The Student Room Group

Why is driving in london so bloody difficult?

Ive realised most buisness workers in the city use the train/bus and avoid cars at all costs. My dad was driving me ariund central and i was so shocked. Im a new driver and only drive on local easy roads but when we were driving throufh central, it had all these lanes and one way roads. The roundabouts are so huge and scarey and traffic is ridiculous. Even a satnav wont help much. Apparently, central london roads were not really designed for cars. Is there a reason as to why its so difficult to drive here? Im scared i might get a job in the city after university but wont be able to use my car due to the horrific roads! I hate public transport :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
most business people take taxis ?
Reply 2
Virtually nobody working in central London drives to work. As you have seen, it's a nightmare on the roads, and many workplaces don't have parking.

It's an old city, which wasn't developed a) with cars in mind or b) to any organised plan, so there is no clear system of major through roads or a grid like some cities. As London grew, it enveloped smaller towns and villages which had their own road network and connections. Plus the government don't WANT to encourage car use in the city, it's congested enough already!
depends either you get either
a taxi
an uber car
a chauffeured luxury car
or the ceo's just get a helicopter
London is a city that was founded by the Romans, who strangely enough had yet to invent cars. The layout of central London has barely changed since the Great Fire of London in 1666, and strangely enough they too had yet to invent cars.

I work in London, and I don't know anyone (yes, literally no one in my large workplace, including those who are very well paid) that drives to work, because
a) you'd never get there due to the congestion
b) the congestion charge is about £12 a day
c) there's no parking, either within the workplace or nearby
d) the tube / bus / bike is cheaper, faster and far less stressful!

There is literally no reason (unless you are physically severely disabled) to drive a car into central London on a regular basis. The government has been making great efforts to discourage people from driving in, and to make it more pleasant for people taking other options (cycling or public transport, e.g. the new segregated and very safe cycle superhighways). In my opinion they should be doing even more to reduce the number of people travelling into central London by car - especially increasing the congestion charge (price, area, times) and capping the number of minicab / taxi licences in circulation.

You, like everyone else who works or lives in London, will rapidly discover that getting the tube or bus, or cycling, is far more preferable. If you don't like public transport, then cycle - I do, frequently, and I find that it's just as quick as the train (door-to-door times), it's enjoyable, and I turn up at work feeling refreshed rather than still half asleep.
Public transport in London is so good (except when there's a tube strike) that there's no point driving in.
I grew up in Central London so I'm very used to it. I have been driving for just over 6 months and have driven around Central (at times when there's no congestion charge) and tbh you do get used to it, but it can be stressful. If you make it a priority to constantly check mirrors, know were you're going and have good control within narrow roads you should be fine. You should also be pretty assertive as there are no polite drivers in London.

The hardest part I reckon is the cyclists and mopeds that can come up in your blind spot when you least expect it, so you have to keep your wits about you.
HI. .. I've just been reading wot everyone's sayin. .I'm moving to London hackney...I will need to book test before December as my theory runs out 5th test!!! I'm panicking about zones..etc anyone no rough price...or decent instructed in Hackney? ?
Anybody no a decent affordable driving instructed ..in Hackney? ??
How to meet new decent friends in Hackney. ..40 sumthin moving in few weeks...love music talking London travel most things
Best time to drive in London is 3 am on a Sunday morning.
Rather drive through than be packed like a sardine into a hot tube in the summer. But yeah one doesn't simply drive through London
I always got told that no one drives in London, as the traffic is too bad :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending