The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Classic, Theodore.
It's not tough - you need to have straight As. That's all.

Definitely not true. You need to have a sound knowledge in the medical field and a solution to various types of cancers. Even if you were Harry Potter, you would undoubtedly get rejected.
Reply 61
Actually I saw some odd program on Channel 4 a while back about this 12 year old Indian kid who was a medical genius (had the medical knowledge of a graduate basically...) and claimed he had good theories for fighting cancers...

Heh, I didn't really take it too seriously though, it was Channel 4...!

Cheers,

Reply 62
becca2389
If you're Scottish, then maybe. But if you're non-Scottish then grades alone don't seem to cut it.

Yeah, all the applicants I know are Scottish.
Not one person with 5 As was rejected.
One person was rejected and they had AAAAB.
I didn't apply to Edinburgh.
Reply 63
Decota
Definitely not true. You need to have a sound knowledge in the medical field and a solution to various types of cancers. Even if you were Harry Potter, you would undoubtedly get rejected.

For Scottish applicants it seems to be - they don't even interview so there's no way of telling if you've got sound knowledge in the medical field and a cure for cancer :smile:
I only know one person who was rejected from Edinburgh of about 8 who applied. The other 7 had AAAAA - the person who was rejected had AAAAB.
I don't know what it's like for English applicants applying to Scotland so I couldn't comment :smile:
Classic, Theodore.
I only know one person who was rejected from Edinburgh of about 8 who applied. The other 7 had AAAAA - the person who was rejected had AAAAB.
I don't know what it's like for English applicants applying to Scotland so I couldn't comment :smile:

My grudge with Edinburgh exactly. That's either coincidence or blatant preference for Scottish applicants. In my school around 20 people applied this year. Every single one of them was rejected.
Reply 65
Edinburgh as a University is all about prejudice, in my personal opinion and experience.
Reply 66
Hmm, you guys are certainly putting me off putting in an application there...does anyone know if St. Andrews has the same sort of reported bias against non-scots?

It's odd though, because we pay more fees than the Scots, so doesn't it benefit the university if they accept more english people? Although perhaps the government gives them more money, perhaps it's just the old fashioned celtic loathing, who knows!

Cheers,

Reply 67
St Andrews favours English people, in my experience.
For Scottish applicants, its grade requirements are the lowest in Scotland (only AAABB) and yet, nobody I know has been offered a place there.
I did apply to St Andrews and I'd been to the Summer School there and wrote that on my statement and I was still rejected.
I know 4 people who also applied there and were rejected (they were all given several offers from elsewhere so their applications were in no way defective.)
As I've said before on this forum, not a lot of Scottish people apply to St Andrews, certainly not from my area.

Clincal contact is late in St Andrews and you only stay there until year three at which point you move to Manchester to do your clinical training there. It isn't ideal and St Andrews gets slagged off quite considerably among applicants for this.

Edinburgh is a great medical school but, I'm my opinion, unless you have the top grades then I wouldn't bother applying.
Classic, Theodore.
For Scottish applicants, its grade requirements are the lowest in Scotland (only AAABB) and yet, nobody I know has been offered a place there.
I did apply to St Andrews and I'd been to the Summer School there and wrote that on my statement and I was still rejected.
I know 4 people who also applied there and were rejected (they were all given several offers from elsewhere so their applications were in no way defective.)
As I've said before on this forum, not a lot of Scottish people apply to St Andrews, certainly not from my area.

Nothing you've said there suggests that St Andrews favours English students or discriminates against Scottish ones. It sounds like any other medical school. Just because it offers lower than the rest doesn't mean it's easier to get into.
Reply 69
When the hell did this become a serious thread? It shouldn't be allowed.
Reply 70
becca2389
Nothing you've said there suggests that St Andrews favours English students or discriminates against Scottish ones. It sounds like any other medical school. Just because it offers lower than the rest doesn't mean it's easier to get into.

haha, oh yeah, forgot that point :biggrin:
Personally, I've never known someone to be made an offer by St Andrews.
I've known about 40, 50 medical applicants and not one has been made an offer by St Andrews. They have, however, been made offers by every single other Scottish Medical School and some, by Oxbridge.
All of those medical applicants were Scottish.
Reply 71
Classic, Theodore.
haha, oh yeah, forgot that point :biggrin:
Personally, I've never known someone to be made an offer by St Andrews.
I've known about 40, 50 medical applicants and not one has been made an offer by St Andrews. They have, however, been made offers by every single other Scottish Medical School and some, by Oxbridge.
All of those medical applicants were Scottish.
is your school just a medical student factory? :rolleyes:
Reply 72
Yeah, I have a wide circle of friends and aquaintances :smile:
We're all very bright, you know :p:
Reply 73
Renal
When the hell did this become a serious thread? It shouldn't be allowed.

Sorry, some nice medical students decided to help me out and answer some of my questions...

Hmm, there is about 20 people from my year of 200 wanting to do Medicine which I thought was a fair few, I guess that might drop after people get their AS grades.

I understand why St. Andrews gets slagged off as you have to transfer for your clincial, however now you can stay in Scotland to do this, which is what I would do I guess. Hmm, I wonder how hard to would be get into Edinburgh for the clincials? Hard to say I guess as this was a fairly recent decision about St. Andrews students I think.

Cheers,

Reply 74
-42-
Actually I saw some odd program on Channel 4 a while back about this 12 year old Indian kid who was a medical genius (had the medical knowledge of a graduate basically...) and claimed he had good theories for fighting cancers...

He was 8 when he performed his first surgery. His name is Akrit something or other. Channel 4 flew him over to Imperial College London where he spent time with medical students at a London hospital (whose name I forget) and with cancer researchers.

During "rounds" he could communicate effectively with the medical students and answer the questions the teachers asked him. I was a bit disappointed with his discussions with one of Imperial's cancer researchers though. He used nice words like oncoproteins and voltage-gated ion channels, but he never really elaborated on his theories to do with fighting cancer. There's no doubt he's a smart kid, he was accepted into some Indian university for his BSc at something like age 11.

Not bad for someone who must only be like 14 now.
Reply 75
Classic, Theodore.
We're all very bright, you know :p:

Clearly not, if you're applying to med school en mass :wink:
Well my college is, we have ~80/300 people applying to Medicine.
Classic, Theodore.

Clincal contact is late in St Andrews and you only stay there until year three at which point you move to Manchester to do your clinical training there. It isn't ideal and St Andrews gets slagged off quite considerably among applicants for this.

Edinburgh is a great medical school but, I'm my opinion, unless you have the top grades then I wouldn't bother applying.

Perhaps that's just your school - I know reams of Scottish people studying medicine at St Andrews. I don't think things are as cut and dry as you're making out. A lot of people would prefer a traditional course with a pre-clinical/clinical divide, and one of the main reasons I applied to Cambridge and St Andrews was that I wanted the opportunity to move after 3 years in the one place - I don't consider it to be a negative thing; for me, that's "ideal". Students at St Andrews also have a lot of choice over where they can go for clinicals - the Scottish Executive are really pushing for people to transfer to Scottish universities and a few of them end up at Oxbridge each year.
Reply 78
friendlyneutron
Perhaps that's just your school - I know reams of Scottish people studying medicine at St Andrews. I don't think things are as cut and dry as you're making out. A lot of people would prefer a traditional course with a pre-clinical/clinical divide, and one of the main reasons I applied to Cambridge and St Andrews was that I wanted the opportunity to move after 3 years in the one place - I don't consider it to be a negative thing; for me, that's "ideal". Students at St Andrews also have a lot of choice over where they can go for clinicals - the Scottish Executive are really pushing for people to transfer to Scottish universities and a few of them end up at Oxbridge each year.

Oh yeah, I'm sure there are lots of Scots studying Medicine at St Andrews. Just in my experience there are not :smile:
Indeed, different strokes for different folks but I'm sure that most people would prefer some kind of clinical contact before year 4.
Reply 79
Fluffy
Clearly not, if you're applying to med school en mass :wink:

They're not all from my school, they're spread over 3 or 4 local schools.
But yeah, some of them are a bit clueless... One of them has never set foot in a hospital :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending