The Student Room Group

Maths graduate - breaking into programming?

I'm a maths graduate, and am having no luck with graduate jobs at the moment in finance. I am now looking to break into programming, and am interested in learning python (I have all the material and tutorials ready and saved). I have no prior IT or programming experience.

I just want to know how would I be received in the IT market with a maths degree from UCL and, say, having learnt 1-2 languages? I've been checking many job postings online and there are quite a few jobs for python and java programmers which don't require a degree. I am willing to work hard and toil for a job, but just need to know whether or not it's even worth it without a computer science degree?
IT is all about skills. If you have the skills, you will get the job. Having a maths degree is just a bonus.

Good luck!
Original post by Brapadoo
I'm a maths graduate, and am having no luck with graduate jobs at the moment in finance. I am now looking to break into programming, and am interested in learning python (I have all the material and tutorials ready and saved). I have no prior IT or programming experience.

I just want to know how would I be received in the IT market with a maths degree from UCL and, say, having learnt 1-2 languages? I've been checking many job postings online and there are quite a few jobs for python and java programmers which don't require a degree. I am willing to work hard and toil for a job, but just need to know whether or not it's even worth it without a computer science degree?
i would start with Java if you want to learn a language. not only is the syntax clean and simple, but it is used everywhere by both beginners and experts. i have had some technical interviews / AC's where I was given a choice of programming language, but i have also had ones where I was forced to use Java. it's not something you can learn in like 6 months though.

the next most useful language i'd say is Sequel (SQL). this is pretty easy to pick up given the huge innovation around data atm, it's pretty much used everywhere too. i have seen pro's writing query's that are like 2 pages long but for a graduate you only really need to know the basics (easy). watch this:

then do exercises from http://www.w3resource.com/sql-exercises/ and you'll be in a good position.

there are tech jobs that specifically state you don't need a background in tech, just a passion for it (they will train you up) - e.g. PwC, RBS and i'm sure there are more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending