The Student Room Group

Where's best to study medicine?

Hey!

I want to be a doctor and i'm taking chemistry, biology, maths, further maths and music at A level (music because it is a release subject and i really enjoy it). Is there any way that can make you stand out to universities...cos ideally i'd really want to go to Cambridge or Oxford. Anyone going there/ there themselves? Or does anyone have an idea where the best place is to study medicine.
I'm expected 11 A*s in my GCSEs (though that probably won't happen :p: ) I'll b gutted if I don't but hey....life goes on.

love k xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The best place to study medicine is, without question, St Luke's School of Medicine.
Reply 2
What's best for you wont be the best for everyone... Courses are different. PBL, traditional or integrated.

I dont know what you'd have to do to stand out. But to even compete with other applicants you'll need lots of work experience and extra curricular activities to your name!

Sorry but you're asking quite a general question and I've only ever been to one med school so I can't compare. But generally there aren't any medical schools which are particularly better or worse.

And when applying for your FY1 job, they can't see which uni you're from, so the prestige factor shouldn't make that much difference.

And obviously my medical school's the best (BL) :wink:
Reply 3
Renal
The best place to study medicine is, without question, St Luke's School of Medicine.

I was going to say the University of East England in Ipswich personally. I've heard good things about that course and institution.
why are you asking about med schools? this is the economics forum, idiot
Reply 5
Idontknowwhat
why are you asking about med schools? this is the economics forum, idiot
If you're going to be sarcastic, be funny with it. If you're going to be shouty, be right first.
Um, don't go to UCL, we don't want any more oxbridge rejects :p:
sorry renal, forgot you are the ultimate judge of humour...
Reply 8
Idontknowwhat
sorry renal, forgot you are the ultimate judge of humour...
It just makes no sense. If I'm wrong, and the rest of TSR is rolling on the floor, just let me know...
to be honest, i didnt really expect or want my comment to leave people in hysterics, nor make them roll on the floor (a dirty habit).

and of course you're not wrong renal, oh mighty one.
Reply 10
Idontknowwhat
and of course you're not wrong renal, oh mighty one.
Damn ****ing right. Know your place.
Is there some history between you guys? :p:
Reply 12
Dunno.

*shrug*
Reply 13
Where's best to study medicine?

Everyone for some bizzare reason ends up saying GKT.......That must be a good place - I wish I can go there some day, don't you?

LOL - still true though
Reply 14
Urm. Not really. On all three of your points.
Reply 15
shhhh!
Reply 16
I've heard GKT is pretty snobby from some people, but I'll probably apply there since I'd quite like to study there.
Reply 17
Wonderful!
Iscariot
I was going to say the University of East England in Ipswich personally. I've heard good things about that course and institution.

What??? I'm from Ipswich and the University Campus of Suffolk (is this what you are refering to, because, as a town, Ipswich doesn't have a university!!!) doesn't offer a medicine course...
Reply 19
Princess_Kirstin
What??? I'm from Ipswich and the University Campus of Suffolk (is this what you are refering to, because, as a town, Ipswich doesn't have a university!!!) doesn't offer a medicine course...
:banghead:

Latest

Trending

Trending