The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JTran38
500-600 is too much to remember and from my knowledge you don't need that much words depending on the circumstances.

In other news, I managed to start revising for my mocks despite a difficult week at school (see my GYG thread). I would also advice you to translate it to English and use that to test how much of it you know in French, might not work for you but it certainly works for me. By the way how many questions are you doing in the Writing CA as I've said above 500-600 words is a lot to remember!

My French teacher told me that if you want to get the highest grade you can get, then you must write 100-120 words per question (5 questions in total).

That's good that you have started revising. Unfortunately I cannot revise for anything because French is my priority right now. I could translate however I would need a dictionary, if that's allowed (don't think it is)? Or else then that would be horrible for me. As I said I am doing 5 questions so a minimum of 500 words all together for the whole writing. I have already remembered 1/10 of the whole writing in about 30 minutes so I think I could do it, if not I would need to think of something to write.
Reply 41
Original post by MrMackyTv
My French teacher told me that if you want to get the highest grade you can get, then you must write 100-120 words per question (5 questions in total).

That's good that you have started revising. Unfortunately I cannot revise for anything because French is my priority right now. I could translate however I would need a dictionary, if that's allowed (don't think it is)? Or else then that would be horrible for me. As I said I am doing 5 questions so a minimum of 500 words all together for the whole writing. I have already remembered 1/10 of the whole writing in about 30 minutes so I think I could do it, if not I would need to think of something to write.

Well my French teacher said I need at max 350 words from what I can remember with all the A/A* criteria met e.g a variety of tenses etc. Yes, you're allowed to use a dictionary which is useful for checking spelling errors.
Original post by JTran38
Well my French teacher said I need at max 350 words from what I can remember with all the A/A* criteria met e.g a variety of tenses etc. Yes, you're allowed to use a dictionary which is useful for checking spelling errors.

Alright then that's cool. I hopefully shouldn't have to worry to much about memorising. My french teacher is a bit weird anyways...
Reply 43
league of legends name?
Original post by chhabi
league of legends name?

TheOnly1Matthew. You ranked yet? :biggrin:
Reply 45
TheOnly1Matthew. You ranked yet? :biggrin:

diamond 4 in main but banned because of flaming so my user name is Versonance while my banned acc name is Mystgan125
Original post by chhabi
diamond 4 in main but banned because of flaming so my user name is Versonance while my banned acc name is Mystgan125

Cool! Lol you been salty ay? xD I'm not going to play for a while so I will try to come on after Friday since I have a French CA to do.
Update 07/03/16

This week is set to be another busy week for me. The next few months are going to be very busy indeed for me. Including the easter holidays.

I went to my French teacher in the morning and she didn't even start marking it so I went after school and she told me to re-do one question, I ended up re-doing two because I was unhappy about another answer to a question. She said if I improved it and it had no faults, it would probably get a B which I am happy with because this is the best I can come up with in a few days time. It sucks but that's sort of my fault and I should have to pay for that...

I had RS today and I got 14/18 which is a B so I am alright with that grade despite wanting to get an A. The reason I got a B is because I didn't really revise, and I think if I even spend half an hour revising that could get me an A since RS doesn't require a lot of revision it just requires a brief memory of quotes and reasoning.

Anyways, we had assembly today and we were told to start revising for our end of year 10 mock exams (starts at the 23rd May and end on the 27th May) which I will after Friday because the exams are going to be solid. For science, 1/3 of each test will include topics from unit 1 which means that if I don't revise that I could lose a lot of marks. Obviously the rest of the test is unit 2 which I actually find harder than unit 1 - weirdly.

I am going to create a weekly revision timetable (over the course of 10 weeks) because I need a plan or else I will forget again. Here's how many hours I plan to do per subject (question marks means that I'm not sure if that subject will have an end of year exam):

Maths - 7 hrs
English - 10 hrs
Physics - 8 hrs
Chemistry - 10 hrs
Biology - 7 hrs
French - 6 hrs (?)
History - 4 hrs (?)
Geography - 4 hrs (?)
RS: 3 hrs (?)

(edited 8 years ago)
Update 11/03/16

Okay this week wasn't that great...

I was staying up until midnight memorising my French and I think today I flopped that test. I will find out what grade she would give it, if it's a B then I will be happy but I have a feeling it's lower than that. So that's why I booked a retake on Monday the week after next week after school. I hopefully should do a lot better and not fail.

We have a Maths and Physics test in about under 2 weeks on the week after next week Wednesday. I am going to try and see if I can fit in revision for Maths and Physics but I might not be able to since I also have French to revise for. I will have to sort this all out on the timetable.

I have made the study planner for next week. This weekend I am going to be focusing mainly on French, Physics and Maths. It may change...20160311_201725[1].jpg

I will start updating daily from the 14th because it is exam season :frown: so I need to review my progress. I am going to be using a lot of past papers so I will be making some sort of spreadsheet to log that data to know where I'm at.

Plan for this weekend:

2 hrs of French
2 hrs of Physics
1 hr of Chemistry
2 hrs of Maths.

That's just about it. Hopefully I will stick to this plan (well I have to now, which means very little time to play video games) :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Update 14/03/16

Daily updates are now here! Here's the plan for the rest of today:

5PM: Chemistry

6PM: Homework + French

7PM: Homework + French

I just did Chemistry notes right now and I would have got a lot done if Word didn't **** up on me because now I had to start all the way from Chapter 3 again which sucks. That's okay though, it will be embedded in my head more. I am going to go and get on with some homework real quick and then French. I might have a bit of a chill after that but tomorrow's plan is:

5PM: Physics

6PM: Homework + French

7PM: Homework + French

So that's it! I am going to quickly gather some past paper material I will need for the exams and some time next week I will produce a spreadsheet where I can log all the data from the past papers and come up with my own sort of average. So far I've planned to do 2 past papers per science subject (may extend to 3 if I have time), 1 past paper for the whole of Maths (so that's about 3 papers), maybe I will print off either a specimen or some sort of question that might come up for English. Until I get tests confirmed from other subjects I won't be planning any sort of revision material as of yet.

We were actually suppose to get our dates for science tests from our form tutors because apparently it was left in their pigeon holes but not one of our form tutors in our year picked up any, so I'm hoping tomorrow we will get those dates for the science tests so that I can come up with a plan B if things go wrong. Plan A (for science) right now is to make notes as quick as you can, review and highlight all the content and do past papers for practice and exam practice questions if you have finished all of that. For Maths plan A is just to practice... I don't really have a plan B for Maths lol (I actually need to prioritise Maths because it's next week... I have a feeling I'm not going to do so good (be positive! argh!).

I will update you guys tomorrow on how the revision plan is going and how productive I am. Wish me luck, cya tomorrow! :smile:
Update 15/03/16

Okay so the plan today was to...

Do 1 hr of typing up Physics notes.

Do any homework set and get on with French.

I haven't really sticked to the plan, which is a shame because I was thinking I could smash all of my targets for today. I didn't get to do Physics notes because I didn't come home early and I obviously had to do chores first which took up a lot of valuable time. I only got 2 sentences for one questions I'm doing yet again. I want to get it finished for tonight so that I can hand it in tomorrow morning so she can mark it. After that I will need to memorise, which means no games or anything that will take me off task for a long time (I think I will survive until Thursday next week).

I also think it's going to be hard next week because.... I have 3 tests next week:

- French retake
- Physics P2.6 + P2.7
- Maths Chapter 10 + 20

Right now what I'm going to do is sort out revision materials for Sciences and Maths (including upcoming topic tests and mocks). After that I will get on with some French work and I hope I will finish before 11PM, if I don't then... I hope I have a goodnight lol.

In terms of how my day went... it was horrible:

Double English in the morning was a pain because yesterday I also had double English but the last two periods so it's like we had English for a whole day... timetable kinda sucks this year.

Maths wasn't too bad - I got a bit confused on approximate solutions/iterative methods. I don't think I am going to do particularly well on this test because of how hard the topics are (to me), so the ideal time to start revising is tomorrow.

History was quite boring, he just gave us a task to do so I just did it... nothing special.

IT was rubbish. We were still doing practice CAB and as soon as the lesson started she was screaming and slamming her hand on the cabinet... I had to stay behind for doing research? She said that I was wasting time when she clearly gave us permission to do research in class and that I should of done it "at home"... wasn't on SMHW therefore I am not accountable for that :smile: lol

Yeah, that's today in a nutshell. Oh and also, the Year 7s are really getting on my nerves, sorry but they are just too loud and get in others way. I dunno, there's something about these Year 7s this year lol.
Reply 51
Update 15/03/16

I haven't really sticked to the plan, which is a shame because I was thinking I could smash all of my targets for today. I didn't get to do Physics notes because I didn't come home early and I obviously had to do chores first which took up a lot of valuable time. I only got 2 sentences for one questions I'm doing yet again. I want to get it finished for tonight so that I can hand it in tomorrow morning so she can mark it. After that I will need to memorise, which means no games or anything that will take me off task for a long time (I think I will survive until Thursday next week).

I also think it's going to be hard next week because.... I have 3 tests next week:

- French retake
- Physics P2.6 + P2.7
- Maths Chapter 10 + 20

Right now what I'm going to do is sort out revision materials for Sciences and Maths (including upcoming topic tests and mocks). After that I will get on with some French work and I hope I will finish before 11PM, if I don't then... I hope I have a goodnight lol.

Double English in the morning was a pain because yesterday I also had double English but the last two periods so it's like we had English for a whole day... timetable kinda sucks this year.

Maths wasn't too bad - I got a bit confused on approximate solutions/iterative methods. I don't think I am going to do particularly well on this test because of how hard the topics are (to me), so the ideal time to start revising is tomorrow.

History was quite boring, he just gave us a task to do so I just did it... nothing special.

IT was rubbish. We were still doing practice CAB and as soon as the lesson started she was screaming and slamming her hand on the cabinet... I had to stay behind for doing research? She said that I was wasting time when she clearly gave us permission to do research in class and that I should of done it "at home"... wasn't on SMHW therefore I am not accountable for that :smile: lol

Yeah, that's today in a nutshell. Oh and also, the Year 7s are really getting on my nerves, sorry but they are just too loud and get in others way. I dunno, there's something about these Year 7s this year lol.

I got a detention set for Friday thanks to the damn English H/W I'm suspose to do although on SHMW it shows submitted so IDK what's gonna happen. I'm no where near to finishing A453 Task 1 and will need to do some of it tomorrow morning at school and plan the rest at home for Thursday. The Y7 at my school are alright, some of them a quite nice but it's the Y9s that are a pain in the neck.
Update 15/03/16

- French retake
- Physics P2.6 + P2.7
- Maths Chapter 10 + 20

Sorry you didn't have a great day! I'm really struggling to stick to my plans as well because of the deadline for the coursework this week (and yet another teacher setting homework due in on Friday).
Remember your health and wellbeing is more important than grades even if it doesn't seem that way at the moment so make sure you get plenty of sleep (even if I do wish my parents would let me work til 11pm on occasion).
Our timetable goes physics, maths (new day) maths physics chemistry which I imagine must be some people's version of a nightmare if they hate maths/science though I imagine 4 lessons of English is worse! We only get 3 hours of English a week so I've never had that much at once.
Year 7s are extremely annoying (not at all bias by the fact my sister is year 7 and loves walking to the other side of the school especially to annoy me) as they don't appreciate the work that other people are putting in (so shout between lessons when we are still working because we have a double) and they love pushing people into each other on the walkway which is extremely immature (they also walk sooo slow which is frustrating as well). One year 7 (admittedly I knew him before year 7) puts his middle finger up at me every time he walks past me which is just stupid and immature (which he is).
I think once you become upper school you forget what it was like to be lower down the school and forget that you were like that. As you get further apart from them they get more annoying. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about them:redface:
Original post by JTran38
I got a detention set for Friday thanks to the damn English H/W I'm suspose to do although on SHMW it shows submitted so IDK what's gonna happen. I'm no where near to finishing A453 Task 1 and will need to do some of it tomorrow morning at school and plan the rest at home for Thursday. The Y7 at my school are alright, some of them a quite nice but it's the Y9s that are a pain in the neck.

