The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
ShOcKzZ
what did u get for the calculations about chlorphyll etc?

Did you get 0.205%????
Reply 41
zazy
Did you get 0.205%????

yay i got that. it was 45% of the huuge number, and then divide the number from the previous question by that and multiply by 100. which gives a percentage of a percentage.
Reply 42
yey i got that too
Reply 43
noggin
good point. i have no idea. ha i remember in one of my last biology lessons we were talking about exactly this subject - waterlogged soil etc. and i wasnt listening and i thought 'bugger i should find the answer out to that - i wouldnt be able to work it out in an exam' and by then the conversation had moved on so i didnt bother. so it was quite typical that it came up. oh well!

Its just a guess, but I think both answers are valid. Biology lessons? What the heck are they, I've skipped so many lessons I can't even remember what my teacher looks like :tongue: , okay I tell a lie, he's a dirty scummy he-she, but hey I can't remember what he smells like, okay, I tell a lie.......

I think I got the same percentage as you guys, you know the question about the Calvin Cycle where you had to fill in the numbers, that muddled me up a bit because we've always learnt about GALP instead of what they had, but I put 6C in GALPs place as there was only one molecule and I put a 1C next to the glucose because it was only one turn of the cycle, wasn't it?

:cool: :tongue:
Reply 44
VoldyMuyo

I think I got the same percentage as you guys, you know the question about the Calvin Cycle where you had to fill in the numbers, that muddled me up a bit because we've always learnt about GALP instead of what they had, but I put 6C in GALPs place as there was only one molecule and I put a 1C next to the glucose because it was only one turn of the cycle, wasn't it?

hmm.... I put 3C for the 1st one, then the one below i put as 4C, then glucose 6C, C6H1206?
Reply 45
there was one that asked why there was no competition
then it said how evolution had produced a long curvy beak or something? :confused:
and i think the last bit was to do with the ragworm..it was something to do with water..(actually does any1 know what this question was?)
Reply 46
misty
hmm.... I put 3C for the 1st one, then the one below i put as 4C, then glucose 6C, C6H1206?

Yeah I know the glucose formula, but then the carbons didn't add up, I thought you had to make the cycle balance as well?

The beak one, it asked why there was reduced competition and I put this, the big one could eat all of the foods, the medium one can't compete with the big one and the small one can't compete with either, therefore reduced competition or something like that :smile: .

Reply 47
VoldyMuyo

please tell me you are not talking about environment paper AQA from today?! i didnt see a Calvin cycle question on....*panics*
Reply 48
ShOcKzZ
there was one that asked why there was no competition
then it said how evolution had produced a long curvy beak or something? :confused:
and i think the last bit was to do with the ragworm..it was something to do with water..(actually does any1 know what this question was?)

in the second bit it asked why water moved into the ragworm where the freshwater washed into the mud off the hills. think it was meaning osmosis - at least thats what i put!
Reply 49
noggin
in the second bit it asked why water moved into the ragworm where the freshwater washed into the mud off the hills. think it was meaning osmosis - at least thats what i put!

lol, i put osmosis...but in a worm :confused: lol, do worms have partially permeable membranes lol?
Reply 50
noggin
please tell me you are not talking about environment paper AQA from today?! i didnt see a Calvin cycle question on....*panics*

Nah, sorry didn't mean to worry you, it was on BYB4 :smile: . I put something about osmosis too for the ragworm thing, something about it being adapted to halophytic conditons methinks.

Reply 51
VoldyMuyo
Nah, sorry didn't mean to worry you, it was on BYB4 :smile: . I put something about osmosis too for the ragworm thing, something about it being adapted to halophytic conditons methinks.

pheeeeeew. horrid moment there - thought i'd missed out a page or something, eek!
Reply 52
Eeek! I got a different percentage on that biomass question, I got 0.217 or something, I thought I'd done everything right... oh well. I think I've resigned myself to a B in biology, unless some miracle occurs on Friday.
Reply 53
i waffled far too much :frown: it wasn't that everything was horrendously bad, it's just i never know what examiners want..... grrr that went badly. messed up the calculation completely as well
I spent way too long on the first half so I was kind of rushing by the end :frown: Argh :frown: Anyways for some reason I chose to ignore the one that said waterlogged has low oxygen content and put osmosis and turgid cells which burst..what the hell? I did read the oxygen but I just put anything down, there was no time! And for the phosphate, I put DNA but that makes proteins doesn't it? So isn't that ok to put down? Argh I've done so badly, section B was in bullet points when I was trying to finish it :frown:
What have previous mark boundaries been for this module does anyone know? I looked at the AQA website in Examiner's Reports but the scaled raw marks they put in there seem extremely low for each module? :confused:
By the way, how many marks was that waterlogged one? I made a mess on that decaying leaves one, I misread it and thought it said photosynthesis and started talking about that, realised growth was going down, got confused and crossed the whole page out! Argh stupid stupid exam! Sorry thanks :smile:
Reply 57
Asphyxiating
What have previous mark boundaries been for this module does anyone know? I looked at the AQA website in Examiner's Reports but the scaled raw marks they put in there seem extremely low for each module? :confused:

i think last year u needed a raw mark of 46/66 to get an A
priya
i think last year u needed a raw mark of 46/66 to get an A

If you look here for Summer 2003 (http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-5416-6416-WRE-Jun03.pdf) the last few pages give the mark boundaries, it says it was 45/66 for an A but all the other modules seem to have really low mark boundaries too, why is that? Is that because they are so strict on marking to the mark scheme exactly? :confused:
Reply 59
yay!!! i got the same answer for the chlorphyll percentages!!! eek about the reduced competition tho!!! i thought that because the birds had different legths of beaks, the shorter ones wouldnt be able to eat the longer ones food, and then that only the really short beaked one had a pointy/sharp/strong enough beak to break open the cockles that the other two could reach (arrgh!!! and im sure i made even less sense in the exam!!!!!)

Latest

Trending

Trending