The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alex_Smith_1993
I'm not implying that at all. What I'm saying is why is it that in many circumstances those who messed around and didn't try hard at school are so often easily accepted into the armed forces without a single qualification prior to getting in? I know of three examples of students from my former school, who all left with mostly U grades etc. but still got accepted into the army and other forces pretty much without a problem.

Generally speaking it seems like on a whole the armed forces only want to make allowances or waivers on your qualifications if you come from an unfortunate or deprived background, but if you come from a decent family background they dont really want to help much at all. I still really do love the RAF though and I've been having private flying lessons for about 8 months now. A pilot even just holding a PPL, instead of military would be the ultimate dream for me one day though.

You need to be careful of that chip on your shoulder.

If they got in they'll have either had at least the minimum requirements for that role - and remember those are different for every role, some literally have no minimum requirements - or they'll have gone out and got the minimum requirements.

Nobody makes it in without having what is needed or a recognised equivalent.
Original post by Drewski
You need to be careful of that chip on your shoulder.

If they got in they'll have either had at least the minimum requirements for that role - and remember those are different for every role, some literally have no minimum requirements - or they'll have gone out and got the minimum requirements.

Nobody makes it in without having what is needed or a recognised equivalent.

I really am not trying to sound snobbish at all and I'm extremely sorry if it has come across that way. admitidley, I don't have a clue what they applied for, other than from their facebook I know they are in the army, but the three in question were just horrible bullies at school. I think I'm being perhaps slightly bitter as two of them damaged our garage door and scratched my dads car many, many years ago. When both got caught they were crying and my parents decided not to press charges against them, but they still didn't pay for the damage though, which came to quite a lot of money.

Again, I really do apologise if it sounded snobbish and Thanks for clarifying about the entry requirements stuff.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi Alex.

There are some things in life for which there are no shortcuts and the only way you will achieve it is to simply suffer through the required slog.

If you *really* want a career in the RAF then you will go and get your Maths GCSE. Now that you've got your degree, and if it was as involved with Maths as you are implying, you shouldn't have any issues with taking the GCSE exams. Having said that, now that you're older and have some excellent motivation to study and work at the Maths it should also be a bit easier to get that pass.
Original post by Schleigg
Hi Alex.

There are some things in life for which there are no shortcuts and the only way you will achieve it is to simply suffer through the required slog.

If you *really* want a career in the RAF then you will go and get your Maths GCSE. Now that you've got your degree, and if it was as involved with Maths as you are implying, you shouldn't have any issues with taking the GCSE exams. Having said that, now that you're older and have some excellent motivation to study and work at the Maths it should also be a bit easier to get that pass.

Thanks for the motivation. I mean I can do basic add/subtraction like anyone can, but it was always just algebra that I always just made an atrocious mess of in the exams. They might as well have been written in hieroglyphics or in Sumerian lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Alex_Smith_1993
Again, I really do apologise if it sounded snobbish and Thanks for clarifying about the entry requirements stuff.

No worries, just be careful in interviews!
Original post by lekkzz
I've been lurking on these forums for a while now and I don't think I've ever read a reply from Drewski which isn't insulting to the person he's responding too. As he clearly doesn't know the answer to your question and instead resorted to insulting rather than just not replying, allow me to give you as detailed as answer as I can:

If it is your first enlistment into the Royal Air Force you have the right to claim your discharge, with no subsequent reserve liability (although still be liable to recall), you will be able to claim your discharge by giving 14 days notice to your commanding officer and then subsequently required to complete 28 days of service. This can be done at any time during the first 6 months of your enlistment or up to your 18th birthday, whichever comes first.

If after this point you still want to leave, it does become a bit more difficult, especially if you have completed your basic professional training. If you have completed this, you have no legal right to end your service and it will only be agreed that you can discharge if it is certain that it is the best thing for both parties. However, it is likely your request to be discharged will be refused and at this point you must complete at least 3 years of air force service from the end of your basic training. Further to this, if you do any addition training which attracts a "return of service", the restriction will be that you must complete this after completion of that course or assignment in question.

To summarise, you can voluntary discharge yourself from the Royal Air Force at any time during the first 6 months of service although you must wait at least 14 days to request a discharge in writing and then must serve another 14 days totalling 28 (Maths) before you can leave. If you complete your basic professional training, it is then a whole world of trouble if you then decide the RAF isn't for you. It's almost certain you would have to serve 3 years. Looking at the big picture, 3 years is a good amount of time for you to say that you have given it time and a decent crack of the whip.

Hope that helps.

Does this mean you cant leave the RAF after you've finished your apprenticeship? If your apprenticeship lasts 3 years do you have to serve an additional 3 years to be able to leave?
Original post by Imtheish
Does this mean you cant leave the RAF after you've finished your apprenticeship? If your apprenticeship lasts 3 years do you have to serve an additional 3 years to be able to leave?

You have to serve for whatever period of time you sign up for. So if you sign up for a 6 year engagement, yes, you have to serve 6 years. If you fail your training, or if you get a disqualifying health condition you can leave, but you can't just decide you don't fancy it, once the taxpayer has funded your training.

The bleakest, greyest, wettest postings around the world are full of people who just didn't fancy it any more :wink:
Original post by threeportdrift
You have to serve for whatever period of time you sign up for. So if you sign up for a 6 year engagement, yes, you have to serve 6 years. If you fail your training, or if you get a disqualifying health condition you can leave, but you can't just decide you don't fancy it, once the taxpayer has funded your training.

The bleakest, greyest, wettest postings around the world are full of people who just didn't fancy it any more :wink:

Sorry, I've seen you give great advice before but the first sentence of your post isn't strictly true. As it stands, most Junior Ranks are signed on for 12 years. However, you do not have to complete this.

From what I remember at Basic Training (so this may have changed), you're not technically a member of the RAF until you swear your allegiance to the Queen (which happens on your first day). So you could go through the whole application process & quit at this point (although it'd be somewhat pointless).

After you've done this, they expect you to do at least 2-4 weeks before you can quit. There's plenty of people who don't make it through Basic Training but usually this is because they drop out rather than failing anything in particular. It's worth remembering that life in training is very different to life in the "real" military. If I remember correctly, you can actually leave at any point in the first 6 months but not immediately - it takes a couple of weeks to get out.

After you've served those 6 months you're expected to serve at least until your Return of Service. This differs depending on what trade you go for - the jobs that cost more to train you require a longer return. Expect to serve at least three years after you finish your Trade Training however.

After this point, you can put in a PVR which signals your intention to quit the RAF. This will start the process that will see you lead the air force but it still takes 6-12 months before you actually walk out the door.

The bottom line is that you should expect to serve at least 3 years on top of whatever Basic & Trade Training you receive.
I would like to know would a family member have to pay for a serving personal to come home on r
Original post by Reddress
I would like to know would a family member have to pay for a serving personal to come home on r

Say again?
Original post by Reddress

Hi

Can we help answer your question? What is the full question?

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Original post by RAF_Adam
Hi

Can we help answer your question? What is the full question?

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

They asked elsewhere and have their answer now, they were targeted by a scam.
Reply 32
As someone who has served 16 years in the RAF and also a recruit instructor, if you are looking at leaving before joining up, the I highly recommend that you don't join up and waste everyone's time and effort. A hell of a lot of money is invested in you and your training. Let someone else take your place who actually wants a full career in the RAF.

Latest