Year 9 boys... Just don't get me started! Most of them are over my head and think they are king of the world and the whole world revolves around them. At least the year 7s are small (and generally also listen to the teachers).
Good luck with your A453. I would try to pseudo code you a load but I have this coursework to do so I have no spare time, sorry!
Original post by JTran38

Sorry to hear about that. Stick to the plan and you should be fine :smile:

The year 9s are just as bad. They are just irritating and like to start trouble. They also think it's cool to push year 7s of their table on the table tennis courts.
Reply 55
Sorry to hear about that. Stick to the plan and you should be fine :smile:

The year 9s are just as bad. They are just irritating and like to start trouble. They also think it's cool to push year 7s of their table on the table tennis courts.

Pretty much the same at my school. I have English this morning which I'm sort of not looking forward to but it's double History that's doing my head in.
Original post by Lemur14
Sorry you didn't have a great day! I'm really struggling to stick to my plans as well because of the deadline for the coursework this week (and yet another teacher setting homework due in on Friday).
Remember your health and wellbeing is more important than grades even if it doesn't seem that way at the moment so make sure you get plenty of sleep (even if I do wish my parents would let me work til 11pm on occasion).
Our timetable goes physics, maths (new day) maths physics chemistry which I imagine must be some people's version of a nightmare if they hate maths/science though I imagine 4 lessons of English is worse! We only get 3 hours of English a week so I've never had that much at once.
Year 7s are extremely annoying (not at all bias by the fact my sister is year 7 and loves walking to the other side of the school especially to annoy me) as they don't appreciate the work that other people are putting in (so shout between lessons when we are still working because we have a double) and they love pushing people into each other on the walkway which is extremely immature (they also walk sooo slow which is frustrating as well). One year 7 (admittedly I knew him before year 7) puts his middle finger up at me every time he walks past me which is just stupid and immature (which he is).
I think once you become upper school you forget what it was like to be lower down the school and forget that you were like that. As you get further apart from them they get more annoying. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about them:redface:

Yeah it is really hard to stick to plans rigt now. I need to get more sleep so I am going to try going to bed before 11pm.

Year 7s at my school like being noisy in lessons, you can hear them singing the alphabet in French when I have French and it is distracting to say the least. They also like randomly stopping in the middle of the corridor checking their timetable - they don't yet realise that if you do that you get trampled on. They are always the first to go down when everyone is pushing each other on the stairs, it's just carnage lol. I know we use to behave like that but they are also getting brave, for example they are insulting and swearing at year 11s. When I was year 7 I didn't dare do that lol. But then again, they just joined the school so they are a bit lost and confused with life still. Gotta lov 'em!
(edited 8 years ago)
Update 16/03/16

I managed to get what I planned to do today done. Got some bad news I will tell you at the end :frown:

I managed to get some questions on kerboodle for Maths done as revision.

I now just need to photocopy some worksheets from the textbook and complete them by hand.

I did get a reply back from the employer and she said that she can take me but on the Tuesday after so I am happy about that, I am asking for a whole week though :P

I got a detention for Maths because of "defacing school property" when someone drew a penis on the desk and the year 7s snaked to the teacher.... Year 7s always gotta do something to get on my nerves. So next time I see an "inappropiate image" I will just rub it off so I don't get in trouble.... it's half an hour tomorrow anyways, I'm sure I can bare it. I can do some revising or homework, it might actually help me stay on task (trying to be positive lol).
Reply 58
Update 16/03/16

I managed to get what I planned to do today done. Got some bad news I will tell you at the end :frown:

I managed to get some questions on kerboodle for Maths done as revision.

I now just need to photocopy some worksheets from the textbook and complete them by hand.

I did get a reply back from the employer and she said that she can take me but on the Tuesday after so I am happy about that, I am asking for a whole week though :P

I got a detention for Maths because of "defacing school property" when someone drew a penis on the desk and the year 7s snaked to the teacher.... Year 7s always gotta do something to get on my nerves. So next time I see an "inappropiate image" I will just rub it off so I don't get in trouble.... it's half an hour tomorrow anyways, I'm sure I can bare it. I can do some revising or homework, it might actually help me stay on task (trying to be positive lol).

Damn that detention ...
Original post by JTran38
Damn that detention ...

Ikr, I just did the detention, it wasn't too bad I guess... I only reached home 15 minutes late so no biggie.

Latest

Trending

Trending