The Student Room Group

Are you eligible for student finance?

Do you qualify for student finance? Join our live webchat to find out more.

Margaret has worked for the Student Loans Company for six years and has experience in Customer Services and assessing. Her main role is supporting the customer advisors in providing excellent customer service. This includes dealing with calls that escalate further, to ensure we provide a successful outcome when things have not gone as planned.

Lisa has worked for the Student Loans Company for two years, and deals with a number of different customer types. She provides a high level of customer service with the aim of finding a successful outcome for the customer.

Nicole has two years' experience at the Student Loans Company, dealing with a number of different customer types and queries. She prides herself on her high level of customer service.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I started university in January 2016 and I haven't received any funding as of now. I sent all the information to support my application on the 13th of January 2016. They sent me a text message after saying that it would take 20 working days to process the information. It is now the 10th of February and I find out that they have cancelled my previous application I created for 2015/16 today so I am a bit worried. What should I do?
Hi,

My name is Josh and I'll explain my situation.

I've been to university before for two years before dropping out (but this isn't relevant as I managed to appeal my student finance for another three-year course), but I'm not a first year again at another university in my hometown (Brighton).

Before I started the course in October, my maintenace loan and grant was given as £7197.40 - after looking at this figure, I decided to move out with two friends (one student, and one full-time worker) as I was able to work out that I could afford rent and utilities bills with my loan (£7197.40 / 12 = 599.78), and the flat we moved into costs me £476.66 a month, plus bills), so I have been working 20 hours a week in Tesco to cover my living cost which was absolutely fine.

As I knew I was getting £7197.40 each academic year, I moved out permanently so my new address is not a term-time address, but a permanent living address.

My old bedroom no longer exists, and I don't have the option of moving home (I'm 22 years-old anyway, so I was ready to move out permanently).

Anyway, this is what happened yesterday:

Since late November, my dad (who was previously retired), was given a great contracting opportunity and took it - in January, Student Finance asked for a reassessment so my dad was honest and put in his new salary.

I have just received a letter yesterday telling me that I will no longer receive a grant, and that my maintenance loan will be cut to £4805.40 (when previously it was around £1000 higher). This leaves me with £400.45 per month if I divided this equally throughout the year, but then I'll also be living here permanently through the summer months and it barely even touches my rent including bills.

Student Finance are also asking me to pay back £1952.00 as it was an "over-payment" (£976.00 paid to me on the 05/10/2015 and again on the 11/01/2016).

I have literally been completely stunned financially with his new estimate.

I have just been to see my student support officer at university, and they said they'll do what they can to help me.

The worst thing is, is that my parents do not subsidise for me and I've been financially independent since last September when I moved out. I also do not have a room to move back into, so I'm sitting here with literally no hope for the future, considering I love my course and I'm currently achieving 1:1 in every module, and plan to achieve this overall with my degree.

I just don't know what to do, and I literally have no idea.

Please, if anyone has any suggestions then post it here.

Thank you,

Josh

Edit: I also paid £1500.00 of my savings (leaving me with £45.30) to cover my deposit, agency fees, and first six weeks of rent - I literally have no money to even pay back this grant.

Also, my dad is on a temporary contract that can stop at anytime.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi

I am starting university September 2016 I am 23 years old, will be turning 24 shortly after I've started, I have supported myself over the last 5 years with no help from parents and I've been in the job I'm in now coming up 3 years on 20th February and renting a room away from home. I am single so I don't have a partners income to help.

Will I be able to apply as an independent? If so, what evidence will I need to provide?

Thanks
Reply 4
Hi guys

if I don't know if my application for UNI was successful when should I ask for a student loan to be able to pay for it?

Thank you
Vasek
Reply 5
Hi, i was wondering if you can get a student loan from the UK if you study abroad i.e. a university that is in the EU but not partnered with a UK university.

Thank you.
Independent Student Enquiry.

I would like to be specific about one particular point please.

My son, who lives at home, will be 21 when starting uni in sept 2016 and has been financially independent since Feb 2013.

He has worked consecutively for over 3 years. He was full-time from Feb 2013 up until Sept 2015. He then went part time 30 hrs p/w in Sept 15 when he went back to college, then reduced again in Jan 2016 to 22 hours.

He will continue with 22 hours up to, and during, his time at Uni.He pays the same rent, same bills, etc and this can be proved via bank statements. He has all wage slips and P60's too.

I wonder if the 'independent student' criteria specially means they have had to worked 3 years FULL TIME? Is part time still okay? Or is the criteria purely based on the income? Do you know what this is per annum?

Thanks in advance.
Hello, basically my first semester this year hasn't gone very well (through a mixture of reasons but for simplicity sake thats just say it is my fault), while I have improved greatly this semester so far through me changing my study habitats and improvements in my mental well being, achieving firsts in my first few sets of course works and tutorial sheets, I will have most likely failed my semester 1 exams. I know resits are the next step in august after my june exams and I will be taking them head on with 100% effort and motivation, I do need to consider the other option that might happen, me failing this year, as if I have to leave university I will effectively be homeless and will need to make arrangements just in case this happens.

Bit of background before the question

Did a integrated science foundation year (year 0), currently first year physics (making this my second year of a 4 year course in the view of student finance)

Will I get funding for to resit the year? (which is the worst case scenario)

Thanks for any help you can give
When does student finance open for 2016/2017 entry for Uk students?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there,

As it stands, "independent" status is automatically given to those who are 25 and over; I however am not so thus I do not automatically qualify.

As far as I am aware, to be awarded "independent" status from SFE, one must provide evidence of self-support for 3 years or over from FULL-TIME employment however does not mention anything about PART-TIME employment. So my understanding is that PART-TIME employment is NOT considered when applying for "independent" status regardless of the duration of employment. Is this correct?

I personally fulfil the "self-support for 3 years or over" criteria however I only work PART-TIME and have only ever worked PART-TIME.

My query is that does one HAVE TO declare to SFE when applying for finance of any employment history (either part-time OR full-time) or is the chance to prove "independent" status a CHOICE?

Personally, I would NOT like to be considered for "independent" status as assessing my application based on parental income would just make the whole process easier. I am unsure however as to whether declaring any employment history to SFE is mandatory during the application or not.

Thank you very much for any help.
hi, i will be entitled to nhs bursary this year, but i dont think i will have enough even when given the reduced maintenance grant, is it possible to receive a greater amount ?
Original post by cbaker22
Hi

I am starting university September 2016 I am 23 years old, will be turning 24 shortly after I've started, I have supported myself over the last 5 years with no help from parents and I've been in the job I'm in now coming up 3 years on 20th February and renting a room away from home. I am single so I don't have a partners income to help.

Will I be able to apply as an independent? If so, what evidence will I need to provide?

Thanks

Hello,

Yes you would be able to apply as an independent student as the criteria is that you have self supported yourself for three years prior to the start of the course. Evidence that would need to be provided is of your earnings for the full 3 years, for example 3 P60s. This evidence would need to be posted in.

Thank you.
Original post by Vasek
Hi guys

if I don't know if my application for UNI was successful when should I ask for a student loan to be able to pay for it?

Thank you
Vasek

Hi Vasek

I can confirm that we are expecting our 2016/17 Application Forms to be available early March. You can complete this with the University you are hoping to attend and send this to us so that we can process it. This will ensure that your application is approved and ready for when you attend the University come September. However, you can do a change of circumstance and update your University and Course Details online prior to the start, if you find that you do not attend the one originally provided to us.

Many Thanks
Margaret
Original post by ymg177
I started university in January 2016 and I haven't received any funding as of now. I sent all the information to support my application on the 13th of January 2016. They sent me a text message after saying that it would take 20 working days to process the information. It is now the 10th of February and I find out that they have cancelled my previous application I created for 2015/16 today so I am a bit worried. What should I do?

Hello,

If your course started in January 2016 then you would still be able to make another application if required.

I would advise that you contact our Student Finance England help line on 0300 100 0607 who would be able to look closer into your account to check if there was any further information needed to process your application.

Many Thanks

Nicole Johns
Original post by Gunston93
Hi,

My name is Josh and I'll explain my situation.

I've been to university before for two years before dropping out (but this isn't relevant as I managed to appeal my student finance for another three-year course), but I'm not a first year again at another university in my hometown (Brighton).

Before I started the course in October, my maintenace loan and grant was given as £7197.40 - after looking at this figure, I decided to move out with two friends (one student, and one full-time worker) as I was able to work out that I could afford rent and utilities bills with my loan (£7197.40 / 12 = 599.78), and the flat we moved into costs me £476.66 a month, plus bills), so I have been working 20 hours a week in Tesco to cover my living cost which was absolutely fine.

As I knew I was getting £7197.40 each academic year, I moved out permanently so my new address is not a term-time address, but a permanent living address.

My old bedroom no longer exists, and I don't have the option of moving home (I'm 22 years-old anyway, so I was ready to move out permanently).

Anyway, this is what happened yesterday:

Since late November, my dad (who was previously retired), was given a great contracting opportunity and took it - in January, Student Finance asked for a reassessment so my dad was honest and put in his new salary.

I have just received a letter yesterday telling me that I will no longer receive a grant, and that my maintenance loan will be cut to £4805.40 (when previously it was around £1000 higher). This leaves me with £400.45 per month if I divided this equally throughout the year, but then I'll also be living here permanently through the summer months and it barely even touches my rent including bills.

Student Finance are also asking me to pay back £1952.00 as it was an "over-payment" (£976.00 paid to me on the 05/10/2015 and again on the 11/01/2016).

I have literally been completely stunned financially with his new estimate.

I have just been to see my student support officer at university, and they said they'll do what they can to help me.

The worst thing is, is that my parents do not subsidise for me and I've been financially independent since last September when I moved out. I also do not have a room to move back into, so I'm sitting here with literally no hope for the future, considering I love my course and I'm currently achieving 1:1 in every module, and plan to achieve this overall with my degree.

I just don't know what to do, and I literally have no idea.

Please, if anyone has any suggestions then post it here.

Thank you,

Josh

Edit: I also paid £1500.00 of my savings (leaving me with £45.30) to cover my deposit, agency fees, and first six weeks of rent - I literally have no money to even pay back this grant.

Also, my dad is on a temporary contract that can stop at anytime.

Hello Josh,

Unfortunately we do have to base your maintenance on your parents financial information, if the household income increases this will reduce the finance you're entitled too.

However if you feel you will be in financial hardship due to the over payment, you could apply to our discretionary payments team who will look in to your financial situation and assess whether we can delay the repayment until the end of your course. For more information on how to apply and the evidence needed you can call our contact centre on 0300 100 0607.

Thank you.
Original post by Ezgame
Hi, i was wondering if you can get a student loan from the UK if you study abroad i.e. a university that is in the EU but not partnered with a UK university.

Thank you.

Hi there

I can confirm that we do not provide funding to UK Students who are studying abroad, unless this is agreed as part of their Course with a UK University and you are living in England on the first day of your course.

Many Thanks
Margaret .
Original post by madmadmax321
Hello, basically my first semester this year hasn't gone very well (through a mixture of reasons but for simplicity sake thats just say it is my fault), while I have improved greatly this semester so far through me changing my study habitats and improvements in my mental well being, achieving firsts in my first few sets of course works and tutorial sheets, I will have most likely failed my semester 1 exams. I know resits are the next step in august after my june exams and I will be taking them head on with 100% effort and motivation, I do need to consider the other option that might happen, me failing this year, as if I have to leave university I will effectively be homeless and will need to make arrangements just in case this happens.

Bit of background before the question

Did a integrated science foundation year (year 0), currently first year physics (making this my second year of a 4 year course in the view of student finance)

Will I get funding for to resit the year? (which is the worst case scenario)

Thanks for any help you can give

Hello,

If the foundation year you studied was integrated with the Physics course you're now studying then yes you would be able to get full funding if you have to resit this year. Every student gets one year of extra funding called a gift year to use if they have to resit, change course etc so yes you would be fine for funding. If you want to clarify this with your exact course details you can call our team on 0300 100 0607.

Thank you.
Original post by Cliffy2407
When does student finance open for 2016/2017 entry for Uk students?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi There

I can confirm that the applications will be available online from early March, therefore I would advise that you keep an eye on our Gov.UK Website for any updates as to the specific day of release.

Many Thanks
Margaret
Original post by EducatedFH
hi, i will be entitled to nhs bursary this year, but i dont think i will have enough even when given the reduced maintenance grant, is it possible to receive a greater amount ?

Hello,

If a student is on an NHS funded course Student Finance can only provide a reduced rate of maintenance loan so no you wouldn't be able to increase your loan amount.

Thank you.
Original post by mummalove
Independent Student Enquiry.

I would like to be specific about one particular point please.

My son, who lives at home, will be 21 when starting uni in sept 2016 and has been financially independent since Feb 2013.

He has worked consecutively for over 3 years. He was full-time from Feb 2013 up until Sept 2015. He then went part time 30 hrs p/w in Sept 15 when he went back to college, then reduced again in Jan 2016 to 22 hours.

He will continue with 22 hours up to, and during, his time at Uni.He pays the same rent, same bills, etc and this can be proved via bank statements. He has all wage slips and P60's too.

I wonder if the 'independent student' criteria specially means they have had to worked 3 years FULL TIME? Is part time still okay? Or is the criteria purely based on the income? Do you know what this is per annum?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

A student can be considered independent if they have self supported themselves financially for at least three years prior to the start of their course.

The three years can include periods when they were:In paid full-time or part -time employment. In receipt of Income Support, JSA or other state benefits paid to a person who is registered as unemployed. In receipt of incapacity benefits, invalidity pension or maternity allowance or receiving training under any scheme for the unemployed or other funding by any state authority or agency.

As your son has been in employment I would advise that once the applications are released in early March, to submit and send in the financial evidence to assess his income. This will be looked at on a case by case basis by our Independent Team.

Many Thanks

Nicole Johns

Latest

Trending

Trending