The Student Room Group

Mocks- less than a week away and need to for mahts cram to get good marks

I haven't started any revision until now and I am beginning to panic a little looking at how much there is. I am doing History, Maths, Bio and Chem mocks next week. History will be taking up a lot of revision time over the next week as there is so much content and I feel like it's going to detract from my other revision.

My maths mocks is on C1 alone but I haven't practiced any of this stuff for a few months- How would you suggest going about revising for the maths mock without using up too much time- ideally in 4-5 hours across the week I have? Also given the fact that I have forgotten some of the stuff I learnt
And sorry about the title; accidentally clicked enter before writing it out properly
(edited 8 years ago)
Anyone? I am not sure what to do over here
Original post by PricklyPorcupine
Anyone? I am not sure what to do over here

if you only have 4-5 hours I suggest 2 past papers + looking over the mark scheme and the remaining time learning off information such as indice rules, quadratic formula, sequences and series work and the calculus stuff
Original post by DylanJ42
if you only have 4-5 hours I suggest 2 past papers + looking over the mark scheme and the remaining time learning off information such as indice rules, quadratic formula, sequences and series work and the calculus stuff

Okay thank you; I have been looking at the exam practice section of the book but it seems much more complex than the exams
I was also wondering whether you could help me with this question: (2root2/root3-1) - (2root3/root2 +1) which is from the exam practice; it wants the answer in terms of proot6+qroot3 + rroot2
I tried rationalising but it wouldn't work
(edited 8 years ago)
Okay thank you; I have been looking at the exam practice section of the book but it seems much more complex than the exams
I was also wondering whether you could help me with this question: (2root2/root3-1) - (2root3/root2 +1) which is from the exam practice; it wants the answer in terms of proot6+qroot3 + rroot2
I tried rationalising but it wouldn't work

youll notice the format of exam questions is slightly different to the textbook questions, so you will have to get used to that

your question is 2231232+1 \displaystyle \frac{2\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{3}-1} - \frac{2\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{2}+1} ? (just to make sure im helping you with the right one)

Edit: rationalizing definitely works, is it possible for you to post your workings?
youll notice the format of exam questions is slightly different to the textbook questions, so you will have to get used to that

your question is 2231232+1 \displaystyle \frac{2\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{3}-1} - \frac{2\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{2}+1} ? (just to make sure im helping you with the right one)

Edit: rationalizing definitely works, is it possible for you to post your workings?

Yes, I know but I have also noticed that the exams tend to be easier than textbook which is odd.
Yes, that's the question; I multiplied the numerator of the surd on the left by its denominator and then and I did the same for the surd on the right with its own denominator
Yes, I know but I have also noticed that the exams tend to be easier than textbook which is odd.
Yes, that's the question; I multiplied the numerator of the surd on the left by its denominator and then and I did the same for the surd on the right with its own denominator

sorry i was out

thats great that you find that :biggrin: the textbook questions are clearly great prep for the exams then :tongue:

So you done 22313+13+1232+12121 \displaystyle \frac{2\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{3}-1} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{3}+1}{\sqrt{3}+1} - \frac{2\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{2}+1} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{2}-1}{\sqrt{2}-1}

and ended up with; 26+22226231 \displaystyle \frac{2\sqrt{6} + 2\sqrt{2}}{2}-\frac{2\sqrt{6}-2\sqrt{3}}{1}

are we in agreement so far?
sorry i was out

thats great that you find that :biggrin: the textbook questions are clearly great prep for the exams then :tongue:

So you done 22313+13+1232+12121 \displaystyle \frac{2\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{3}-1} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{3}+1}{\sqrt{3}+1} - \frac{2\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{2}+1} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{2}-1}{\sqrt{2}-1}

and ended up with; 26+22226231 \displaystyle \frac{2\sqrt{6} + 2\sqrt{2}}{2}-\frac{2\sqrt{6}-2\sqrt{3}}{1}

are we in agreement so far?

Yes, I suppose so!
Yes, that's what I did
Yes, I suppose so!
Yes, that's what I did

then you took 26+22226231 \displaystyle \frac{2\sqrt{6} + 2\sqrt{2}}{2}-\frac{2\sqrt{6}-2\sqrt{3}}{1} and divided appropriately to get;

6+226+23 \displaystyle \sqrt{6} + \sqrt{2} - 2\sqrt{6}+2\sqrt{3} which finally simplifies to 6+2+23 \displaystyle -\sqrt{6} + \sqrt{2} +2\sqrt{3}

did you get all this?

Quick Reply

Latest