The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by leostar21
If you are a permanent UK resident and apply for a fee grant for distance learning, then physically stay elsewhere in Europe.... are you acting illegally? When you apply, you are required to be resident or "in" the UK from the first day of your course. But I want to technically "be" abroad. Am I breaking a rule this way?

Hello

I would not recommend that you sign a document to say you will be resident in the UK in the knowledge that you will not.
It may be possible to be ordinarily resident in two places at the same time, so you should discuss your situation with Student finance before making your application for a fee loan.
Reply 21
Hello,I am a EU student and currently am on a second year of a three year chemistry degree. Before switching my course to chemistry, I did one year of biochemistry. Towards the end of my second year chemistry I had to suspend my studies due to mental health issues. I had my condition supported by evidence from a university's counsellor and my school accepted it. After half a year I have returned to my course and I am not sure how I should go about applying for the tuition fee finance for the remaining 2 terms of a year 2. Also, would the university counsellor's note be sufficient as an evidence for my suspension when applying to student finance?Thanks,Camille
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
For those unaware:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=21647-Postgraduate-Loans
http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/6854/sfe_pgl_qg_1617_d.pdf

I'm pretty gutted over the wishy washy eligibility section, I mean things like 'normally' and 'ordinarily', what a handy wavey thing to say.

I'm from Northern Ireland, but been living in England for the last 3 years (will be 4 by the time I graduate) for my undergrad degree. Does this count as 'normal' or 'ordinary'? It also states that EU students can also apply, what what about RUK students? Or are we getting screwed over as usual?

Hello

It is difficult to answer this as Student Finance have not published much information yet.
It is my understanding that UK nationals can apply for the Postgraduate loan to study at Masters level, as long as they have been ordinarily resident in the UK and islands for 3 years on the first day of the first academic year of their course. You can't get the loan if you have moved to England solely for the purpose of studying on the Masters course - but that doesn't sound like your situation.
Student Finance will be publishing more information soon, I understand, and applications will open in the summer.
Based on the fact that you will have been in England for 4 years, and did not move here for the sole purpose of studying on a Masters, I would feel hopeful about your chances of borrowing the loan, but would advise you to check further as more information is published.
Original post by tyla0
Hello,I am a EU student and currently am on a second year of a three year chemistry degree. Before switching my course to chemistry, I did one year of biochemistry. Towards the end of my second year chemistry I had to suspend my studies due to mental health issues. I had my condition supported by evidence from a university's counsellor and my school accepted it. After half a year I have returned to my course and I am not sure how I should go about applying for the tuition fee finance for the remaining 2 terms of a year 2. Also, would the university counsellor's note be sufficient as an evidence for my suspension when applying to student finance?Thanks,Camille

Hello

You can ask for an additional year of funding due to having had to intermit from your course due to 'Compelling Personal Reasons' and should send your evidence with a covering letter to Student Finance EU team, including your customer reference number. They may or may not accept the counsellors letter as evidence - they often prefer independent evidence, and it might be easier for them to accept a letter from your doctor to say that you were too unwell to complete your studies in the year when you intermitted.
Reply 24
The forum is now closed. A big thanks to Nicolette for taking the time to answer all the questions. And thanks to all of those who got involved.

There's plenty more going on the rest of the week - check our calendar for more details http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...ent-Money-Week

Latest

Trending

Trending