I will need to obviously manage my time wisely, which means less video games and tv which I am gonna really hate but it's all for the benefit of getting a good grade. I'm not going to try to much at memorising all of it since Miss is marking mine, so Monday it will definitely have corrections. Have you got any tips on memorising, because I am not very good at memorising 500-600 words of writing :erm:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 39
They didn't mention that at parents evening for me which is a bit weird. They need to mention that because I still don't know how the A-Levels are going to work for us.

Thanks for the advice! I got some peace in my mind now since you said that. I will need to obviously manage my time wisely, which means less video games and tv which I am gonna really hate but it's all for the benefit of getting a good grade. I'm not going to try to much at memorising all of it since Miss is marking mine, so Monday it will definitely have corrections. Have you got any tips on memorising, because I am not very good at memorising 500-600 words of writing :erm:

500-600 is too much to remember and from my knowledge you don't need that much words depending on the circumstances.

In other news, I managed to start revising for my mocks despite a difficult week at school (see my GYG thread). I would also advice you to translate it to English and use that to test how much of it you know in French, might not work for you but it certainly works for me. By the way how many questions are you doing in the Writing CA as I've said above 500-600 words is a lot to remember!
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending