The Student Room Group

Any thoughts on Assessment Only route?

Today I have been offered PGCE Secondary Maths at Assessment Only route. I am however going to do and SKE just to make sure Im fully up to speed with the subject content, especially with the 9 - 1. Has anybody any thoughts on this. I know you don't get a PGCE.
Reply 1
So is it a PGCE course or isn't it? You seem confused. Do you have a link to the course you've been accepted onto?

How much experience do you already have in schools? Normally the AO route is for those who already have at least 2 years' teaching experience.

I did the AO route in 2014 but you don't seem to be in the position that I was when I started or terribly aware of what it entails. Do feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply 2
Original post by Angelil
So is it a PGCE course or isn't it? You seem confused. Do you have a link to the course you've been accepted onto?

How much experience do you already have in schools? Normally the AO route is for those who already have at least 2 years' teaching experience.

I did the AO route in 2014 but you don't seem to be in the position that I was when I started or terribly aware of what it entails. Do feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

You are right on the PGCE is it or isn't it?! I originally applied for the Secondary Flexible PGCE as I currently work as a Pupil Support Manager in a secondary PRU. There are three different pathways I have worked in education for ten years and have taught but currently I'm not. I have been given the opportunity to teach by my head around the job that I currently do so I think this is what they are working around. I then have to do an additional 60 day placement and a very strong portfolio of evidence. It was only when they were summing up their offer that they advised that they would consider me for the Assessment only route but that it doesn't give me a PGCE.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Yes, that's right. Just checking that you and I were both thinking of the same thing! PGCE does not matter as much; what you will get is QTS and that is the main thing schools look for.

I also had to do an additional placement, but only 14 days as I was already teaching full-time while on the AO route. I also had to compile the portfolio, do the skills tests, and have an interview with the university who were looking to recommend me for QTS.

Be prepared to be observed very often while compiling your portfolio. You will need a 'critical friend'/mentor in school who is willing to do this for you.

For me the AO route was perfect as I could fit it in around the job easily. Do let me know if you have any more questions about it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending