The Student Room Group

1st or 2.1 ???

I'm in my final year of accounting and finance and am currently weighing up the differences between a 1st and a 2.1.

The position I'm in now is that I have 60 credits left to complete in my degree. I need an A in 40 of those credits to get a 1st, however, I've been having a massive build up of anxiety lately and it's making me not want to do any work at all.

Will there be any difference, realistically, in my future if I get a 1st? I have a graduate job lined up already, so it's not an issue there.

I'm just concerned that I'll have wasted a great opportunity to get a fantastic result at uni, solely due to my temporary anxiety problem.

Either way I'll graduate with a good 2.1 and have a job lined up. I'm just wondering whether it's worth putting myself through hell for these next few months to graduate with a 1st????
Surely having a 1st is the biggest achievement. Uni life only comes once. That 'first class' degree will stay with you for life. Having said that, MOST jobs require 2:1 and there are other aspects which make you a better candidate. Firms aren't so particular about you getting a first.
If you have experience, good communication skills and practical life skills, you will sail through in life.

So if you are feeling really anxious, don't strain yourself too much, because having a 2:1 is more than enough and already a high degree. But if you think you are definitely capable of first, then a little more hard work wouldn't hurt.

Just weigh between pride, necessity, capability, and what YOU want to achieve in your life.
Reply 2
Original post by walkers38
Surely having a 1st is the biggest achievement. Uni life only comes once. That 'first class' degree will stay with you for life. Having said that, MOST jobs require 2:1 and there are other aspects which make you a better candidate. Firms aren't so particular about you getting a first.
If you have experience, good communication skills and practical life skills, you will sail through in life.

So if you are feeling really anxious, don't strain yourself too much, because having a 2:1 is more than enough and already a high degree. But if you think you are definitely capable of first, then a little more hard work wouldn't hurt.

Just weigh between pride, necessity, capability, and what YOU want to achieve in your life.

I believe I can get A's in both my exams, so that's 20 credits. However, the other 20 credits would need to be achieved in one of my group projects I have this semester. One of those is too far gone now, not possible. The other I am in a shitty group and so have no idea whether an A is attainable or not.

It's just really stressing me out knowing I might graduate with the most ridiculous 2.1 ever (basically 69.5+%), and the pressure of needing to get a 1st to avoid that missed opportunity is causing me to procrastinate to no end.

Everyone I know expects me to graduate with a 1st as well, it just seems like if I get a 2.1 it will be quite disappointing.

Do people really care, say 3+ years following graduation, what your degree classification was? I'll have my professional qualification through ICAEW by then...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending