The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

MSc Real Estate programmes at Reading: Student perspectives

I'm posting this enquiry made on the BSc Real Estate thread, and hope that some of our current MSc students will respond in the coming days/weeks.

(Original post by imrt92)

MSc Real Estate Asset Management at Manchester or MSc Real Estate at Reading?

Tuition fees are vastly different, £8750 at Manchester and £16,500 at Reading respectively.

Are there any current MSc students at Reading who are able to provide some insight to their real estate course?

Thank you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi there,

I am currently on the MSc Real Estate course at Reading. The course is very well organised, with a large variety of modules to choose from. Not only is there the academic element but we also focus on the more practical side of surveying. With a large cohort it also means that you are exposed to many people that you may be working with as colleagues in the future which is fantastic.

The main reason why I chose Reading is not only for its top rated reputation but for its employability prospects. It is extremely competitive getting a job at one of the top real estate companies but Reading have a dedicated careers advisor to help you with any interview prep or help you may need. In the first couple of months we were also visiting London on a weekly basis to meet with potential employees which was great exposure.

I hope this helps. I'm afraid I do not know very much about the Manchester course to comment.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Hi everyone,

I received an offer yesterday to study the MSc Real Estate at Reading. I live in Trowbridge (Wiltshire), which is just under 2 hours away from Reading. I have read that the Msc Real Estate is taught at Henley Business School and at Whiteknights Campus - do you know which one is right? - as this will make a huge difference to my journey time. Also can you give me an idea of the amount of hours per week you are actually in university? When I was studying at Cardiff it was only 10 contact hours per week, but when I spoke to someone from Reading they informed it is a lot more intense than this.

Thank you :smile:

Lauren
Hi Lauren, glad you're joining us! In response to your questions, the teaching is all delivered at Whiteknights (Reading), which should make your life easier. The contact hours per week will vary a little depending on which option modules you take, but the overall number of teaching contact hours is likely to around 10-12 per week. The level of coursework load and time spent on 'related activities' (e.g. careers, industry visits, evening seminars) might well make it feel more intense than Cardiff....but everyone seems to survive!
Joe (Doak)
Reply 4
Original post by username1567813
I'm posting this enquiry made on the BSc Real Estate thread, and hope that some of our current MSc students will respond in the coming days/weeks.

(Original post by imrt92)

MSc Real Estate Asset Management at Manchester or MSc Real Estate at Reading?

Tuition fees are vastly different, £8750 at Manchester and £16,500 at Reading respectively.

Are there any current MSc students at Reading who are able to provide some insight to their real estate course?

Thank you.

I am struggling to choose between the same universities for the course MSc Real Estate. Please help.
Original post by Shruti.
I am struggling to choose between the same universities for the course MSc Real Estate. Please help.

Henley is regarded as the best in real estate in the country. The school has good connections to the industry and a good hiring record. I think Henley will be better if you are 100% sure you want to work in real estate in the UK.

Manchester is a more reputable school than Reading in the UK and globally. It might give you better job prospects in a wider net of job types and outside the UK.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Andrew0409
Henley is regarded as the best in real estate in the country. The school has good connections to the industry and a good hiring record. I think Henley will be better if you are 100% sure you want to work in real estate in the UK.

Manchester is a more reputable school than Reading in the UK and globally. It might give you better job prospects in a wider net of job types and outside the UK.

But what is I had to choose between Manchester and Reading. I'm thinking to choose Manchester. What's your take on that?
Original post by Shruti.
But what is I had to choose between Manchester and Reading. I'm thinking to choose Manchester. What's your take on that?

I’m not sure what your question is. I’ve explained both Henley vs Manchester above.

just to clarify, Henley is the business school at Uni of Reading if that’s where the confusion lies.
Reply 8
Original post by Andrew0409
I’m not sure what your question is. I’ve explained both Henley vs Manchester above.

just to clarify, Henley is the business school at Uni of Reading if that’s where the confusion lies.

Gotcha! Not Henley and Reading was never the point of confusion for me. Actually, I had to pay the deposit of Reading by April 1 but the link is still open while I'm still waiting for the Manchester. So, I think I don't have an option but to pay the deposit of Reading for now and hope to get the reply from Manchester soon (about to be three months since I applied for Manchester). I'm anxiously waiting to get a reply from Manchester.

Thanks, man. Really grateful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending