The Student Room Group

How do I stand out when applying for Aerospace and Aeronautical Engineering?

Need help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MaleVip
Need help

I applied to university with AACC at AS level, 3 A's, 5B's and 2C's at gcse and watched people with way better grades than me get rejected, I got all 5 offers and now studying aerospace. This is because I proved I had lots of experience. Experience doesn't necessarily have to mean actual work experience as in working in some company for few weeks, and it's pretty hard to get work experience in engineering anyway. You can buy an arduino electronics kit online for about 30£ and begin learning the basics of electronics as well as some really really basic C programming because you will be using them 100% in every university projects.

If you're interested in the design of aeroplanes then you can take a look into topics such as bezier curves and how it can be used to create basic shapes of aerofoils. Or perhaps you are fascinated by how autopilots in planes work (which was the case for me) so I looked into how its done, which lead me to read a lot on control theory and the different types of control algorithms out there (PID, Model predictive, LQT, etc) and I also found out Laplace transform is something that is used a lot in engineering/control theory so I learnt that on khan academy. So although I was in no position to understand all the hard maths about the control algorithms out there, i definitely had an idea what it was and the kind of maths used such as laplace transform which I learnt and put all of that on my ucas. Actually not only did reading about control theory before university look great on my ucas application, but its helped me whilst at uni. I'm currently working on a project with a bunch of PHD students where I'm designing a PID controller for a sailing boat's rudder (they think I'm a phd student too but Im actually in first year lol).

Then lastly you wanna make sure you're well rounded so do the general extra curricular stuff like NCS, volunteering, Student voice/student leadership team in your school.

The main point is instead of buying some boring ass book about aeroplanes actually learn something thats useful. you dont have to go and learn all the stuff I've mentioned, it was relevant in my case but maybe in your case you are interested in something else, if you say what really interests you, I might be able to point to some topics that you can look into for your level. But definitely get an arduino kit, will help you soo much during university and not just the process.
Reply 2
Thank you very much! I really appreciate your lengthy writing!

Oh man, that really helped. I was panicking for the fact I have low chances to enter any summer schooQl! I sure can learn things own my own!

Thnx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MaleVip
I really appreciate your lengthy writing!

:rofl2:
Original post by MaleVip

Oh man, that really helped. I was panicking for the fact I have low chances to enter any summer schooQl! I sure can learn things own my own!

Thnx

Posted from TSR Mobile

np, but there are lots of summer schools out there. I will recommend you check out Bath and Warwick, I went to them and they were amazing. Theres also nuffield research
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
I am tired hunting for summer schools.. Every program I have see require 5 A*/A

I only have 4 A*\A!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MaleVip
I am tired hunting for summer schools.. Every program I have see require 5 A*/A

I only have 4 A*\A!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Its cos you're only looking at uniq and Sutton, others dont require high grades let alone 5 A*'s. I applied with zero A*'s.
Reply 7
Original post by MaleVip

Thnx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also look at subject tasters / masterclasses at local unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's aerospace not medicine, they don't really care as long as your grades somewhat resemble what they're asking for lol

If you want to prepare yourself then yes, get an arduino, learn how to do some programming some form of C (you could do python instead and that might teach you better programming habits but as long as you follow online tutorials for C/#/++ it'll teach you the same stuff plus other more useful things), learn about laplace and maybe fourier, learn about PID (both the theory and implementation). If you do those things it will make your first two years a lot easier, arguably to the point of boredom, but they're things that can easily be learned in your spare time.
Reply 9
I am learning Object oriented programming on Java.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Is programming even used in aernautics/aerospace???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MaleVip
Is programming even used in aernautics/aerospace???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

Yes, Pretty much everything you will do will involve programming or can be done better and efficiently if programming is involved. Let it be designing planes, electronics, the physics of flight etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MaleVip
Need help

Defy gravity.

Kidding aside, work experience, commercial awareness, genuine awareness and understanding of how the industry works, being able to take at length why you PERSONALLY want to go into the industry, your goals and ambitions for your career.

Work experience is ESSENTIAL, simply because it shows your genuinely motivated, and also provides the requisite material for which you can discuss your interest at length.
Reply 13
Original post by apronedsamurai
Defy gravity.

Kidding aside, work experience, commercial awareness, genuine awareness and understanding of how the industry works, being able to take at length why you PERSONALLY want to go into the industry, your goals and ambitions for your career.

Work experience is ESSENTIAL, simply because it shows your genuinely motivated, and also provides the requisite material for which you can discuss your interest at length.

(Relevant) work experience is pretty much impossible to get, and absolutely not expected or required when applying for an engineering degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
(Relevant) work experience is pretty much impossible to get, and absolutely not expected or required when applying for an engineering degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hm, my careers advisor told me differently :s-smilie:
I like bigboateng's ideas a lot. To add to that, what I found useful in my applications was online beginner's courses I did which helped me talk about aspects of aerospace which particularly interest me. They didn't take long to do and my Cambridge interviewers asked me quite a bit about the courses I did which made for nice conversation (although I wasn't ultimately successful :colondollar:)
Reply 16
Original post by apronedsamurai
Hm, my careers advisor told me differently :s-smilie:

Perhaps, but they are wrong.

Getting work experience DURING your degree is definitely a good idea.

But it's very hard to persuade engineering companies to take on -18s for work experience. Universities know this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Student403
I like bigboateng's ideas a lot. To add to that, what I found useful in my applications was online beginner's courses I did which helped me talk about aspects of aerospace which particularly interest me. They didn't take long to do and my Cambridge interviewers asked me quite a bit about the courses I did which made for nice conversation (although I wasn't ultimately successful :colondollar:)

Wait so did u get into cam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MaleVip
Wait so did u get into cam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

"although I wasn't ultimately successful" = nope :P
Reply 19
Original post by Student403
"although I wasn't ultimately successful" = nope :P

They probably rejected you cause of ur profile pic!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest