The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Adult Nursing University of Manchester

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can give me an outline of how the day goes for Adult Nursing interviews.
Do we need to sit a Math and English test?
Has anyone rearranged their interview and got another date?
Any tips please?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Wanttobeanurse
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can give me an outline of how the day goes for Adult Nursing interviews.
Any tips please?

Heyy, I've been looking for the same info! All the other universities seem to have a really clear outline of the interview format and Manchester just says 'individual interview' so I think that maybe means a normal panel-style interview?

I had a look at old posts and I think they used to do the maths and english tests but there's no mention of it now, so maybe they've changed it? I don't think they would be doing them without warning you, at least that's what I'm hoping! Is yours next week?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
No mines on the 27th April and i contacted the Uni they said no Maths and English so wohooo...good luck with your interview and let me know how it goes xx
Hi i had an interview at manchester uni today was great! best expiance yet! find out yes or no next week hopfully! x
Original post by AmberNursing16
Hi i had an interview at manchester uni today was great! best expiance yet! find out yes or no next week hopfully! x

Hiya, I'm applying for adult nursing for sep 2017 entry and wondering how the interview was like, and what questions they asked? :smile: im applying soon and any tips on how to structure and what to include in the personal statement? Thanks:smile:
Hi,
I am also applying to UOM for sept 17 and any tips would be greatly appreciated. Im 31 coming up for 32 so nervous about all this uni stuff but determined also :biggrin:
I'm a first year nursing student at UoM :smile:
In terms of your personal statement they like to know about your experience of caring for people and transferable skills like, for instance, if you've had a part-time job in retail you've been able to develop the ability to work as part of a team. Have a look at the 6 Cs of nursing and give examples of how you've demonstrated these values.
My interview day started with a presentation about studying nursing at Manchester then we showed our ID and documents as required (they tell you what you need with plenty of notice). There were current nursing students around to talk to us about their experiences and answer any questions all day which was super helpful and helped pass the time (the wait can be long if you're one of the last to be seen!) and there was free lunch too!
Good luck guys, if you have any more questions I'll happily try my best to answer them!
Original post by abbiekennedy27
I'm a first year nursing student at UoM :smile:
In terms of your personal statement they like to know about your experience of caring for people and transferable skills like, for instance, if you've had a part-time job in retail you've been able to develop the ability to work as part of a team. Have a look at the 6 Cs of nursing and give examples of how you've demonstrated these values.
My interview day started with a presentation about studying nursing at Manchester then we showed our ID and documents as required (they tell you what you need with plenty of notice). There were current nursing students around to talk to us about their experiences and answer any questions all day which was super helpful and helped pass the time (the wait can be long if you're one of the last to be seen!) and there was free lunch too!
Good luck guys, if you have any more questions I'll happily try my best to answer them!

Thankyou! I made sure to include those in my personal statement. What questions do they ask at the interview? And how are you liking the course so far? Thanks!:smile:
Thanks for that abbie, i sent my application in 3 weeks ago now which isnt long but waiting to here from places is killing me lol
Original post by JayraWilliams
Thankyou! I made sure to include those in my personal statement. What questions do they ask at the interview? And how are you liking the course so far? Thanks!:smile:

You're very welcome! I study Mental Health Nursing but the questions will be similar for the Adult and Child fields too. From what I remember at the UoM interview they asked why I chose nursing and why this particular field, what qualities do I have that would make me a good nurse (lovely opportunity to talk about the core values of nursing!), and they gave me a scenario. I was a bit worried about the scenario question but I think it's mostly an opportunity for you to show that you're able to be considerate and think on your feet as well as acknowledge that you want to study nursing to learn how exactly to deal with the sort of situation being asked about.
It's early days yet but I'm so glad I chose to study this course here at UoM! I was concerned about not being deserving of my place at uni but with time it'll get easier to accept that the uni believes in you because they've seen potential that definitely can be reached. The nursing students I've met and the staff are super friendly and so supportive, and honestly it is very possible to have a social life outside of studying!
Original post by Johnboi1985
Thanks for that abbie, i sent my application in 3 weeks ago now which isnt long but waiting to here from places is killing me lol

Good luck! :smile: Can't believe this time last year I was checking UCAS Track multiple times a day, the waiting really is nerve-wracking but should be worth it!
Hi guys,

Im applying for adult nursing for 2017, just wanted to know how was the interview and what did it involve
Original post by Wanttobeanurse
Hi,

Any tips please?

Hi,

If you have any specific questions regarding the tests or the process of the interviews, I would suggest you contact the department at +44 (0)161 306 7600 or email [email protected]

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Sophie
You're very welcome! I study Mental Health Nursing but the questions will be similar for the Adult and Child fields too. From what I remember at the UoM interview they asked why I chose nursing and why this particular field, what qualities do I have that would make me a good nurse (lovely opportunity to talk about the core values of nursing!), and they gave me a scenario. I was a bit worried about the scenario question but I think it's mostly an opportunity for you to show that you're able to be considerate and think on your feet as well as acknowledge that you want to study nursing to learn how exactly to deal with the sort of situation being asked about.
It's early days yet but I'm so glad I chose to study this course here at UoM! I was concerned about not being deserving of my place at uni but with time it'll get easier to accept that the uni believes in you because they've seen potential that definitely can be reached. The nursing students I've met and the staff are super friendly and so supportive, and honestly it is very possible to have a social life outside of studying!

Thank you for providing this information :smile: I have sent my application a week ago and have received an interview from salford i am now waiting for replies from other unis especially manchester fingers crossed! What was the scenario question if you don't mind? Like what does the scenario questions revolve around and how would you reply as best as possible to it? Thankyou so much ,sorry for bothering you!💜
Original post by University Of Manchester
Hi,

If you have any specific questions regarding the tests or the process of the interviews, I would suggest you contact the department at +44 (0)161 306 7600 or email [email protected]

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Sophie

Hi Sophie,

Any idea of when the nursing interviews will be given out? the waiting is a killer haha any info would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by Johnboi1985
Hi Sophie,

Any idea of when the nursing interviews will be given out? the waiting is a killer haha any info would be appreciated :smile:

Hi,

Unfortunately we don't have this information. It would be best to call the department and ask them. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Good luck,
Sophie
Original post by University Of Manchester
Hi,

Unfortunately we don't have this information. It would be best to call the department and ask them. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Good luck,
Sophie

Hi Sophie, could you please let me know if the maths and english tests are still being used part of the interview process for adult nursing as i remember last year we had an admission staff come in saying the tests have been removed? I would like to know if this is still the case as this would be very helpful. Thank you :smile:
Original post by JayraWilliams
Thank you for providing this information :smile: I have sent my application a week ago and have received an interview from salford i am now waiting for replies from other unis especially manchester fingers crossed! What was the scenario question if you don't mind? Like what does the scenario questions revolve around and how would you reply as best as possible to it? Thankyou so much ,sorry for bothering you!💜

It's no bother! Good luck for your interview at Salford! Honestly I can't really remember the scenario, though I think the idea of it is to get you to think on your feet as you will have to as a practicing nurse in the future. I'd say take your time and be honest if you don't know the exact medical ins and outs of what you would do in that situation :smile:
It's no bother! Good luck for your interview at Salford! Honestly I can't really remember the scenario, though I think the idea of it is to get you to think on your feet as you will have to as a practicing nurse in the future. I'd say take your time and be honest if you don't know the exact medical ins and outs of what you would do in that situation :smile:

Thankyou!! Also, do you know how long you waited until you had an interview from manchester? I havent heard yet :frown:!
Did anyone get in with a btec extended diploma in health and social care ? Or with only 2 GCSe(maths and english) and d rest btec. I hear manchester is very hard to get in. Ive got 3 Distinction* in h&s and C in maths and English and d rest are btec qualification.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply